Thursday 20 November 2008

Lithium-ion - lithium-ion, 18 volt


This new drill from Hitachi falls under the category of "compact" - a recognition by the various tool manufacturers that many folks want a smaller, lighter package in a high-performance tool. This tool has less torque and slower speed than its full-sized bretheren. But of course, a 550 in lb drill costs more, weighs more, and is much harder to handle.



Wow! This drill feels like a 9.6V or maybe a 12V drill with ni-cads. But with 374 in lbs of torque, it performs at a level that I did not expect from such a small tool. I use it mostly for drilling holes and driving screws in hardwood. It performs those tasks effortlessly. The chuck is satisfactory. The grip is small enough for my daughter to use it. The battery life is impressive, and the recharge time is very fast as compared to ni-cads. This drill feels light and balanced, and is a pleasure to use.



Borrowing an expression I read in a tool review recently - "This feels like the future." It seems like cordless tools have undergone a revolution, and this new drill with its remarkably light batteries is at the forefront.



I rarely reach for my full-sized drill since this new Hitachi came along. I recommend this drill without reservation. Hitachi DS18DFL 18-volt Li-Ion Drill Kit

I have had, still have, and have used many different cordless drills including Makita, Dewalt, Craftsman, Ryobi, Black & Decker, Ridgid, and Hitachi. This is the first Lithium Ion drill I have purchased.



I have used the Hitachi 18-Volt Ni-Cad drill extensively and was really impressed with the feel, balance, lack of chuck wobble, and power. A complaint that I have with my Dewalt cordless drill (and many other cordless drills) is chuck wobble.



The new Hitachi "compact" 18-Volt Li-Ion cordless drill is similiar to its Ni-Cad counterpart except lighter and, of course, the upgraded battery technology. I have been very impressed with the power. The batteries charged in about 30 minutes. The torque is very comparable with my Dewalt 18-Volt Ni-Cad drill. Important to me, the chuck wobble is relatively small compared to my Dewalt.



At first, I was a little concerned with the 1.5 amp-hour rating being too low. However, the entire amp-hour rating situation is confusing and somewhat complex and depends on testing standards, etc. The bottom line is actual performance. Compare the Hitachi Li-Ion 18-Volt to the Makita compact Li-Ion 18-Volt drill and read the many reviews citing good battery life and good overall performance. The Hitachi 18-volt Li-Ion Drill is a professional quality tool and an exceptional value...you will not be disappointed.

I have had a Panasonic MiMH 12V drill for several years. I wanted another cordless drill and thought this Hitachi 18V Lithium Ion would be a nice step up. Not true. Even after several years, the Panasonic charge lasts longer and the drill has more power for difficult tasks. I'm not only disappointed with the battery. The chuck is also a step down from the one on my Panasonic. I have to make a special effort to get the Hitachi chuck tight enough to hold without slipping.



I with I had got another Panasonic.

Bought this drill when rescreening our screened in porch and was so glad I did. Utilized many of the drill's features and I'm positive having this drill cut down work time by at least 15%. Li-Ion battery gave more than enough power to last through many more operations than my old Black and Decker cordless Ni-Cd drill. I actually didn't have enough use in a day to exhaust a single battery's power.



I coupled this drill with a DeWalt quick switch drill and screw system to install the tracks for the screening system I chose. Thanks to the Hi/Low switch and the variable clutch, drilling the pilot hole and then screwing down the track was nearly like one smooth operation. Compared to the old ways of putting up things like screening track, this method was svelte and nearly blissful.



I'm so confident in this drill, I can't wait to start rebuilding the deck on my house. I'm positive this drill will far, far outperform my old cordless, which wouldn't last 1/2 a day when I built my last deck. I wouldn't be surprised to see this drill last all day, especially with the included secondary battery.



One disclaimer to my review . . . I'm not a contractor nor do I pretend to be anything like one. I am a home user that uses my tools to improve the home I live in. This means I don't use these tools as heavily as a contractor would. So if you are a home user, buy this drill. It has been working wonderfully for me. If you are a contractor, you might want to consider something that is Li-Ion with higher voltage.

Lighter than my old 18 V Skil, cheaper than Makita or Ryoby, small enough to fit between the studs to drill sideways ( in the existing construction, for example), plenty of torque, batteries run forever, 5-year warranty, 2 (TWO) Li-I batteries, many other brands come only with one.



Follow up. Had it for 18 months, used very, very heavily. Can not say enough good things about it. Very lightweight, one charge can screw about 150 1.5" long screws, so you are looking at 2 to 3 hours on one charge. Batteries recharge VERY quickly in 20 minutes. My only gripe is a lack of charge level indicator on the battery. Drill would be working 100% and then stop---battery needs to be replaced. On the plus side, unlike NiCads, Li-Ions give 100% juice until the very last moment, so I do not have to deal with a slow drill.

I have owned the DS 18DFL for 18 months. This is the worst drill I have ever had. Yes, the battery lasts, but the chuck is the worst! Very difficult to get it tight enough to use a drill bit--especially small ones. I have owned 2 competitors over the years and would never purchase Hitachi hand tools again. Hard to believe they field tested this model. - Cordless Drill - 18 Volt - Lithium-ion - Cordless'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Lithium-ion - lithium-ion, 18 volt cordless drill Lithium-ion - lithium-ion, 18 volt