Saturday 9 May 2009

Heavy-duty Staplers - stapler, home office


I've had no problems with this stapler, so I'd recommend to anyone for whom smaller staplers just aren't enough--that is, if you have to staple more than 25 sheets or so.



If you're not sure which variety of staples to put fill it with, the stapler has a guide printed on it for staple size and number of sheets:



1/4" staples: 2-25 sheets

3/8" staples: 25-60 sheets

1/2" staples: 40-90 sheets [I usually use these, since I'm usually stapling academic papers]

5/8" staples: 75-120 sheets

3/4" staples: 90-160 sheets Swingline Deluxe Heavy Duty Stapler (S7039005R)

I work in a college computer lab and we have one of these for student usage and there are several things I have learned over the years about this stapler:



1) It jams really easy when not used properly. (pressing down all the way and recommended sheet count; 30-160 sheets no more no less)



2) Once jammed it needs to be fixed before the stapler get used again or it will get worse.



3) Once it gets worse there is no unlocking the front access to unjam it, so you'll have no choice but to rip it apart.



Fixing this can become a daily chore as the stapler becomes older, the one I deal with is around 7 years old. Things to watch out for: The screws that attach the base to the stapler body are not secured on with a nut and tend to strip and not hold after a while, secure these with a nut, it should be a 10-32 screw, this will prevent future head aches; this jams and it jams badly, check the stapler regularly for jams, always remove the rear staple plunger before opening the forward latch, unless you just like watching a staple bar shoot across the room; and if repairs must be done do it some where with a large flat table, this stapler is held together primarily by 5 pins, 2 screws, and 4 pin clips, and the pin clips tend to go flying when they are removed. The the stapler is made up of 5 primary parts, the base, the mounting bracket, the body (which is made up of multiple affixed parts), the staple pressure arm (plunger), front access door, and handle.



Over all this is a decent stapler but to avoid having to deal with the above you can either keep an eye on the stapler or make like Milton in office space and try not to let anybody else touch it.

I needed a good heavy duty stapler for my home office, but didn't want the expense or hassle of an electric. I was going to need the ability to occasionally print and staple very large documents, and with my ink-jet, I prefer to use the heavier 24-lb paper. I also bought the Swingline HD 1/4-inch, 3/8-inch, and 1/2-inch staples.



This Swingline was "just what the doctor ordered". I recently had to download and print a 124-page document. I printed it two-side to save paper, but I still needed to staple 62 sheets of 24-lb paper. I easily swapped the 1/4-inch staples for 1/2-inch, lined up the document, and said "Here goes nothing!" This stapler quickly and SMOOTHLY stapled the document with no problem and just a light easy stroke. The 1/2-inch staple had enough length to fully secure the document and fold underneath the last page, and there was no sign of stress or bending of the staple itself.



I recommend this stapler to anyone who has to staple more than 10 sheets of paper at any time.

This stapler is great if you only plan to use one size of staple.



If you plan on switching staples frequently, like I do, then it is more of a curse than a blessing.



It turns out that once you put a strip of staples into the machine, there is no way of getting them out (as the opening in the front is not large enough to pull them through and it is impossible to push them out the back). So if you need to change staple sizes, what do you do?



I emailed Swingline and asked them if there was a mechanism for getting unused staples out of the stapler. Here's their response: "Well, You can try taking the back follow block out and tilting the staples in an angle to see if they fall out. If that doesn't work take a letter opener and pull/pry them out w/ that."



Well, they do not "fall out" when titled back "in an angle" so I'm left to pull them through the small opening in the front and break them off a few at a time.



Huge design flaw.



I wish I'd saved the box. I would have returned this one if I could have.



Again, if you only need to use one size staple, this is great. I don't have the time to break off a strip of staples so it seems I'll be using 3/8" staples for a looooooong time now. Luckily those are pretty universal. But watch out.



One solution I thought of: In the future, I will break down the strips of staples into 5 or 10 staples only and load these into the stapler (even though this risks jamming). That way, staples can be switched by just stapling out the remaining couple of staples.



So if you do buy this, watch out. Unless you only plan to use one size of staple, just load a few staples in at a time and cross your fingers that it will not jam.

This is a great stapler. I received it in perfect condition and wors fine.



I strongly recommend it, as in offices there some heavy documents of several sheets and regular staplers just don't cut it.



This stapler does the job, just buy the several sizes of staples, as is obvious for the different sizes of sheet bundles to be stapled.

Works really well for my husband's 20-plus paged appraisal reports. Great value compared to office supply store price of this product (we saved about $14 dollars). It takes up more room on his desk, however, but worth it. No more banging the heck out of the standard stapler, hoping the staples will go through his reports! Now for a hard lesson learned: DO NOT try using standard 1/4 inch staples in this stapler!!! There is NO warning on the box--just a small printed warning on the stapler that's easy to miss (obviously, we missed it--Doh!) It took many tools and a lot of patience to get the jammed staples out that we thought would work. Another lesson we learned the hard way: only use SWINGLINE brand staples. The office store brand staples that were cheaper did NOT work well at all. - Stapler - Home Office - Swingline - Heavy Duty'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Heavy-duty Staplers - stapler, home office home office Heavy-duty Staplers - stapler, home office