Tuesday 6 January 2009

Electronics For Kids - helicopter, rc heli


Its freakin awesome, you dont have to keep adjusting the trim/yaw to maintain straight level flight! my 11 year old son and I have had a ball with it straight outta the box! bypass all the other ones this one is absolutely easy and fun to fly!!!!! 3 Channel RC Military Gyro Mini Indoor Helicopter Viefly V268

I fly a SYMA S107, which is a fine bird but mostly made of metal (thin sheet aluminum) which is good and bad. Metal, even aluminum, is strong but heavy. My friend Skillet flies the V268 and, in my opinion, the V268 is the better aircraft. Although it is slightly smaller than the S107 in overall length and rotor span, it exhibits better flight characteristics, primarily better climb rate and longer flight duration. I attribute this to the lighter weight due to all plastic construction and bigger primary gear allowing higher torque @ lower RPM. We have both crashed our birds numerous times and my landing gear is shot while his is going strong. His canopy has popped off in crashes, but a little crazy glue took care of that. For the money, this is the best 3 channel helicopter I've seen.

My little brother (46 years old) and I each bought one of these for each other for a Thanksgiving/Christmas gift exchange. Our only regret is we couldn't fly both of them at the same time because both helicopters are on the same receive freq. We had a blast flying the copters around the inside of our parents home. It couldn't be easier or more fun to fly. I've told my wife that I now need a whole fleet of these little birds. Battery recharge is fast, ESPECIALLY if you use the USB cable to do the recharge. It is VERY durable. My brother and I both hit everything in the house with no damage and the little bird just takes to the air again. We flew a little outside when there was no wind and my copter spent Saturday night 25 feet up in a live oak tree. The next morning using 30 feet of PVC pipe the little bird was rescued, recharged and flew without a hitch. THIS HELICOPTER ROCKS!!!!

I've had several indoor helicopters and this one is by far the best. The ONLY drawback is it's run time on a charge (about 10 minutes), but even that is better than most. This heli is about six inches long, and weighs 25.8gm (0.91oz). It is incredibly stable and will hover motionlessly when trimmed. I found that it is quite rugged too.



Crashes from my twelve foot ceiling to the tile floors have not caused discernible damage. I managed to nick the counter rotating main rotors several times as I found furniture edges; sanding the nicks is necessary to get things back into perfect balance. Easy to do with an emory board.



The rear rotor is horizontally oriented so it only comes on when forward or reverse stick is applied. The main rotors control up-down, right-left flight operations. Superb piece of workmanship and fine design. Comes with a separate charging cord so the heli can be charged from your laptop USB port, thus saving the batteries in the controller. Buy it...you won't be sorry.

Very happy with this purchase. Helicopter was easy to fly straight out of the box. The initial charge time should be 40 minutes but requires a shorter charge time after that. The controller requires 6 AA batteries. The heli can be charged by connecting to the controller or you can also charge it using the provided USB cable and connecting it to your computer. After a full charge, the length of fly time is only 5 to 6 minutes. The heli starts to fly lower to the ground as the juice winds down. My nine-year old son has enjoyed this toy tremendously. He has crashed it dozens of times but it keeps on going strong. His older brother also has enjoyed it so much that he purchased his own. Now I have the buzz of helicopters throughout the house.

I bought this RC Helicopter for my dad (age 73) as a Christmas gift. It's his first RC toy and he's in love with it. As soon as we charged it up, the whole family was fighting over who could fly it next! My dad seems the most skilled flyer. The helicopter is very sturdy and resilient. We crashed it into the walls, appliances, Christmas tree, furniture, and the ceiling over and over, and it kept flying! It has really cool flashing lights, and it holds a charge for a good long time. I highly recommend this RC helicopter for beginners of any age.

We gave one to an engineer at our company for XMas -- a cranky geezer who used to pilot small airplanes. He almost fell over when he saw it. His desk is in a 20x20 ft area with 17 ft ceiling, and it just flies great in there. The trickiest thing is controlling the lift -- it can tend to accelerate upwards, and if you panic and drop power, it will prang. Fortunately, it's quite resiliant. If it were any easier, it wouldn't be fun.



I also gave one to my son. He loves it and his 3-1/2 year old son keeps asking when he can fly it.

Bought this $29 Viefly after terrible experience with $17 Syma Apache, and I've been thoroughly delighted with its performance. It flew right out of the box. With a tiny trim adjustment it stayed stable throughout the five minutes I flew it, and the battery didn't run down. I've had it a month with no problems. Undocumented extra: it comes with a USB cable that fully charges the helicopter in about 5 minutes rather than the half-hour or more that it takes from the RC box, so time-per-flight isn't an issue. Incidentally, the same cable works with the worthless Syma product.



As to durability, I've crashed it many times on rugs and ceilings and hardwood floors with no ill effects on anything except my pride.



So do buy one Viefly helicopter instead of a bunch of the half-price zero-value Syma product.



Of course there's always the chance that I randomly got the one good one in a bad batch. I'm buying 2 more as gifts and will post again if there are any problems.

My husband gazed longingly at every RC helicopter display or demo, so I bought him this model for Xmas. He is really enjoying flying it around. The battery only allows flights of 5 minutes or so at a time -- a bonus for me, but you may feel differently. - Cobra - Helicopter - Gyro - Rc Heli'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Electronics For Kids - helicopter, rc heli cobra Electronics For Kids - helicopter, rc heli