Tuesday 23 December 2008

Flashlight - camping, spotlight


I purchased a similar spotlight by Cyclops approximately a year ago. I have used it three/four times. I went to use it again this week and it won't turn on. I tried calling Cyclops and their Customer Service number was busy 24/7 for three days straight! I ended up sending them an email. Another week went by and no response; I wrote them again. Still nothing.... bottom line is the spotlight worked great but if you need replacement parts like a battery or bulb forget it. Cyclops C18MIL-FE Thor X Colossus 18 Million Candle Power Rechargable Halogen Spotlight

I had had the Cyclops C15MIL, rated by the manufacturer 15 Million Candle Power, before I bought this from Amazon. I tested the light intensity output of both only to find out that not only were they identical, but they also fell far below the fantastic claims of 15 and 18 Million Candle Power. ... Actually candle power rating is such a misleading method of rating light output that it should be outlawed!



Instead, I measured their Luminosity in terms of Lumen Units; both have registered identical readings of 1423 and 1417 Lumens respectively, where my older C15MIL scoring the negligibly higher rating.



I then removed both their Phillips 130 watt quartz halogen lamps and replaced them with a pair of Seoul H4 55 watt 6000K Xenon HID bulbs which were parts of an auto light replacement HID kit that I bought on eBay and hooked them to their Hella ballasts which came with the kit and tucked the ballasts under the reflectors where there is an ample volume for that. I resealed both spotlights, fully charged the batteries and turned them both on.



YeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!! The Sun shown at 11:00 PM PDST!!! .... I instantly ended up with a pair of Cyclops 4500 Lumens each, turning the Pacific Northwest late summer, early fall night into broad daylight at a fraction of the cost of buying an HID Spotlight. [...]

Amazing light. have had my 15 mil over four years now still takes and holds a charge. You can feel the heat from this light on your face from over 10ft away...No Joke! We always bring ours camping. Its fun to shine it up at the night sky and see who else around has one. One year when they were selling at Costco we did this and counted four other beams, there was not another campsite for over a mile away, and we could see the beams well enough to play light sabre sword fights. Very cool.

Light works great. The legs could be better. They are hard to adjust and just cheap. The flashing LED while charging does not tell you anything about the battery charge status as the instructions say it should. Should flash while charging and by fully lite when fully charged.

I love this light, even though its as heavy as a anchor. Its bright and does what it is supposed to do...WHEN it works. Its very sporatic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I will have to buy something else because I need something I can rely on.

Pros: Very bright light with great range. Can cast a usable beam diagonally across my 20acres.

Cons: Lead acid battery makes the unit very heavy, slow to charge, and the useful battery life drops quickly.



I would not purchase this product again, look for something with modern battery technology.

The light is powerful, but the mains transformer does not work in the UK -you need to charge it 'in car' and/or purchase a new mains transformer for the UK-. A wire needed re-soldering before the lamp would work. Once it was working it was perfect for the job. It is quite large and heavy commensurate its power.

RECEIVED THIS ITEM WITHIN A FEW DAYS OF THE PURCHASE. AT A QUARTER MILE THINGS ARE BRIGHT AND EASY TO SEE. THANKS TO THE SELLER. THE PRICE IS LIGHT ON THE WALET FOR THE PRODUCK. THANKS TO AMAZON AND THE SELLAR. G - Camping - Spot Light - Cyclops - Spotlight'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Flashlight - camping, spotlight cyclops Flashlight - camping, spotlight