Friday 7 November 2008

Dust Collection


I bought this to catch dust from a sliding compound miter saw. By itself it gets about 40 percent of the dust. I built a catch-box out of 1/4-inch plywood that employs the Big Gulp Hood as a funnel into the central dust control system. The catch-box, which works, is probably 10 times the size (in area) of the Big Gulp. Nothing as small as the Big Gulp is going to be as effective as it needs to be at any stationary tool that kicks dust in all directions. PSI Woodworking DBGULP Big Gulp Dust Hood

So I purchased this item almost a year ago, and after trying different methods I have come to a conclusion that this is a great item IF you have time to modify it.



I had no problem attaching it to my existing system. Where I did run into problems was figuring out a way to get all or most of the dust into the Big Gulp. I feel that the only way this will absolutely work 100% is to make a larger than necessary box to go around the miter saw and place the Big Gulp behind and beneath the saw. I find that even with 1250 CFMs it does not create enough suction to draw everything my compound miter saw spits out. At the end of each day I am shoveling mounds of saw dust over to it and shovelling it in! I am limited to space in my current set up, however, at one point in time I had thought of using it as a makeshift downdraft table system for sanding and jog saw cutting. It seems as to me that if you don't have enough room to place this item in the correct spot then it will not work as you intended...



Just my $0.02...

I have a big gulp mounted behind and just forward of the headstock on my lathe, about 6" from the centerline of the ways with its vertical center level with the material. Works fine - gets virtualy all of the really fine dust (the most dangerous kind, I understand) - however, keep in mind, this is a large open area to support, so you need plenty of air volume to get adequate pickup velocity ...

I have this product mounted to my radial arm saw and it is doing a decent job grabbing sawdust on cross cuts. I'm attempting to use an older Ridgid shop vac to suck in the dust, and it's pretty anemic, for the most part. I'm sure this setup would work better if connected to a higher powered dust collector.



Beware, the diameter measurement is OD. I have it coupled to a 4" to 2 1/4" reducer, and it is currently held together with duct tape. To connect this securely to a reducer, you need a short length of 4" flexible tubing, or a connecter with 4" ID.

I USE THIS HOOD IN MY SHOP AT A STATION DEDICATED FOR MISC PORTABLE TOOLS. IT WORKS VERY WELL AND IS CONVENIENT.



MOUNTED TO A FLEX-HOSE, I CAN MOVE IT UP AND OUT OF THE WAY WHEN I'M FINISHED WITH TOOL I'VE SELECTED.Jet JW1032 4-Inch x 20-Foot Black Dust Collection Hose.

this large dust hood is made of abs plastic which is very strong stuff!

when hooked to your dust collector the really large opening can suck in

huge amounts of dust but the only bad part about it is that there is no

way of mounting the hood. would be nice if there were some plastic tabs

molded around the outside so mounting to a stand would be possible.

This dust hood would ge great if the hose port was in the middle AND it came with a provision for connecting a tripod, etc. It is out of balance and clumsy to use. One of these days I'll modify it in such a way as to make it usefull. Quite frankly it gets very little use due to it's akwardness. If this hadn't been a Xmas gift I would have sent it back.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Dust Collection Dust Collection Dust Collection