Wednesday 14 January 2009

240hz - led


Size, weight, appearance are fantastic. Picture is not great until tweaked, but WAY better than just ok. Same for the sound. You'll have to tweak it - there are lots of settings...once tuned, it performs really well. Wi-Fi connect is perfect. For the price, screen size, features - this TV is a great buy. Packaging was terrific. I am *very* satisfied with this purchase. Toshiba 47TL515U 47-Inch Natural 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Net TV, Black

I was a more than a little aprehensive about buying this TV since I did not find one review prior to purchasing. I had done a lot of research on Natural (passive)3D LED-LCD HDTV televisions. I even bought a subscription to consumer reports to gain more information. I read reviews on as many models that I could find that fit my criteria. I wanted a passive 3D system, I wanted a screen at least 46 inches and after researching I decided I needed at least a 240hz refresh rate to avoid the "ghosts" I keep hearing about. Unfortunately most of those TV's were expensive and I wanted to keep my price point below $1300.00. Then I found this Toshiba. The price point was great, no tax, and shipping was only $25.00. Set up was easy (my 19 year old son did it...may not have been easy for me). I heard on other reviews from many of the other televisions that the default picture settings needed adjustment but all I did was turn it on and was AMAZED. This picture is crystal clear. I have had the TV for about 2 months now and it still continues to amaze me. Although I don't watch a lot of the 3D channels, but this is VERY COOL. I have never had a ghost issue, even when watching sports. It feels as if you are in the picture...I wish I had more 3D programs available to me. I did watch the british open the other day and thought I saw a trail after a putt of the golf ball...but it didn't happen again. Interestingly my kids brought home a set of 3D glasses from an imax theatre the other day (I am NOT encouraging people to do this...) and those glasses also worked with this TV. Another reason I wanted natural...I did not want to spend $100 dollars for more glasses. My father owns a Sony HD LCD and he is impressed with the picture I have vs his.



My only two complaints are: there is a big lag time between channel changes. It feels like a minute or so after you change the channel until the picture comes back but I am sure it is only 20 seconds or so, I am just used to that function being instantaneous. The other is the sound. I read reviews on all of the other comparable TV's and they all said you need to get a decent sound bar or surround sound because of this so it was expected and I will eventually invest in an up to date system.



All in all, I am very happy with this TV...I made a big leap of faith that it would be everything I had hoped for and have not been dissapointed. I thought about giving it only 4 stars because of the sound and channel issue but it is such a great TV otherwise I didn't think it was fair. Hopefully this review will help someone else take the plunge!

I have had this TV since late July 2011 and so far have been "extremely pleased" with my purchase. It seems to be unjustifiably underrated. "Crutchfield" likes this set and they're no technology dummies!



I purchased this television after first having had a look at the comparable 47" passive 3D LG TV which - overall - did not impress me as much as certain "overly enthusuastic" members of the "LG True Believers Club" writing reviews here on Amazon.com would have led me to believe. You can see my review on this TV elsewhere on Amazon.



The integrated WIFI connection on this TV is "rock solid". I have had absolutely no problems with having to repeatedly input my network information due to a lost wireless connection or anything of this sort. Just set up the WIFI connection once and then forget it. Streaming from the Internet - either through the TV istself or via my WIFI-enabled panasonic Blu-ray player - is smooth and flawless, which it should be with the 10 Mbps download speed that I have available at home. And the integrated WIFI means that both of the provided USB ports are avilable for other things - no need for a USB WIFI dongle on this set!



Picture quality is "great" as far as I am concerned. I am by no means claiming that this TV has the absolute best picture quality available anywhere and this is unnecessary. I don't get too obsessed about the picture of one TV being technically 10 - 30% better than that of another. In most cases we're not dealing with truly "good" versus "bad" image quality, just different levels of "goodness". Choose the set that's "good enough" for you overall; that's all that matters.



When first receiving this TV be sure to perform the software upgrade/update and then do "NOT" leave the television on the default "AutoSave" picture settings which emphasize "energy savings" over picture quality. Instead select the "Standard" picture settings. If you do all of this, you should end up with a very nice picture. And if you are so inclined, the Toshiba has a large number of settings that you can tweak to approach whatever your idea of picture perfection may be. Personally, I'd rather spend my time doing other things, but the potential to do this is readily available.



The Toshiba TV certainly more than meets my needs of watching the occasional over-the-air TV program and then streaming on-demand content from the Internet via WIFI. I have also had the opportunity to try out the passive 3D effect/experience of the set and it is very realistic; the images appear to pop right out of the screen - works fine for me.



Sound quality - although acceptable for built-in TV speakers - certainly can be improved and I have done so by adding a soundbar system with wireless subwoofer to the set (Panasonic SC-HTB520 2.1-Channel SoundBar Speaker System with Wireless Kelton Subwoofer, see my review). The combination works like a charm, a great sound upgrade! And everything can be controlled with the Toshiba's single remote control.



I give this TV a rating of "4" out of "5" stars in light of the following things that I felt could be improved:



1) Stand implementation could be better. I would prefer a stand with more metal parts and less plastic (see Panasonic TVs) that attaches to the bottom/base of the LCD panel - better weight-bearing functionality and less strain (again see Panasonic) - instead of a stand that attaches directly to the back of the LCD panel. If one of the attaching screws does not come out easily, you may have difficulty removing the stand if you ever want to wall mount the TV in the future.



2) Changing channels is a bit slow for my taste (as another reviewer already has mentioned). They do all switch, but the time delay is a bit longer than expected or needed - essentially a minor inconvenience.



3) The Internet apps provided with the Net TV function need to be expanded. The selection so far is "very" limited, but this does not bother me, because I have other streaming-enabled devices (Blu-ray player, etc.) available to provide additional choices. This is something that Toshiba can -and hopefully will - improve in the near future. - Led'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


240hz - led led 240hz - led