Saturday 11 April 2009

Notebook Mouse - mouse, notebook


Most people will think this is a minimouse, but not at all, this is a small big-mouse or a big mini-mouse, i have big hands so i can't handle a minimouse with ease, this mouse feals just right in your hand, if you're right handed the thumb-button is just in the right position, but i find that the zoom function is not for me, i have it as a close application button.



With the intellipoint software (required to install) you can map a specific function for each button for a given application, which i find very usefull, for example, in a drawing app, i prefer to use the thum button as pan, and the middle for pen-styles.



The 1/2 star i took from the 5 stars is because for the click wheel you have to press with more pressure than the rest, and for the wheel not having the stepping sensation you just might scroll right before you click.



Because the middle button is that hard to press, you just might ending tilting the wheel before you actualy press the button (i have 4 days with the mouse and that doesn't happen anymore, but was anoying in the begining)



PRO:

* Great size

* 1000 dpi !!!!!!!!!

* Looks sharp

* 4 way tilt wheel

* Rubber sides with grips

* Nice USB Adaptor (it doesn't count, but it's nice



CONS:

* No clicks for wheel, it's smooth (but still ok)

* Middle button hard to press at the begining.

* Not-so-good price at the moment (but worth it) Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 3000

While not a big software fan of Microsoft, I do like their keyboards and mice. The latest acquisition is a Optical Mouse 3000. Where most notebook mice are small, this is no exception. It's about 2/3 the length of a normal mouse, but it does seem to be comfortable in my grip. It has raised bumps on both sides to aid grip (which helps with it's size) and the feel of the click buttons (all 3) are smooth and don't require pounding on. The scroll wheel is very smooth and not the standard ratcheting action that most mouse wheels have, which makes it feel smooth and quiet. It's well balanced and doesn't seem to need me to put my hands in an uncomfortable position to use it, even with it's small size. There is a crescent arc of blue LED light along the back of the mouse (where you'd rest the back of your palm) which is annoying, but a black or silver sharpie will cure that. What I really like is that while I've used many wireless notebook mice (recently a Bluetooth Logitech V270 Notebook Mouse) there is no lag with a wired mouse. Most wireless mice act as if they are strung out on caffeine and are too jittery for me. The Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 is a very nice compliment to my PowerBook. I think most folks who like a smooth running desktop-sized mouse would enjoy this mouse for it's size and portability.

I just purchased one of these mice and was addicted to it within 12 hours of first using it.

I had read other reviewers' comments about the scroll wheel turning in a smooth fashion without any bumps. I wasn't sure I wanted to order the mouse because of this, but I eventually did. When I first started using the mouse I didn't like it, but within an hour or so I found I greatly preferred the smooth scrolling wheel; it was easier to manipulate and added to the accuracy.



The reasons I'm addicted to this mouse:



1) I found that the mouse was so accurate and responsive that I could turn up the mouse speed by about 50% over my previous mouse while maintaining precise control of the pointer. This saved me significant time moving the pointer from one end of my 1920x1200 screen to the other.



2) I like the fact that the scroll wheel can be pushed to the right and left to scroll right and left. This function works very well.



3) The mouse has a cord...which is a BIG advantage and why I ordered it to begin with. Here's why:

I also own the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000, which is a very nice mouse... but it is bluetooth and thus the pointer can be slightly unresponsive/jittery in the presence of bluetooth interference. Interference is especially high in large cities like Chicago where there are many WiFi networks that operate on the same frequency.



4) Smooth scrolling wheel.



5) Pressure required to click the buttons helps prevent pointer movement while depressing them.



6) Unlike bluetooth/wireless mice which must contain batteries (that go dead at inappropriate moments) the mouse is extremely light.



7) No need to carry the extra weight of 2 sets of mouse batteries. One set inside the mouse and another set in your notebook bag in case the first set go dead.



Some users have complained about the glaring blue light on the mouse. I've noticed that this is a problem with blue lights on many peripheral devices and can be quite blinding and annoying. The blue light is much dimmer than other blue lights I've encountered on peripherals and is just bright enough to sometimes be glaring, but mostly doesn't bother me. Some users have put a piece of black electrical tape over the like, a good solution, but if you are one like me who doesn't like to junk up your equipment with tape, etc. the glare isn't severe.



If you dont' want to buy this mouse, some previous corded interference free notebook mice I've used that I recommend as second to this are:



Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse (Black with translucent red sides) - $19.99 on Amazon, $15 at Wal-Mart

Logitech optical mouse plus - $13.95 on Amazon

I'm kind of obsessive about mice. I don't know why, but I have to the perfect mouse with my computer (perfect for me anyway - YMMV). I had tried a handful of corded mice for use on the go with my Samsung netbook: Logitech V100 Optical Mouse for Notebooks - Mouse - optical - 3 button(s) - wired - USB, and the Logitech LS1 Laser Mouse to name a couple.



You see, I do use a cordless mouse for when I'm hanging out in coffee shops or whatever trying to get some studying done, but I wanted a nice, portable mouse with a cord for those times when the batteries got K.O.'ed. I didn't want to use a full-size mouse since it will travel with me in my netbook bag where space is at a premium. I found this little Microsoft pointing device at a local retailer (where I ended up paying nearly ten bucks more than what Amazon sells it for) and am ready to return the other mice. For what its worth, I like the other mice and they are very usable (Logitech makes great devices). But for individual fit, I chose this mouse. Here's why:



1) Size. The other two mice listed here either had a very narrow 'waist' (V100) or was a bit too big to take with me (LS1). The Microsoft mouse is small enough without being too narrow and thus hurting my hand. I use a claw-style mouse grip, and the narrow mouse gave me a cramped hand after prolonged usage.



2) Smooth scroll wheel. I didn't know how I'd like this feature until I was up and running. I dig it - it seems better to me than the 'notched' scroll somehow. I can't articulate it but I like the motion of this scroll wheel - it's not the least bit vague or sludgy. It feels as though it's just gliding in between the two buttons.



3) Ability to customize buttons. The IntelliPoint software 7.0 allows you to reconfigure the buttons, change cursor speed, whatever you'd like. I had issues trying to locate the Windows 7 version of the drivers for this mouse, but a Google search ultimately led me to my reward. All is right with the world :)



4) Style. I'll be honest: if it looks good, I'm going to be proud of it. Call me shallow. My Bluetooth mouse, Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 - Mouse - laser - 4 button(s) - wireless - Bluetooth - gray, white - OEM - Reporting, is a sleek, futuristic-looking device that is ergonomically sound and very useful. This mouse is pretty chic too: Mixtures of silvers, grey-blues, a knobby coating on the sides, plus a blue LED 'tail light' all add up to a mouse that looks like a warp nacelle off of the Starship Enterprise (sorry - got a little nerdy there!) The LED light is not super bright, and instead is almost subtle. Very cool looking, I think. It sets it apart from the average black plastic mice I see.



5) The side button on the mouse can be setup how you see fit. I have it as a back button (like my MS 5000) but by default it is a magnifier tool. I can see that being handy in Photoshop, but for me, it was not needed. IntelliPoint has a huge list of tasks you can assign that button - I think I even saw 'Get me a cup of coffee' listed on there as an option when I last checked. Seriously, it's very flexible.



6) Short USB cord length. Some folks may not like the short cord. I love it. This mouse is designed to be used away from home so the portability is enhanced by necessity. Less cord means less to pack/untangle/deal with when sitting in a Starbucks surfing the web. The cord is long enough to wrap around my little netbook to attach on the left hand side of the computer. This still leaves me ample slack to maneuver the pointer. I have a right-sided USB port, too, but plugging in there means I have too much cord to deal with. For me, this setup is perfect; it's like having the freedom of motion of a wireless device without the need to mess with batteries or deal with frequency interference. Good stuff in my book though, again, your mileage may vary.



7) The optical device itself. This is an optical mouse, and not a Laser mouse, or a Bluetrack mouse, or a Darkfield mouse, or a Danger Mouse. That being said, it does utilize a proprietary design by MS that claims to have 1000 dpi. All I know is that this little puppy tracks accurately on every surface I have tried it on within reason (mirrors or glass need not apply).



8) It's a quiet clicker. I know this is picking at nits, but some mice wake the neighbors with the amplitude of their button clicks. This mouse is pretty muted.



If you don't want to mess with wireless mice on the go, this is a great pointing device. It's lightweight, comfy (for me anyhow), good-looking, and very accurate. I realize MS in the past has made inferior mice, but this and my Bluetooth 5000 are changing my mind about them. Good luck! - Optical Mouse - Notebook - Mouse - Ergonomic'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Notebook Mouse - mouse, notebook optical mouse Notebook Mouse - mouse, notebook