Friday 15 May 2009

Pry Bars - woodworking, shark


This is absolutely my favorite hand tool ever. You can't imagine the usefulness of it until you have one in your hand. It eclipses all other pry bars. For trim it is simply outstanding. You can remove delicate moldings without damage. I have never used another bar that even comes close for this. It pulls the smallest of nails with ease , even nails without a head. The claw grips the shank like a vise. It also works on larger nails. You can lift drywall with it. You can scrape with it. The list of uses is unending and it gets longer every day.Buy about five of these because everyone who touches it will want one. Highly recommended. Shark Corp 21-2225 10-Inch Prybar and Nail Puller

This is a great compliment to the smaller model; the extra length works better on glue coat and ring shank nails that are well set. The flat end will get under trim almost as easily as a putty knife. The cat's paw nail puller is very sharp, both the tips and the slot, so it will grip headless nails with just a tap on the heel. The one caution: when using the cat's paw end, wear a leather glove to protect the palm of your hand from the sharp corners of the wide blade when yanking on it.I also use it to do some scraping and cleaning out inside corners. The heel of the cat's paw also can be used as a tack hammer. You will find more uses for this tool everytime you go to work. The quality of the forging and finish is great. Add one to your tool box today!

My only complaint is that I misplace mine too often! I do recommend the 10" over the 8", the extra leverage is appreciated. Excellent, tough steel that can be pounded and yet resharpened. In a tight spot, I even use the Shark like a chisel. With a bit of finesse, it will also pull headless finish nails. For more physical work, the Estwing is a similarly nice tool.

If you work with trim you need this tool. I am a remodeler and if you want to remove trim or molding without harming it this is a must have tool. The thin bladelike end will go under the most delicate moulding without leaving a mark

When we pulled up our carpet we found, to our surprise, hardwood floors underneath. While it was a terrific find, we discovered (at least) one problem: A former owner had apparently tried to fix floor squeaks by (seemingly) randomly pounding common nails of varying lengths into the floor. The heads were all flush with or even below the surface of the floor. Nothing in my toolbox had a chance of pulling them - but then I came across this wonderful little tool.



Causing little or no damage to the floor, the Shark pulled up nearly a hundred nails with 100% success. I actually started hoping I would find more nails as we pulled up more carpet.



And the sliver-thin pry is amazing as well. I was able to take up the tack strips in their entirety without hardly a sound, and removing molding is now amazingly smooth.



The Shark is definitely one of the best $20 tool purchases I have ever made!

I've had two size Shark tools for over 1 year now. They are absolutely outstanding. I've found them to be much better than standard pry bars. These tools are light weight. Their prying end starts very slim enabling you to get started easily on any pry job (for example, great for prying off fence boards. I highly recommend one (or even two if you select the two sizes) to have with you always.

I've used this tool all over the house with various remodeling projects from baseboards to wood flooring to entire bathrooms. It is a must have to remove things (i.e. demolition work) because the flat tapered edge wedges into tiny cracks.



Here are some things I have done:

-Removed baseboard all over the house.

-Removed wood closet shelving that was nailed into the wall.

-Lifted particleboard underlayment flooring and pried the staples.

-Used the flat edge to pry up a nail so I have enough room to grab it with the claws on the other end.



Almost anytime I have to remove something that is nailed, glued, or stapled down, I reach for this tool.

This is now a permanent addition to my primary handyman tool bag. It puts my old pry bars to shame and the ability to pull nails where the heads had stripped is a real attribute. Nice sharp (careful!) pry end enables getting behind material and I also bought the 8-Inch model as they work as a great team to move along trim and such to remove trim and such without breaking anything.

I have had 4 of these prybars. The Super-Thin Tempered Blade get behind the trim & molding to remove it with virtually no damage to the molding & wall itself. If you do not care about a wood piece, the Claw on it will dig down into the wood to pull the nail even without the head. TO ME THESE BARS ARE SECOND TO NONE.

I have used other bars like this and I felt like I was using a big fat chisel because the tapering was to blunt (to thick to fast) and did more damage to the wood & wall.

The reason needed 4 bars. 1 misplaced, 1 to replace the misplaced one till I find it, 2 wanted by co-workers (they threw their old prybar to the side after they used mine). They liked it better then their old bars.

This is a great contractor grade tool. It is great for removing moulding or baseboards. The nail puller was very good even for nailgun nails. Remember it is a small tool so if your trying to pull apart 2x4's nailed together you wont have enough leverage. - Pry Bars - Shark - Woodworking'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Pry Bars - woodworking, shark pry bars Pry Bars - woodworking, shark