Friday 15 May 2009

Light Switch - programmable timer switch, timer


Pros:

- Clear installation instructions.

- Easy to program the automatic sunset/sunrise times.

- Informative display.

- Built-in rechargeable backup battery; no need to replace disposable batteries.

- Works well with LED bulbs (I am using an INCU7W 7W LED bulb). See below.



Cons:

- Pricey (I have seen timers for about $25).

- No long-term experience with the built-in rechargeable battery.

- Display is difficult to read unless the backlight is on.



Notes:

1. If you want to use the automatic sunset/sunrise time to control a load, you need to perform 3 steps: program the time/date, set your latitude and longitude, and finally set one on/off event.



2. My previous timer, an Intermatic EJ500 timer, did not turn off the power completely when it should have been off. This problem became evident when I replaced an incandescent bulb with a LED bulb. The LED bulb would blink every few seconds while the timer was in the "off" position. I did not notice it when I used an incandescent bulb because the latter needs much more power to generate light than the LED bulb. The blinking did not consume much power, but many guests told me that my light is burnt out. The problem was rectified by installing the Leviton VPT24. Leviton VPT24-1PZ Vizia + 1800W Incandescent, 15A Resistive, Inductive 1HP 24-Hour Timer with Astronomical Clock, White/Ivory/Light Almond

I bought the Leviton because it was the only timer switch I could find that changed sunset times and was available in light almond color. The switch comes packaged with ivory, light almond, and white faceplates. It has 5 wires on the back (one each for: power, load, neutral, ground, and 3-way switch operation). Instructions were clear and the switch installed easily. Because the switch is a little big, the directions recommend a switch box 2.5 inches in depth.



Programming was not difficult since the directions are very good (IMHO), but it was not intuitive and the directions are a must have. There are two setup options, pro and standard. The standard setup is conisderably simpler and basically is used if you only want to do time-on and time-off programming. If you want to take advantage of the switches sunset, sunrise, and daylight savings time options you will need to perform the Pro setup. I can't imagine why someone would pay the extra money for this switch and then not use the solar functions. I programmed the switch in about 5 minutes and it came on perfectly at "sunset" for my lattitude/longitude. With the built in battery I'm hoping I'll never have to program the switch again.

I needed an astronomical timer in Light Almond, so this was the default choice. The lede is that this timer installs easy, has easy-to-understand program options, and works great.



Having installed and used another brand of astronomic timer in the past, this was a very familiar process. It's a simple matter of connecting up all of the wires- the hardest part of the whole job is tucking the wires back into the box. The two main things to watch for in the installation are: 1) You must have a neutral at the box and 2) You must know which is the "line" side and which is the "load" side of the hot wire.



Programming is straightforward and simple, and accomplishes my dusk-to-dawn mission. I can see where others might want a little more flexibility in the offset function, but up to 50 programmable events can make up for most of that.



Operation is simple as well. The timer has an easy to read display and the faceplate acts as a manual switch, if manual operation is ever necessary. I have 3 of these in operation, with the longest just 6 weeks old, so I can't give a complete grade on reliability, but I haven't had any problems so far.



Leviton has a couple of interesting quirks in their timer compared to the competition, but if you do your research beforehand, you will know exactly what you are getting with this timer. And, as I said, Leviton is the only company that makes an astronomic timer in Light Almond, so I was pleasantly surprised that my only choice was a good choice!

Looking for a way to control my outdoor soffit lighting and this product is exactly what I was searching for. Soffit lighting is 10W LED spots so the cost to run them from dusk to 11 pm every night is minimal. The timer is set to turn on 30 minutes after dusk using the off-set option and turn off at 11pm.



I've been using the timer for 1 month but has worked flawlessly. In another year I will know how well the it tracks to dusk in my area. Also the backup battery works with loss of power. Will see how well the battery performs with time.

That switch is awesome. It's easy to still use it as a regular switch yet it turns on our outdoor lights on schedule as programmed. It's a great way to set lights with a timer that don't plug into the wall. It was also really easy to program. Very nice product. I am very impressed with this switch.

This timer switch works exactly as advertised. It's easy to install if you have a little basic knowledge about electrical circuits, and, with the help of the manual, easy to set up. I love that it "knows" when sunrise and sunset are, so I don't have to keep changing the light-on time manually as the seasons change. The programming options are almost insanely flexible: you could have the switch turn on/off at different times every day of the week, several times each day, if you want. (I just have it turn the switch on at sunset every day.) Overriding the programmed on/off times is very easy: just press the switch, and if the light's on, it goes off; if it's off, it goes on.



I have this set up to operate a lamp with 3 compact fluorescent bulbs (7 watts each), and it works perfectly. This item is a bit pricey at $47, but if it continues to be this hassle free (it has a 5 year warranty), it's worth every penny.



EDITED ON 3/19/11:

The switch still works, but even though it was set to turn on at sundown every day, somehow it started turning on at a fixed time (4:27 pm). I don't know how this happened - as far as I know no one has been fiddling with it. I set it to turn on at sundown again, and we'll see if the problem persists.



ALSO, regarding another review stating that this switch doesn't work with CFLs: that most definitely is NOT the case. It works with my lamp, which has 3 CFLs, 7 watts each. - Solar - Programmable Timer Switch - Leviton - Timer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Light Switch - programmable timer switch, timer programmable timer switch Light Switch - programmable timer switch, timer