Monday 11 May 2009

Khakis


I bought these when they were heavily discounted. For the price I paid, I'm happy with them. They have a very loose cut compared to what I'm used to, but you'll appreciate it if you want them to hang over your muck boots. They would still pass for casual attire in a lot of places. Stitching is on par with Carhartt, which means the fabric will wear out before the seams do. Pockets are reinforced to accommodate clip knives and multitools, which is cool. Fabric appears to be identical to the lighter-weight Carhartt stuff, meaning that I would wear them if I was raking leaves or on a long hike, but not if I was clearing brush or framing a house, so if you want ruff 'n tuff work pants, these ain't it. For super-heavy-duty pants that are comparably-priced, try a certain high-end work wear company from, ahem, Duluth. Mountain Khakis Men's Original Mountain Pant, Freestone, 38x32

This is in my opinion probably the best pair of khakis I've ever bought. Up to now, my khakis -- which have to be part of our work "uniform" at the office -- , though in general reasonably well designed, were usually made out of thin fabric, and so they haven't held up: after several months, the back pockets wore out: I got holes in them, from keeping my wallet in there. Not this pair of pants. Made of heavier fabric, sturdy but good-looking at the same time, with one of the best fits I ever had, I can only highly recommend it. A nice feature is that you have a double right pocket; very neat and useful. Whether you work on the shop floor or in an office, for your leisure activities, that's the kind of khaki you would choose.

My favorite pair of pants is an old American made pair of Orvis rhinohide pants. Basically, a sort of sailcloth made into jeans. I don't like the dumb leathery bits, but I like the tough cloth and the good fit. Orvis, alas, outsourced their production to various third world places, and now their "rhinohide" is poorly fit, and made of garbage cloth. Someone told me these mountain khakis would be comparable items. Well, they're OK, but they're nowhere near as good.



First off: these pants are made in China. Chinese made pants are not as good as American pants. They also make a big deal about somehow being based in Wyoming -nowhere is it mentioned on their website that these pants are made in China. American made is tough to find now a days, I know, but at this price point ... they really should be made in Wyoming.

Second: the cloth may be 10 oz cloth, but it isn't what I would characterize as sturdy cloth. I haven't torn these pants, and hope not to since they cost me almost $80, but I'm less sure of them than I was of my orvis, filson or duluth firehose pants. It's just not that reassuring a fabric. No way I'd use these puppies working underneath my car, but I wouldn't have a problem with that with the other pants I mention, which I *have* worn working under a car without incident. I also wouldn't wear them while hunting: something I would and have done with those other pants.



There are neat features: double thickness at the rear trouser leg (I guess some people wear out their pants there, though I fail to see how this will help much), an extra band of reinforcing fabric at the waistband (not sure what good this does, but it looks ... sturdy), triple stitching, and the crotch gusset is pretty helpful. They also look OK, though they're cut a bit high for what they are. The double-pocket on the right hand side is silly. The standard issue yellowstone color is useless for any kind of serious field work and is fairly ugly for anything else: the cloth attracts dirt and looks filthy after it collects a bit of dust.

As for sizing: it's true in the waist, and long in the leg. In other words, if you're one of those fat bastards who think your Levis size is correct, add two inches to the waist measurement and subtract one from the length to get a proper fit with these pants. It's noteworthy that I have giant 26" powerlifting thighs and take a 33 or 34 waist, and these leave me plenty of room in the leg. If you're skinny, it's probably way too much room, but if you're muscular, they won't cut off your circulation.



Do they look good? Meh. They're fairly tight in the butt for a pair of khakis, which I guess girls will like, but they're also high on the waist, which makes you look like a dork if you tuck your shirts in. Honestly, an average pair of dockers fits and looks better. I guess if you're some REI hiker dude, these pants will look good on you. If you're a clothes horse, they're going to migrate to the back of your pants drawer, both for the ugly color, the way they attract dirt, and the fact that they're not real useful for rugged use. Some people swear by 'em. I'm not buying another pair.

According to my husband, father-in-law and father these are the best pants a man can own. They look pretty good (casual dinner ok) and are tougher than any other pant we have had. My husband goes through clothes like he was 5. Holes, grease stains, grass stains you name it and these have been wonderful to clean and held up to the abuse.

I have owned two pairs of these apparently durable pants. However both have ripped unexpectedly doing mundane things. Both ripped at seams on the leg and crouch. Quite upset about it, as it is apparent that these pants are designed to look durable but not to be durable

I own three pair of MK original mt pants. Great material, looks, strength, etc. - everything the other reviews say about the trousers rings true. I like these trousers and pretty much live in them.



I bought the trousers at different times: one pair in a store, two pair direct from the company, and one pair from Amazon. All were the same size, same style. HOWEVER, each pair of trousers I own fit differently. One pair is a lot fuller in the leg than the others; one pair has a higher rise than the others. There is no consistancy in how the trousers fit from one pair to the next.



I exchanged one pair ordered from the company because it was made incorrectly - one leg longer than the other. I then had to return the exchanged pair due to the same problem. Customer service is excellent and they will help with any problems.



When buying clothes, I expect the next item to fit like the last item. It would be great if each pair of MK trousers fit the same, but I now worry if I buy a new pair, am I going to have to exchange them?



I am giving the trousers two stars due to obvious sizing quality control issues the company has.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Khakis Khakis Khakis