Sunday 16 November 2008

Oscillating Saw - dremel tool, multi-max


Before I get into the actual product, a quick review of CPO Dremel. The refurb tool was in perfect condition - if it were not for the sticker on the handle that said it was a refurb, you'd think it was brand new. The blade, flexible scraper and sanding attachments were brand new and sealed in plastic. The major differences are that it comes in a plain brown box, and there's only a 1 year warranty instead of the 2 years you get with a new unit. Good way to save a few bucks -- when I ordered it the price was quite a bit lower than the new one. Prices change a lot, however, so be sure to compare before buying.



The Multi-Max is a very useful tool provided you understand its limitations. It's perfect for homeowner use, and is incredibly handy for jobs such as making a plunge cut into wood or drywall, undercutting trim when installing flooring, removing grout and peeling off caulk. Those are the tasks I've used it for and each time I've been very pleased with the ease of use and the final results. Makes me look like I'm a much better carpenter than I actually am!



I've had no problems whatsoever with the blade coming off like some have reported. There's a phone number listed in a FAQ on the Dremel site if you want to get a better washer assembly (they send it to you for free). So far I've not had the need for it - just make sure the washer is situated properly (there are stickers and notices all over the tool and instruction manual telling you how to position it) and tighten the holding bolt down firmly. Zero problems for me after hours of use. But, I'll probably call them to get the better washer system just in case it's needed down the road.



It is not a tool that can withstand the hard and heavy use that a professional contractor or carpenter dishes out. There's a reason that the Fein costs so much more - it's built to withstand much heavier duty than the Dremel. I doubt this would last more than a few months in the hands of a contractor who uses it every day. For the typical homeowner, however, it's a fantastic way to get 95% of the benefits of a Fein at a fraction of the price. More than sturdy enough for typical homeowner use around the house.



I went with this versus the Rockwell mainly since the Dremel blades are a lot easier to find. You can get them on Amazon or, if you need one immediately, you can find them at the big box stores.



Usage tip: don't force the tool - let it do the work. You'll get a much cleaner cut and you'll extend the life of the blade.



Update June 2011: I've had this for nearly 2 years and it's still going strong. Just used it the other day to cut out a damaged wood floor slat to replace it. Perfectly clean cut -- no way I could have done it without this. Going through oak flooring took some time even with the metal/wood blade, but it made it. Zero problems to date, and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I'd still like to get a Fein since I love the way those work and feel, but this gets the job done for a whole lot less. It's not contractor grade-tough as a Fein, but really handy for homeowner-grade use. Factory-Reconditioned Dremel 6300-02L-RT 120-Volt Multi-Max Oscillating Kit

This is a nice tool that I have used numerous times in the two weeks I've owned it. I am a remodeling contractor so it got a good workout. Be careful how long and how hard you use it, it does heat up and that will kill any tool. The cutting blades wear out relatively easily and are expensive to replace, although I've found the most economical way to buy them is to google various deals on the internet. This tool is incredibly versatile and does things that no other tool in my extensive arsenal does. I'm very pleased I bought it.

I knew about oscillating multi-tools but so far hadn't needed one. I'm a bit leery about just buying tools on a whim because sometimes I've found that they really don't make things easier or save time.



This spring I had a small DIY project in my kitchen which included cleanly removing sections of existing base & crown moulding without marring the floor, walls or ceiling. I first wanted to see how long it would take me to do it with the tools I had and learned that it was quite tedious & difficult if I wanted to be neat and even with care, the adjacent moulding got a few chips/scratches/cracks and the drywall got gouged.



So I decided to order this reconditioned Dremel Multi-Max and work on a different part of the project in the meantime. I've had good luck with reconditioned tools so I figured it was worth the gamble. One thing that swayed me toward the Dremel over the other brands was that replacement blades could be easily had from the local big-box stores. It arrived on time (I'm cheap and went with the slowest shipping). Opening it up, I found a complete set. The blades were obviously new and the Multi-Max looked new too even though it must have been used at one time in order to have been reconditioned.



I spent a few minutes testing the Multi-Max on scrap and then tackled the moulding. "Whir whir whir" (change the angle of the blade)"whir whir whir pop" (cat's paw action) and the first piece was out. Not only was it insanely easy & quick but the results were a big improvement over my earlier attempts by hand: the cuts were sharp & clean and the adjacent moulding/walls/floor/ceiling were unmarred. I was able to remove all the other sections just as quickly.



I suspect this thing will be handy for a few upcoming projects (repairing sections of our old hardwood floor and the biggy: upgrading our garage interior). The Multi-max is great for fiddly work - that is making neat precise cuts in awkward places.

I bought this reconditioned Dremel 6300 Multi Max tool and I have to say it was a great decision. [...] shipped to my house. I bought the grout attachment and removed the grout in my bathroom floor. It's a smaller bathroom with about 30 sq feet of 12" tile. Took about 2 hours or a little more to remove the grout. Worked like new. Looked like new. I'm very happy with deciding to do this. I can't wait to try some of the other options it has. - Oscillating Saw - Multi-max - Multi Tool - Dremel Tool'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Oscillating Saw - dremel tool, multi-max oscillating saw Oscillating Saw - dremel tool, multi-max