Thursday 28 May 2009

Fine Writing Instruments - makes a nice gift, fountain pens


I found myself missing my fountain pens after several years and found that most stores don't carry them any more. After scanning many other Parkers and Pilots I settled on this one which is only a little more expensive than some disposable fountain pens available online.



This is a nice writing instrument, with a good weight and size and writes decently. This is made by Cross for Franklin Covey also you are guaranteed good quality although not the same level as the 5 times more expensive genuine Cross line up. The chrome and black lacquer look nice for business use. The nib writes with medium thickness and the writing is smooth, especially if you don't let the ink dry by leaving the pen open without the cap.



It came in a ordinary plastic package so may not make the best gift. However, I bought it for my own use and I am very pleased with it's performance. It came with one black ink cartridge, so you should order more with the pen. I found more detailed pictures of this pen on the Franklin Covey website if you want a closer look. Franklin Covey Lexington, Fountain Pen with Medium Nib, Midnight Black Lacquer and Polished Chrome Cap, by Cross (FC0016IM-1MS)

I combed through several various pens below the $30 cap I was willing to spend on my first fountain pen, and even though this one had the least reviews they were all positive and I felt after looking at other photos online that this pen was the most striking and best fit for me. I write everyday for a few hours longhand and a few on the computer and ever since I received this pen less than a week ago I can't stop writing. Every time I look at the pen I have to pick it up and start writing. It has a beautiful ink flow and solved the main problem of ink 'skipping' as it always has on every other pen I have ever tried. The weight in your hand feels amazing, a nice little bit of heft but plenty light to be a natural extension of your hand. I have not had experience with other fountain pens so I cannot speak to the quality of the ink or the nib, but I can say I have had no trouble with anything it so far and am extremely satisfied. Perfect as far as I can tell and for how much I have spent on throwaway pens, half of which were crap, the price is a steal for a pen that is guaranteed with a lifetime warranty.

Good pen. Reasonably priced. My cursive is absolutely atrocious. Keyboard atrophy.

If you have poor penmanship like I do, a fountain pen will be unforgiving for you.

Ink flows smooth though.

Got tired of crappy ballpoints.

Only reason I give it 4 out of 5 stars is because there are the even higher quality Cross fountain pens that go well over 100 dollars.

Disclosure, I am not an expert at all on fountain pens. I know very little about them. However, I write a lot. A LOT. And I am very particular about my pens. Up front the pen looks great, not too flashy but it still stands out. it has a very clean professional appearance to it. It feels well on the hand with just the right amount of weight. The pen writes smoothly and leaves a clean thick even line across the paper. Even my ugly handwriting looks a little better just because of how consistent and smooth the flow is. As a beginner with fountain pens myself I would definitely recommend this as a starter pen, and a very good pen overall for the price.

Hey Friends,



I just started writing with fountain pens and bought this one for my brother for his birthday. It didn't come with any ink, so I checked the instructions that came with the pen. It says: "Replenish with international standard size fountain pen cartridges." I thought that is what my pens took, but those cartridges didn't fit. I ordered a package of Monteverde international size cartridges, and no matter how hard I squeeze the cartridges in there, they just will not fit. Any advice? What other size cartridges should I try? My brother's birthday is next weekend, and I'd hate to have to give him a pen that doesn't work :(



Thanks,

Frustrated - Waterman - Makes A Nice Gift - Bulow - Fountain Pens'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Fine Writing Instruments - makes a nice gift, fountain pens fountain pens Fine Writing Instruments - makes a nice gift, fountain pens