Thursday 1 January 2009

Health And Diet - health and diet, diet


My fiance did the Body-for-Life challenge and lost 40 pounds in 12 weeks! Currently we are 2 weeks in to another Body-for-Life challenge and we've found the biggest problem for us is lack of interesting food to eat. We decided to pick up the Eating-for-Life book to hopefully get some better recipes and all I can say is WOW! Bill Phillips really outdid himself with this book.This book starts with 70 pages describing many of the ideas about food he covered in his bestselling book, Body-for-Life. As he explains, diets are BAD. They are impossible to maintain, so 95% of people who go on diets end up gaining back everything they lost (and often MORE than they lost). His philosophy is to eat balanced, nutrient-rich meals six times a day. This keeps you full, so you never feel like you're starving, and also signals to your body that its getting the nutrients it needs and can stop storing all the fat.This is the first time I've seriously done the Body-for-Life challenge and I've already lost 8 pounds of fat! The biggest problem for me, as I said, was how BORING I thought healthy foods were. This book has shown me how wrong I was! The first day I got it, I flipped through it and salivated at all the delicious recipes! There are over a hundred GOOD recipes in here, including shrimp scampi, chicken noodle soup, filet mignon, chicken fajitas and SO much more. There are even several healthy dessert recipes, including fruit crepes, cheesecake and walnut brownies! The recipes are not only healthy, but extremely easy to prepare and very delicious! A lot of people have said that Bill Phillips plan takes a lot of dedication and hard work, and that's true. But there is no "easy" diet out there. I've tried some of the "fad" diets, including low carb diets and diet pills. While they sometimes work, I found them impossible to stick to and maintain weightloss on. With Body-for-Life, and especially now with this AMAZING cookbook, I can eat healthy, delicious meals AND lose weight. Plus, with Body-for-Life, you have a free day every single week (usually Sunday) where you can eat whatever you want in whatever quantities you want. I highly recommend checking this book out, even if you aren't interested in the Body-for-Life program. The recipes are better than I've seen in most diet books. Eating For Life

I have been doing the BFL plan, and lost over 30 pounds. The problem I had was finding ways to have variety with my eating plan. The food list is small, but after a while you ran out of ideas for meals.



This book is perfect, and I'm so happy he put it out. I really enjoy this cookbook. The title of the book says it all. Eating for LIFE. This is NOT a diet, but a way of life. Diets do not work, they are temporary solutions, and you don?t want a temporary solution, but a lifestyle solution. If you want to win the battle of the bulge, this book with the BFL book is the perfect lifestyle solution. If you exercise and eat the recipes from this book you will lose weight. You can?t do one without the other. Exercise and proper eating go hand in hand, and Bill stresses that. "Eating for life takes the guess work out of eating right.", and it really does.



There are some really easy and very satisfying recipes in this book. My favorites:



1. Taco pasta salad

2. Turkey Rueben

3. BLT wrap (I especially enjoy the mustard/mayo spread I make from another BLT wrap recipe!!!)

4. Zesty Italian Chicken

5. Grilled Salmon

6. Spaghetti and Meatballs

7. Balsamic Salmon Salad

8. Baked Chicken Parmesan

9. Sloppy Joes

10. Spicy buffalo chicken sandwich

11. chicken noodle soup

12. chicken tenders

13. strawberry cheesecake

14. berry parfait

15. Spanish omelet

16. ham & Egg sandwich (I don?t eat ham, so I use turkey)

17. Turkey bacon melt (this is simply delicious and easy!!!)18. eggs Florentine

19. turkey sandwich

20. chicken Caesar

21. chicken pita pizza

22. cilantro burrito

23. chicken quesadillas

24. mile high baked potato

25. turkey burgers

26. BBQ chicken pita pizza (I love this pizza, healthy and very tasty!!!!)





As you can see my list is long, and I just love this book. You can find something different to eat daily if you plan, and shop for everything you need.



I?ve noticed some people complain that the recipes are bland. I have not tested any of the dessert recipes mainly because I eat fruit when I want something sweet. But for a lot of the meals I use my own special touches by adding spices to snazzy up my recipes. You can do some amazing things with basil, oregano, and other spices. For instance I added more pepper to the spread used for the BLT wrap, and it came out excellent! This is a great addition if you are following the Body 4 life fitness plan, but at a loss of meals to eat. This book has a lot of variety, so if you try something new you will never run out of meal ideas.

I bought this 405-page book by Body For Life guru Bill Phillips, sight unseen via the internet, because I'm a fan of the BFL exercise/nutrition philosophy - although, sadly, not faithful follower - and I enjoy cooking. I've made quite a few of the recipes and can report they are easy to follow, reproduce good results and give budding BLF types some badly needed ideas for sticking to the nutrition part of their Challenge. Several recipes are outstanding; my personal favorites being Mom's Chicken Enchiladas and Turkey Sloppy Joes, while some are unappealing to my taste which is par for the course with any cookbook. One unique aspect for BFL buffs are 69 useful pages in the front that explain "Eating for Life Facts", and in the back are another 54 pages with a section of recipes and comments from typically inspiring BFL Challenge winners, two weeks of BFL meal plans using recipes from the book, and some useful basic cooking tips for neophyte chefs.



Now, three warnings: First, quite a few "recipes", perhaps 5%-10% of the total, are really BFL meal/snack suggestions that don't need a color page of instructions (e.g., half a cantaloupe and cottage cheese or two sliced hardboiled eggs with a sliced orange). More problematic is that there is absolutely NO nutritional data - e.g., calories, protein/carbohydrate/fat mix, etc. - for the recipes. This is particularly disappointing because even cookbooks that don't claim to support a physical transformation program often have this information. Yes, I realize BFL emphasizes controlling portion size rather than calorie counting, but I'm a little suspicious that many recipes are heavy on the carbo side of the protein/carbo equation because so many have bread, tortillas or pasta which Mr. Phillips normally discourages. Along this same line many recipes are "comfort-food" to most Americans that rely on some form of cheese, sauces or dressing; without taking GREAT care to use fat-free ingredients these will easily become comfortably negative component of one's physical transformation.



I recommend this book to people looking for recipes that combine the BFL protein/carbo philosophy with basic American-palate-friendly family type home cooking. But to avoid blowing your BFL Challenge you'll need to be VERY careful about ingredient choices and focus intensely on portion control, which is the ultimate key to BFL nutrition success. - Cookbook - Diet - Body For Life - Health And Diet'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Health And Diet - health and diet, diet diet Health And Diet - health and diet, diet