Monday 1 December 2008

Automotive - spark plugs, bosch


One of the best if not the best Plug I ever installed. And I've been doing my own car maintenance for over 40 years. From when I first backed the car out of the garage I noticed a much improved throttle response. Now after nearly 1000 miles and checking mpg I can state that I have at least a 10% gain in gas mileage, thus after 3 tank fills I've paid for the plugs. Note, that I had 90,000 miles on the original 100,000-mile factory plugs, and they looked worn when I removed them. Now I know one does get appreciable gain in horsepower from plugs alone, but when your replacing old ones you will definitely get that WOW feeling when you mash that throttle down. Bosch (4508) FGR8LQI0 8 Platinum IR Fusion Spark Plug, Pack of 1

I purchased these on the advice of a friend. They are replacing NGK Iridium IX spark plugs at around 90K miles on them. The NGK plugs went from the correct gap setting of .044 to .058 and had some signs of rust, it was time. They were being placed in the my 2002 Honda Odyssey which has 168K miles.



First off, these plugs are more fool proof to install since there is nothing to gap. They are suppose to get more spark at the tip due to the 4 electrodes. The end result is a mixed bag. I was really expecting my milage to go up a little like after the last time I replaced the factory NGK plugs with the IXs. What I got was slightly better Highway milage but over all my City milage had gone down a little. The car runs much smoother, sounds better, and definitely more drivable but the milage gain overall that I was hoping for was not there. Maybe it will take the Honda Computer more time to adjust to the different burn of the plugs. These plugs should not be any hotter or colder than my other ones. Overall, for the drivablity and smoothness are better and there is a slight gain in highway mpg, but for some reason my city mpg took a small hit. I had not found anything on the web matching what happened to me but those are the breaks.



If I had the time and money I would like to try out the actually factory NGK plug vs the NGK IX vs these just to see if there is a real difference. Given the car has 168K on it these are going to be my last plugs that are installed. Overall more good than bad but not as good as I had hoped for. [...].

Replaced in to my 2005 HONDA Cr-V. Smooth engine firing and acceleration power immediately noticeable. I monitored the fuel consumption, before and after installation. I found out that fuel efficiency went down, understandably, due to "increase" in power. See below:



Before installation: 19.99 MPG (average)

After installation: 18.54 MPG (average)



where MPG = miles per gallon of 87% octane gasoline.



Overall..happy with the new performance.

I rate this as poor as I just received the spark plugs five days late and the box smashed and half open. It looked as if a truck drove over the small box? It was a wonder I got all eight plugs and was very disappointed in whoever packaged these plugs as it was the worst I eve have seen. There was no protection if the shipping box was damaged. I have waited and waited for these plugs and when I get them, they are smashed. Not bad plugs, but terrible packaging and makes me wonder about Amazon. - Spark Plugs - Bosch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Automotive - spark plugs, bosch spark plugs Automotive - spark plugs, bosch