Friday 27 February 2009

Surround Sound


Light weight small footprint full rich sound loaded with features and options.

I have a Philips HTC 8100 and this unit has the same power and sounds better with half the size and weight of the

HTC 8100.

Thats because I believe its up to todays standards.

I fully recommend this unit, it marrys up to my Philips LED 46" TV perfectly.



Oh yeah, the price makes me happy as well. Philips HSB2313A Soundbar (Black)

I just finished hooking up my PS3 and cable box to this soundbar/woofer combo via the 2 HDMI inputs in the back

Everything works well, sound quality is decent and its really easy to set up



But come tomorrow I'm sending it back ... WHY ?

Simple ! the device loses the video signal as soon as I change the channel from HD to SD on my cable box and/or vice-versa. Only workaround is to cycle through the inputs before it picks up the picture again. If you like to flip channels between SD and HD as most do, this system is not going to work for you



Oh and why is it so that the device turns off when the signal is cut but doesn't turn back on when it comes back ? Shouldn't this 'green eco stuff' work both ways ? Why must I turn it on manually every time I turn the cable box/ps3 and TV on ? I don't think this merits buying one of those macro-programmable remotes anyway

I purchased this product new. It came delivered just as promissed. I went to hook it up using the HDMI cables, but no sound came out. I know my DVD player and LCD TV is HDMI compatible, because when I hook it up direct, no problem. I tried a new HDMI cable, re-set the device, and still the problem exist. I contacted Philips about the problem and explained everything I did. They sent me out a replacement unit, and it works GREAT. I don't mind if there's a problem with a product that I buy, but I expect the company to make it right. The soundbar is great for my bedroom. The price was right, and dealing with Philips customer service was great. I recommend this soundbar to anyone who wants to upgrade from there wimmpy built in speakers on there TV.

My Samsung flat-panel TV has downward facing speakers, so it really needed some help in the audio department. I selected this HSB2313A sound-bar system by Philips, it appeared to be what I was looking for, and more. Though a couple more analog inputs would be nice.

The main unit is all-plastic, and sort of lightweight, so if the cabling tugs on it while setting on a shelf, it moves. (It does come with a wall bracket.) On the other hand, the subwoofer is quite substantial, but much of it's weight is probably the power supply.

Here's my primary beef --- the bass response is way too booming, particularly if you live in an apartment as I do. There's a subwoofer volume control, your choice of six levels; none of which seem to be "light" enough; this is a real big problem. When the main audio program material is at a satisfactory level, the bass rumbles and booms too much. I placed pillows over the subwoofer speaker, still, to much bass. Besides, one shouldn't have to resort to placing pillows next to the sub to reduce the volume; who engineers this stuff anyway? If you REALLY like bass, then the HSB2313A might be for you!

The other problem I have with this unit --- the remote control. The button layout makes absolutely no sense to me; the button grouping is all wrong, and the volume up and down buttons aren't prominent at all. I'd like to see in addition to the Mute button, a "partial mute" button, that reduces the volume -20dB, for tame those obnoxiously loud commercials. The text labels on the buttons is too small; I have to put on reading glasses to read them at all.

I've had this for a couple of weeks, but it's going back to the store, I'll find another solution to my audio deficiency.

I was looking for a small soundbar and subwoofer to replace a 5.1 surround system when we remodeled and got rid of the big armoire that held all my audio gear. I looked at several brands and models, but many bars got poor reviews. Additionally, many soundbar/subwoofer systems include a very large subwoofer that wouldn't fit where I needed it. When I spotted this system (Philips HSB2312A) at a discount membership club for $150, I took it home and hooked it up to my Vizio LCD using an optical audio cable. Connected to the TV, I have a Motorola HD set top box (HDMI), a Sony Blu-ray player (HDMI), and a Wii game system (standard AV cable). I also connected my MP3 player through the AV input on the soundbar, which was a nice bonus. It sounded great and seemed to be just what I was looking for, but after we used it (lightly) for about two months I decided to return it for two reasons:



(1) The sound would drop out when watching Blu-ray movies. I'm not sure why this happened, but I watched three or four different movies and this happened several times during each movie. The only remedy I could find was to change the input on the soundbar from optical to another input, and then back to optical. I never experienced this when playing my MP3 player through the AV input, playing the Wii, or watching cable TV. It only occurred when watching Blu-ray movies.



(2) The main reason I returned it is because the soundbar itself would get extremely hot to the touch and had a "burning electronics" smell. It wasn't enough to be alarming, but I noticed every time I used it. At first, I assumed this was just because it was new and thought it would fade over time. However, it smelled the same way after two months any time the power was turned on. I decided that I didn't want to take a chance on it burning up or malfunctioning in the future.



LIKES: small size, great sound, MP3 input, great price

DISLIKES: hot to touch/burning smell, instructions were not very helpful, didn't like having another remote

Great Soundbar but with a bit louder bass!!



I connected my BD Player to this Soundbar and from there to my Samsung TV. I don't have cable so I use antenna for OTA channels that is directly connected to TV. I have connected my TV's Optical-out to Soundbar's Optical-in. Everything works great but w/ a small problem. The bass from sub-woofer is too high even on the lowest setting.



I live in a Town-Home and certainly do not want to disturb my neighbors. So everything is OK until 10:00 PM but when it's time for a reduced bass from subwoofer, this Soundbar fails.



Does anybody know how to reduce bass to the minimum so there is no disturbance? Right now I am planning to exchange it w/ another similar model just to see if the newer one has a lower bass. Otherwise I will return for a full refund...'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Surround Sound Surround Sound Surround Sound