Friday 23 January 2009

Bathroom Fan Timer


This switch is similar to the Leviton 10-20-30-60 timer. I chose this switch because several reviews for the Leviton mentioned that the buttons were somewhat fragile. This switch does not have that problem. When you press the button, it starts with 10 minutes and adds time with each press. For my purposes (bathroom fan), I prefer this anyway.



Installation was mostly painless, except the mounting brackets seem to be set too far forward. In other words, after I mounted the switch and installed the wallplate, the face was sunk too far into the wall, and it did not look good. I fixed this by using some small shims between the bracket and the wall.



Also, the included wire nuts are sized for only one standard wire (~12-14 gauge) and the switch. Make sure you have the right ones on hand, if needed. Last, the switch requires a neutral wire (white) to operate; make sure you have one (mine was tucked way in the back). Woods 59007 Decora Style 30-15-10-5 Minute Preset Wall Switch Timer, White, 30-Minute

The Woods 59007 Decora style 30-15-10-5 minute timer switch is a pretty nice timer switch.



The first time you press the pushbutton switch, the switch turns on, and will turn off after 5 minutes. If you desire for the switch to be on a longer timer, the pushbutton switch can be pressed again to increase the on-time. The second press increases the on-time to 10 minutes. The third press increases the on-time to 15 minutes. The fourth press increases the time to 30 minutes. A fifth press will turn the switch back off.



As the remaining on-time counts down, the LED indicators show the approximate on-time remaining. For example, if the switch is turned on with a 15 minute setting, initially the green 15-minute LED is lit. After being on for 5 minutes, the green 15-minute LED is turned off, and the green 10-minute LED is lit. After 5 more minutes, the green 10-minute LED is turned off, and the green 5-minute LED is lit. After 5 more minutes, the green 5-minute LED is turned off and the red off LED is lit (and the switch output is turned off, turning off whatever the switch is powering).



At any time, the pushbutton switch can be pressed to change the remaining on-time. Each press of the pushbutton moves the on-time setting to the next value in a circular pattern as follows. 5 minute -> 10 minute -> 15 minute -> 30 minute -> off -> 5 minutes -> etc. For instance, if the 5-minute LED is lit, and the pushbutton is pressed twice, the 15 minute LED will be lit instead of the 5 minutes LED, and the switch will remain on for 15 more minutes.



The switch is totally silent except when turning the switch on and when the switch is turned off, at which times you can hear a soft click. I've not disassembled the switch to tell for certain, but it sounds like the switch uses a relay for switching (rather than a triac) to turn its output on and off.



The 30, 15, 10, and 5 minutes LEDs are all green. The off LED is red.



The timings appear to be very accurate. When I tested, the timings seemed to be accurate within 1 second.



The switch plastic has a bit of fine texturing. When I installed it, I think the texturing made it appear very slightly less white than the switch cover around it, but the apparent color difference was not (in my opinion) objectionable.



Here is why I didn't give the switch a 5-star rating: As other reviews have noted, if you just install the switch and screw it into place in the junction box, it sits too low beneath the switch cover to look nice. There is an objectionable (in my opinion) gap around the edge of the switch between the switch and the switch cover. What I did was to put 3 flat washers (number of flat washers determined empirically by trial and error) between the switch and the junction box to shim the switch forward. After doing this, the switch looked nice under the switch cover.



One last quirk with the switch: The directions tell you to wire the switch's green wire to the house wiring's green wire. I've never seen a green wire in house wiring. In the house wiring, the earth wire is pretty much always an uninsulated wire. What they should have said is to connect the switch's green wire to the house wiring's uninsulated wire (or wire with green insulation).



I installed this switch to control a bathroom exhaust fan. After shimming up the switch with flat washers as described above, the switch has worked well and looks nice. I can't comment on the reliability of the switch, as I have only been using it for about a week. I hope that it lasts a long, long time, because I really like this switch. I intend on installing it in two more bathrooms in my house when I add bathroom exhaust fans in those bathrooms.

These switches work perfectly. I like how these count down the time remaining with the green LEDs. More presses adds time. There is no option to leave the switch on indefinitely, which is great since it is supposed to be a timer. It's nice that there is only one button under the red LED, it is easy to find in the dark. Mounts flush with the switchplate for a clean look. Solid.

I like the general design of this switch timer except for the small push button. The price was about right. But....it stopped working after only a month. Who knows why. A thunderstorm (lightning)? If it was lightning, then this is the only electrical/electronics in the entire house affected.



There is no information on the Woods manufacturing site about warranty. The Amazon process is vauge, but it appears if I pay for shipping I may get an 80% credit. Including the cost of the shipping, this would mean I'd spend about 20 minutes of my time to get about $7-$8 back, which I may do, if I have time.



I recommend the mechanical type instead. We have 2 Woods switch timers of the mechanical rotary windup type. Those work great. One is about 9 months old and used constantly. If you want a switch/timer, I'd get one of the Woods rotary wind-up types: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XCWLWY/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Bathroom Fan Timer Bathroom Fan Timer Bathroom Fan Timer