Sunday 28 December 2008

Cooling


right out of the box..... you can tell it's quality. It's heavy, tight and the lid snugs down well. I also bought the cooler top cushion to use as a console seat on my Carolina Skiff, even with the straps running under the cooler lid, it NEVER affected it's ability to keep my stuff cold. Worth every penny, and cheaper than you will find it in the store. Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Marine Cooler

This is just what you should expect from Coleman. The product is sturdy. The lid fits tightly with the body. The handles are heavy-duty. Two 20 LB bags of ice last the entire weekend with 90 degree heat before melting to water on day three.

Recently purchased this cooler and have no regrets. We had 2 coolers for a 3 day camping weekend. At the end of the weekend, the other cooler (54 qt standard coleman cooler) was almost fully melted, while this cooler was mostly ice with barely any water to drain. Would definitely recommend!

These coolers may keep ice for 5 days at 90 degrees (I have not tried this particular test, yet), but their construction is shoddy. I bought this cooler (Coleman Extreme Marine 70qt) for $49 at the same time that I also purchased a Coleman Extreme 70qt for $39. As near as I can tell, the ONLY different between these two coolers is that the Marine version is completely white where the regular Xtreme is blue with white lid. EVERYTHING else is completely identical. (Trust me, I looked over these two coolers for 20 minutes trying to spot the difference. There is none. So the first irritating thing is that for $10 more, you get nothing. Fortunately for me, the construction is so shoddy, I am forced to return this cooler.Examples of shoddy construction:-the bottom part of cooler is constructed of two pieces of plastic (inside part and external part) with foam in between. The seam where the two pieces of plastic comes together is not sealed properly. In some cases this gap is about 3/64". This compromises the integrity of the cooler. (This was way more prominent on the Marine version of the cooler. But, I have a feeling it is just inconsistent manufacturing and some Coleman coolers will be more screwed up than others, regardless of model. Wish I could find a store that carried them, as I could pick and choose and find the least crappy one, instead of ordering online and playing the lottery.)-hinges are cheap and thin plastic that I suspect will break in less than a season-handles are cheap plastic held together by cheap plastic pins (doubt they last more than one trip)-drain plug is cheap plastic cover type and not screw type-no basket to keep dry things dry-inside of lid looks like it has channel for rubber seal, however, A) there is no seal and B) more infuriating is the fact that in 8 little places and one larger place near handle, this channel is missing, so you cannot even put in a seal yourself to completely seal cooler.-no latch on frontMy recommendation is that you DO NOT PURCHASE THIS COOLER. If you must purchase a Coleman cooler, save $10 and buy the regular Xtreme version. Then, make the following mods:1 pull out pins on plastic handles and replace handles with rope

2 replace hinges with stainless steel

3 seal seam between two plastic parts of bottom section of cooler

4 buy appropriately-sized cheap freezer basket and rig inside cooler to keep dry things dryTo go crazy with your mods you can add the following:5 add foam seal to channel in lid where you can

6 add a couple draw latches to front

7 add some non-skid rubber feet

8 replace drain plug with screw typeThen you might have a decent cooler. Or you could bite the bullet and get a Yeti or Engel which are built like tanks.

This cooler is no better than the basic coolers you can find in most stores that cost half as much. I purchased this cooler thinking the extra cost would provide the benefits that were advertised. I put 16lbs of ice in a cooler filled with drinks and had to replace the ice every other day. My cooler was outside in the shade with daily high/lows of 85/60 degrees. The handles appear to be too flimsy for a cooler of this size and flexed too much. I purchased two other Coleman products with this cooler (another small extreme cooler and a chair). The other two items were complete junk and I returned them the day I received them. I also had a disappointing experience with a Coleman grill. I do not recommend any Coleman product.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cooling Cooling Cooling