Tuesday 27 January 2009

Water Resistant - digital, casual watch


The watch looks sober and stylish.



PROS:

1. Casio make, presumably good quality materials and movement.

2. Nice design



CONS:

1. Light is feeble and does not illuminate the digital panel

2. Case of watch is not completely stainless steel, lower part is resin. In my last casio the resin clasp for the watch band broke. I bought this because I thought it would be stainless steel, but its not really.

3. The mineral dial cover is convex, so it will pick up scratches (like my last casio). I prefer flat watches

4. The watch is thick (say 3/60") Casio Men's Ana-Digi AW80D-1AV 10-Year Battery Bracelet Watch

Well, this coming August is going to be 5 years wearing, using and abusing this watch. No problems so far with it, the battery is still strong (the backligt feature has not dimmed at all) and water resistance is definitively there. I use it at least once a week for swimming in a pool, and I have taken it a few times for short dives in the ocean. Some people dismissed the data bank feature as "useless" or "a thing of the past" just because we have now so many other devices (blackberries, iphones, even regular cellphones). However, I still use my watch to store critical, usually short information such as alarm passwords (like my office's, which is changed monthly), password combinations for banking, websites, etc. I guess I could use my cellphone for that as well, but in terms of retriving, nothing beats a look at the wrist and pressing a couple of buttons! My only big complain with this watch over 5 years is how easily the crystal picks up scratches. I have to admit that I am partly to blame for that. I've used it on several rough camping trips, and I have no pitty on the watch when it comes to using it...just love it. I hope I can give another update in 5 years, possibly with the battery still alive.



- Update, July 1st 2010: Well, now oficially well into the second quinquennium, I can only say that the watch just keep on going, no problems to report, just a few more scratches than a year ago. The 10-year battery life looks more and more like a reality for this little jewel.



-Update, June 2011: OK, this is a good run for the watch. After 7 years, the battery finally died. No complaints; 7 out of 10 years is not bad at all. Highly recommended time piece.

Excellent product for the price. Great functionality. Time is very easy

to read. Stainless steel bracelet with clasp makes it a robust watch

to wear while working. Day-date and world-time features are a great plus.

Have had the watch for a month and it has been working out really well.

Only downside -- watch mechanism is encased in plastic with steel overlap -- would have preferred this to be complete steel like the band.

when I recieved this watch my first impression was it was very sleek looking. After playing with it for a while I realized it was very confusing to set, but not to confusing to where you can not do it if you take the time. The band looks nice but is not easy to re-size so I will have to take it to a jewler as opposed to doing it myself.



Doesnt anyone make a basic watch anymore that just tells time and the date? But is also nice looking?

I think this is a very handsome watch - I don't like cluttered watch faces. I find the size quite appropriate for a man with large hands. The accuracy is amazing - it was only off by 2-3 seconds in the first three weeks of use as compared to my desk clock that syncs with the atomic clock. The light is quite bright (and classy looking, around the edge instead of backlighting.) If you want to see the digital time at night, buy a digital watch instead. I had no trouble learning how to use it, but then I'm technically adept and I've owned a few Casio watches over the 30 years since I bought my first digital watch - a Casio. I like the Telememo feature so I can look up frequently used numbers without having to fire up my pda. The only two nit-picky things I can think of: the watch is somewhat thick and the metal band occasionally snags a hair on my wrist. I prefer this band to the rubber ones though due to its being longer-lasting and having a quick release clasp.

Addendum 3 years later: the "stainless steel bezel" is actually a coating that wears away just from normal use, i.e. sleeves, revealing a light gray plastic. The crystal scratches easily, so I've added a Zagg cover. It's lost a bit of its accuracy, but still just several seconds a month off - quite good really. - Casual Watch - Metal Banded - Inexpensive - Digital'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Water Resistant - digital, casual watch inexpensive Water Resistant - digital, casual watch