Saturday 30 May 2009

Master Lock - door lock, kwikset


I bought this lock to replace an existing lock. I had never replaced a lock, but the directions were easy to understand. It took me less than 10 minutes to remove the old one and install this one. It looks good, feels solid, and works just fine.



Though I did not have to use this feature, it is possible to adjust the setback from 2 3/8" to 2 3/4".



If you are looking for an affordable, easy-to-install lock, this one would fit the bill. Based upon this experience, I would not hesitate to buy another Master Lock in the future. Master Lock BAO0115 Ball Keyed Entry Door Knob, Satin Nickel

I'm not "handy" in the least yet these were a snap to install. I love these -- the only problem is the price keeps going up. But I found these very easy to install. My wife loves them and we want to slowly redo our house with these. One note of importance is all of the keys are interchangeable so if you're using this for your master bedroom and your walk in closet the same over sized key will work on each and every lock. This would be a problem if you were in a roommate situation where you need individual locks for each room. As I live in a family house, I love these and it keeps my 2 1/2 year old daughter out of my studio. It's also far more beautiful than the gold ones that were on there. It matches our brushed Satin fridge.



EDIT:



I have to add that some knobs use different keys and some the same. I never know which is which and it's a bit confusing and I not have these all over my house. I still love them and wouldn't remove a star for this reason. Just be aware of this.

I had these mounted on an interior door in my house, and the only problem I had was that they turned in the wrong direction to open. I ended up losing the keys in the middle of the night, and a locksmith wanted $150... so I set out to destroy these knobs as quietly as possible. I tried smashing the door in...didn't work. The striker held in the frame. The door was flexing and starting to separate, but the knobs stayed strong. I took the largest screwdriver I had, and began to pry and pry and pry, destroying the door. I ended up using two wrenches, one as a fulcrum, and just prying in every direction until the thing started to bend and look terrible.



It took me 30 minutes to destroy these stupid knobs. Could you do it quicker with a sledgehammer, an angle grinder, or a large drill bit? Oh yeah. That being said, these are a good set of medium-duty door knobs. It would take some real work to get through these without waking you up.

Re: Master Lock BAO0115 locking doorknob



The only problem I encountered (if it can be called a problem) is that the striker plate was shaped slightly different than the knob setup I was removing. Specifically, the position of the hole in the door jamb was positioned back slightly, requiring more effort on the door for the latch to secure properly. I tried adjusting the plate's position to no avail. So I just re-used the plate from the previous setup and the problem is solved.



Otherwise, this Master Lock(R) brand locking doorknob is well-made with quality materials and feels quite solid. It is also very reasonably priced and I find great value in this piece of household hardware. 5 stars

Installed in a few minutes and it feels solid. However, I don't know if I installed it wrong or if it's designed this way, seems like you can only open the door turning it one way (towards the hinge), I'm used to knobs that can open turning either way so I get thrown off. - Doorknobs - Door Lock - Handlesets - Kwikset'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Master Lock - door lock, kwikset handlesets Master Lock - door lock, kwikset