Sunday 3 May 2009

Power Tool Accessories - power tool accessories, modeling


The Proxxon KT70 is a great XY table. I have purchased two of them so far, for use as part of the Nano Gigapan project to allow us to take high resolution mosaiced images under microscopes.



You can take the knobs off and couple them to stepper motors fairly easily, and thus have an automated xy stage for a fraction of the price of equipment designed for microscopy.



The KT70 moves 1 mm per turn of the handles, and a 115x microscope has about a .75 mm field of view, so there is plenty of precision and accuracy in the KT70 for this purpose. In fact, the KT70 has 20 hash marks per revolution, so each hash mark is 50 microns. From my measurements the table has the accuracy to repeatably hit these marks.



That does point out one issue for Americans - everything is metric. 50 micros = 0.0019 inches - about 2 thousandths.



If you google 'Nano Gigapan' you'll find our project, along with examples of using the KT70 in scientific applications. Proxxon 27100 Micro Compound Table KT 70

My expienense with proxxon micro compound table kt 70 is that it is supprisingly well engineered for such a small light table it is made of alunimun but seems to have an anodize on it. Anyway I was supprised when I machined a piece of brass on it and got a pretty good finish no wavy lines, for the hobbiest such as myself its worth the money.

This is an extremely useful table for precision machining and I use it a lot. It isnt necessarily perfectly adjusted from the factory so it's worth taking a little time to adjust it for best fit/motion. Some have a bit of slop in the top table, do some minor adjustments and you'll be rewarded with slop free movement and smooth sliding. I don't use the included clamps often, they are good, but I hold odd shapes in mine so I have my own clamp system in place. Standard 1/4-20 bolts fit the slots so just about any standard 3rd party attachments will fit ( within reason given the table size) which extends it's usefulness immensely. I've fitted my stand with an LED lamp for better visibility as well when milling or drilling.



The table is strong and the mechanism seems sturdy and well protected from general debris. The handscrew adjustment precision is excellent and it doesn't vibrate loose and out of position as some milling tables can do.



Overall a 5 star product to me. - Power Tool Accessories - Modeling'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Power Tool Accessories - power tool accessories, modeling modeling Power Tool Accessories - power tool accessories, modeling