Wednesday 27 May 2009

Knife Block - knife block, ginsu


I saw this knife set in a Consumers Report magazine and they were VERY highly rated. The good thing about these knives is that you get solid quality and performance but for much less than a Henckels or Wusthof type knife. I'm not a professional chef by any means so I don't need to drop $300 - $500 on knives but the set I was using before was ridiculous. Long story short, these knives cut great and they even feel like a really solid product. I sort of smirked when I saw the name Ginsu. I still have those old-time infomercials in my mind's eye but I guess Ginsu really is a legit brand name. I am definitely satisfied with this purchase! Ginsu 7108 Chikara 8-Piece Stainless-Steel Knife Set with Bamboo Block

Just like everyone said these knives are very sharp and have stayed that way so far. The bamboo knife block and the handles are very well made and look very good. I have avoided rusting by cleaning and drying the knives as soon as im done with them. A quality product.

Like many other reviewers, this was an upgrade from your cheap stamped (cut from one sheet of metal) knives. These are razor sharp and cut through just about anything without effort. I was able to compare the Santoku knife to a Wusthof knife, which alone cost as much as this set; and the Ginsu knife wins. Better feel (weight), look, and sharper.



Now for a few quibbles/comments:

1. When purchasing this set, I liked the fact that it came with a Chef's Knife and a Santoku. Now I don't use the Chef's Knife at all, I always reach for the Santoku knife instead.

2. The shears look very cheap compared to the rest of the set, although they are plenty sharp.

3. The serrated knife is good to have (I guess), but I've only used it for grapefruit thus so far.

4. The utility knife (non-serrated) has gone almost unused.



So in sum, great set at great price. I really only needed (and use) the santoku, paring, and steel (to hone).



Note: Reviewers complaining about rust just almost certainly have not taken proper care of their knives. These should be hand washed and dried immediately after use. Don't think about putting them in the dishwasher unless you don't care about rust or appearance.

I am absolutely in love with this Chikara set. The first compliment I received came 5 minutes after it arrived and I set it on my kitchen countertop. The holder is a beautiful caramel color that the picture does not do justice. After 2 weeks of using this item, I can say that the 8 piece set is enough for someone who cooks a few times a day. The most useful knives that I have found is the 7-inch Santoku and 5-inch utility knife. I use the Chef's knife once in awhile but found that the Santoku does the work just fine. They come extremely sharp but for the edge to last longer, you should hone it after one heavy use or two light uses.In addition, they are forged and not stamped. As a lifetime user of stamped knives, the fact that they are forged makes a huge difference. Each slice carries more weight the the old stamped knives. If you don't know the difference, google it. You'll find it informative.Overall, these knives were a bargain for the burden of work they accomplish and look beautiful. They have sleek beautiful handles and are just the right size for a standard kitchen. They look and feel a lot more expensive than they are.If you get this set, make sure you read up on how to treat your knives and it will last a lot longer. Here are some golden rules:1) Hone your knives, Sharpen once a year.

They are various informative videos on Youtube that tell you how to HONE your knives. They should be done after every use to keep it sharp and long-lasting. Sharpening is only done once a year. The set comes with a steel rod which is okay for honing. It takes a few times to master it but once you do, your knives will stay sharp and your preparation time will be a fraction of what it used to be. If a college student can do it, you can do it.)2) Rinse as soon as you're done with it. Dish detergent can be used. Hot water is okay. Most importantly, you MUST dry it off after you use it. Make sure that from tip to handle, everything is toweled off before putting it back in the holder. Try not to cut acidic things with your nice knives but if you do, rinse it quickly.3) Handwash, no dishwashers. In a nutshell, it causes it to rust and ruins the handle.4 Keep it in the holder or invest in a traveler. If you just stick it in the drawer it will get dull very fast and ruins your knives. If you travel with it, get a traveling holder.5) Get a decent cutting board. No glass, no marble, wood is best, plastic is okay. Nothing dulls a knife faster than repeated banging against stone/glass.6) Be reasonable with your usage. No one in their right mind will open a can of tuna with their knife when a dollar will buy you a can opener.I will post an update with this product in a few months. So far, it has been the most wonderful and much needed addition to my kitchen.**UPDATE: 12/20/10

The serrated knife that came with the set cut through a thick, tough shoulder cut of steak like it was a piece of cake. No sawing required! Still amazed!**UPDATE: 9/3/2011

Still the favorite set in my apartment. I have been honing it extensively and the knives have not lost their sharpness or edge. The santoku has two small spots of rust on them already from lazy roommates that don't wipe off the water. But I digress, I still love these knives and will probably still love it more than my first born child.

I have had this knife set for about 2 weeks, and here are my impressions so far:



-Package was shipped well. Knives were individually wrapped and protected to prevent dulling during shipping, and block had no chips/scratches or anything of that nature.



-Nice balance in the hand. Feels "good" to wield, easy to control when cutting. Handles are best sized for someone with smaller hands, I think. Someone with huge hands might wish the handles were bigger.



-Quite sharp right out of the box, and stays that way if you hone the knives before each use, or at least every other use. Unfortunately, I had to go to the Ginsu website to read their instructions for honing the knives, as no such instructions were included in the packaging. Honing is important: by honing properly before each use, the knife stays sharper for longer, meaning safer+easier cutting and fewer trips to a knife shop to have the set sharpened again.



-Love the Santoku knife, use it more than any other knife in the set. Great for chopping and dicing.



-No proper bread knife in this set. Seems like an oversight to me, since a bread knife is one of those must-have things in a knife set. The serrated 5-inch knife can be used as a bread knife if the loaf is small and the crust is not too thick. Still, they should have included a real bread knife.



-Bamboo knife block is of good quality, and it looks good on the counter. Still, I wish it had been designed like most knife blocks where the knives rest at an angle in the block. It makes it easier to get the knives out and put them back, especially in a crowded kitchen where the block is crammed against the wall among other things.



Overall, I think this is an extremely good knife set for the money, and I am glad that I bought it. Treat the knives well by honing them every time and drying them immediately after use, and they will treat you well in return. I bought this knife set because it had such good reviews here and in Consumer Reports, and nothing in my experience so far has contradicted those good reviews.



If you need a knife set, you can't do better than this set for the money, in my opinion. - Knife Set With Block - Knife Block Sets - Knife Block - Ginsu'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Knife Block - knife block, ginsu knife block sets Knife Block - knife block, ginsu