Sunday 15 March 2009

Big Tire Inflator


I got this inflator because of the digital display and automatic shut off.

Well, the unit does that and does it well. Actuall too well, as I cannot pump any balls with it, as it just shuts off itself a few seconds after the start.

It inflates tires well, but I noticed that it does not measure the pressure correctly. If you set it at 35PSI and check the pressure after inflating it would be in 38-40PSI range. I need to set it to lower settings to get the results right.

It inflates quickly and queitly, but cannot measure the pressure right and does not inflate balls. Slime 40022 Digital Compressor

So much better than my loud, rumbling old compressor! This product is lightweight, easy to use, quick and quiet. You start by plugging it in and attaching it to the tire. It will give you the current pressure reading. Then, hold a button for a few seconds and set the desired pressure. Press the power button and watch as the pressure reading increases as the tire inflates. When it reaches the pressure setting you chose, it shuts off. All in all, it probably didn't take more than 30 seconds to raise my pressure by 7 PSI.



I double-checked the reading using another digital tire gauge I have, and it was .5 PSI less -- this could have easily been due to air loss when removing the hose or inserting the gauge (or the gauge could be wrong). Either way, close enough.



The unit's housing allows you to store the hose and power cord inside, which is quite convenient. So far, I'm very happy with this -- it's nice to see an innovation in the lower end of the market for these products, as simple as it might be!

I'm really not a "car guy" or DIY type. The most advanced service I perform on my car is replacing wiper blades. I just wanted a simple compressor to keep my tires up to spec.



This model is very easy to use and adequately accurate. You just set it to the PSI you need and let it run. It shuts itself off when it's done, so you don't have to worry about over-inflating.



The only downside is that it can't plug into a standard outlet - you have to use the 12V "cigarette lighter" plug and plug it into your car. That's a plus if you're keeping this in the trunk for a roadside emergency, but it would be nice to plug it into a a regular outlet in the garage.

Works good. A lot faster than other 12V pumps I've used in the past. Took a minute or two to inflate my motorcycle tires from 22 to 36psi. Digital gauge and automatic shut off is very helpful. Highly recommend, after i showed this to my friends, they wanted to get their own.



UPDATE: Mine broke after less than 4 months of sporadic use. Pump won't turn on. Changing rating to 1 star.

Purchased this item in January (the 14th to be exact), used it once a week to top off a slow leaking tire, and it works very well. Fast forward less than 4 months (09 May) and the compressor is kaput. Opened it up to find a little metal arm holding a gear had broken and there was no way to fix it. Oh well, only paid $25 dollars for it, can't expect something that cheap to last forever. As I stated, this item did work very well, it filled the tire fairly quickly and the PSI readout was reasonable accurate.

I'll probably get a more expensive model next time, just so it will last more than a season.

Used once, day after purchase. The pressure indicator was accurate, but instead of turning off (as advertised) when it reached the PSI I'd preset, the pump kept running, but without raising the PSI number beyond what I'd set it at. After waiting 2 minutes or so, to confirm that it wasn't going to inflate further, I turned the pump off manually. When I checked the pressure with an accurate gauge, it was spot-on to my pre-set PSI. Go figger. Paid full price at Target. I've e-mailed Slime (wotta name, esp. if you don't know their original product) and am awaiting a response.

This inflator is good for the cheap price. It is very compact and the air hose and 12v connector are stored in its back. It is a little noisy but does the job. I think the pressure calibration is off. I plugged in the hose into the tire, turned the car key to accessories, connected the input into the car lighter switch and then set the pressure to 32PSI. It blinked a few seconds and then showed the existing pressure of 29PSI. When I turned the unit on, it immediately shut off. So, I had to set the pressure to 40PSI, and then turn it on for it to start working. The unit shows the PSI increasing as the tire is being inflated and I pressed the off button to stop. For the price, I am satisfied as it gets the job done and gives me peace of mind in making sure the tires are well inflated.

I had a similar product for years which wore out. This one is even better. Similar great features in a compact package. Looks more like an external hard disk than a compressor. Much faster than my old one, I think.

The only "trouble" I had was realizing that I needed to turn the ignition key to the "Accessories" position to get the compressor to work. (Per the instructions, do not start the engine, though.) As others have mentioned, this is a small unit but works quicker and quieter than older, bulkier portable compressors. I especially like the screw-on adapter because there's minimal loss of air from the tire, unlike the typical rotating clamp-on style. The digital readout and automatic shutoff are also welcome additions.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Big Tire Inflator Big Tire Inflator Big Tire Inflator