Monday 9 February 2009

Barbie Nail Printer - nail art, gifts for girls


My girls live on the computer, so when they told me they couldn't get the Barbie Doll'd up nails to work correctly I was ready to pack it up and return it, but I took a couple hours out of my schedule to play around with it. The main problem is the alignment, and you just have to get "The Hang of it", after we figured that out, we had loads of fun with it. Get it centered and move the side guides in to match your fingernail, when you are ready to print, make sure that none of the skin at the base of your nail is visible on the "camera" screen, this eliminates getting the ink on most of your finger. I left the designs on my nails for work and alot of my clients noticed and were very impressed! I don't know about my kids, but I couldn't wait to get home and play with it some more. Already looking for ink refills to stock up, but haven't been able to find a source online. This is the coolest toy if invest the time in figuring it out. Barbie Dolled up Nails Digital Nail Printer

Do not bother purchasing this overpriced piece of junk. I bought for my 7 year old daughter who could hardly contain her excitement on Christmas day upon receiving it. After 3 days of trying to get it to work, installing and uninstalling the software, installing multiple updates, multiple 'could not connect to printer messages' I finally gave up and returned it today. The few times it did actually work, the picture was a blurry mess and never printed where it indicated it would.



I also noticed this morning the Toys R Us no longer displays this item on their website..hmmm. When I returned it, the salesperson told me they have received many returns on this item..clear indication of the quality of this product.



Great idea..poor execution.



DO NOT BUY THIS!

I'm sorry that this product is getting so many bad reviews. I bought it for my daughter for Christmas. She was so excited. On Christmas night after she went to bed, I loaded the software and completed all the set up. I noticed some people had alignment issues. You have to align the printer by inserting the alignment card into the nail slot and getting the red test line to move to the center. I had so much fun practicing on my own nails that night. The next morning, we did my daughter's nails and she couldn't be happier. There are so many cute designs to choose from. We've been doing her nails every week since and we still haven't repeated a design. It's blurry only when she wiggles during printing or we didn't set the printer totally flat. But, we love it. You just have to get the hang of it. It's worth if for such unique designs.

First warning: S/W only designed to work with Windows XP. Says it will work on Vista, but I never got it to work. Took forever to set up on our old XP machine, but once up and running, my daughters thought it was fun.



Then the XP machine died and it took six months to find a solution to make it run under new Windows 7 machine. You need to pay $80 more to upgrade from Window 7 Premium to Windows 7 Profressional, then install virtual PC and XP mode. Runs fine but I have to be around to start it for my daughters because of the complexity of the steps to get is running.



All told, it's cost me $330 for this 'toy'. Worth it, heck no. Your better off taking you daughter to have her nails done. For this money, that's quite a few visits and the results will be better and last longer.

We purchased Barbie Doll'd Up Nails with much hesitancy for our daughters (ages 8 & 7). We thought, No way could this actually deliver what the commercial shows. I am very happy to admit that I was wrong. BIG TIME!



We opened the box and set up time was about the same as with any other HP InkJet printer. It comes with all necessary cables and installation software. Set up time was less than 30 minutes- including reading the instructions.



Once up and running, it took about ten minutes to thoroughly understand and execute the how to properly align the camera and the ink cartridge. (This is the most important part, and should be checked before each use)-NOT each finger, but each day you turn it on and start a session) We have only had to make adjustments one time after the initial setup.



Now, were ready to do the nails. You have to use a nail polish (included) before the printer and a clear coat sealer (also included) after to insure the designs do not rub off. This thing works like any other printer, you pick a design, either one of the 1200+ included or any JPEG image or clipart. You insert a finger, take a picture of the the finger nail with the Doll'd Up Nails, size, rotate, customize color of the image you want to print, then re-insert the finger, set it in the image of the fingernail you see on your computer screen, then hit the print button on the printer. BAM! You have "Doll'd Up Nails"!!!!



It's so easy to use, within 10-15 nails printed, my kids had it down better than me. I have not yet turned them loose to use unsupervised, but I believe they could handle it from start to finish.



Believe the claims, it really does what the commercial shows, and it does it well. We couldn't be more pleasantly surprised!

I would like to add my voice to those who have already expressed their frustration at this piece of junk. The software is horrible. It is outdated right from the start (it is explicitly stated that it works only with outdated versions of Windows). If you purchase this toy and would like to use it, your options are to downgrade your computer to an inferior system, or to buy some additional professional software and to go through some very complex manipulations (no recommended by Mattel) to start the printer every time. And Mattel laughs at you and tells you that you are on your own. Don't repeat my mistake. Don't buy this piece of junk!

This is a great toy. I emphasize "toy". It is not a high dollar nail printer for adults (eventhough I have a lot of fun playing with it). It will not give the professional results of a $1000 printer. I bought it for $135 at ToysRUs. My girls love it. Great for team spirit - nails can be printed for sports/school events. Holiday designs are really fun. It has a multitude of designs and we have created our own designs by importing photographs of people and flowers. A high quality photo will result in a better printed design. It is very easy to use.



1. Paint nails with a base coat.

2. Apply a thin layer of special base that is designed to accept the printer ink, let dry.

3. Insert your finger into printer per directions and take a picture of your nail.

4. Click on the design you want.

5. Adjust the design if you want by changing colors, enlarging, reducing, rotate, etc...

6. Re-insert finger per directions, align it with the design and print.

7. Apply a clear topcoat.

If you make a mistake or change your mind, you can remove the design by washing it off before you apply topcoat.



Practice will help increase your skills. I have 5 daughters and 4 grandaughters (along with their friends) who love this little printer. They have used it over and over. The children feel so proud of their designed nails. My youngest is 11 yrs old and she can print her nails without adult assistance. If you know a child who loves painted fingernails, this printer would be a great gift. I would recommend the Barbie Nail Printer.



As for educational value - They learn to use designs by changing colors, resizing, rotating, flipping the design, aligning, creativity, helps with aligning finger to designs using eye coordination, fine motor skills, importing, saving designs, and general use of computer and printer.



Durability - Great! It keeps performing well. Younger kids have dropped it and it has been used a lot. If it can go through all my family and friends and keep going - I give it a 5 star!



The only negative I can think of is sometimes a nail will not print out correctly and you will have to start over. This could be printer error or a mistake made by the person. But it's not a big deal and only has happened a few times, no different than when they make a mistake using nail polish. - Gifts For Girls - Mattel - Nail Art - Barbie Nail Printer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Barbie Nail Printer - nail art, gifts for girls nail art Barbie Nail Printer - nail art, gifts for girls