Sunday 30 November 2008

Crockpot Cookbook - slow cooking, crockpot recipes


While I think it's terrific to have kids helping out in the kitchen, it can be difficult when the oven and burners are off limits. Enter the slow cooker! No open flame, just a pot that uses the same amount of energy as a 60 watt light bulb. Author Phyllis Good refers to it as "the easy-to-get-along with appliance."



I like that the book construction and overall setup are very kid friendly. A spiral binding encourages little hands to leaf through the pages, while the instructions and preparation methods are clearly aimed at a child's level. The ham in Ham and Potato Chowder is cut into strips using kitchen shears and the microwave is used for some advance cooking steps in several recipes. Directives like "Use potholders to remove the bowl from the microwave" and "Cover your slow cooker" may seem obvious to an adult, but not so for a child learning to cook. I love that each recipe is nicely spaced out on a full page, for easy consultation, with a large full-color photo of the dish on the opposing page.



Your kids can help get Tempting Tortilla Casserole or Creamy Lasagna on the table for dinner or prepare Crunchy Snack Mix or Pizza Dip for their own after school snacks. There are a host of breakfast dishes and desserts to choose from, including some amazing looking Chocolate Covered Pretzels. In all, there are fifty fabulous recipes that can help get your kids cooking and building some confidence in the kitchen. I found this book to be a great tool in helping get kids cooking in the kitchen.



[...] Fix-It and Forget-It Kids' Cookbook: 50 Favorite Recipes to Make in a Slow Cooker

First off, I LOOOOVE the idea of this cookbook! It's written for your kids to read, so there are reminders about using oven mitts, and other basic info that you would know, but a kid might not. I think the concept is so empowering for kids! BUT, the food was SO unhealthy! I mean, if I am teaching my child to cook, I am going to steer him or her away from most of the kinds of foods in here. Very high fat, processed, unbalanced dishes. I wasn't blown away by the creativity either. Oh well. It was an impulse buy, serves me right.

Let's be realistic here. I have 5 adult children and about a dozen grandkids so I know a little bit about kids and their eating habits. To be fair regarding this cookbook, the recipes may not be the healthiest but these recipes are geared around what kids like to eat. I know for myself that I am far more likely to make a recipe if I LIKE what I am going to make. Good luck getting kids excited about cooking if their only choices are recipes they are not particularly fond of. They won't be eating like this all the time but it's a great way to get them started.

I give this author 5 stars for her "Fix-It and Forget-It Kids' Cookbook" and it's easy way to interest the kids in cooking.

I purchased as a shared gift for my two granddaughters. Both love to cook, and this was a great purchase. The pictures are brillant and recipes are easy to follow. The five year old decided the first recipe they make will be the broccoli cornbread. Even their Mom is excited about making mac and cheese in a crockpot. Now I wish I had purchased one for me.

We purchased this book for our son's 7th birthday. He's shown interest in cooking, and we thought this would be a great cookbook for him. It's set up in such a way that he really needs minimal help in preparing the recipes. He's made several desserts and a snack so far. I love seeing his sense of accomplishment as he finished a recipe, and best of all, the recipes taste good!



I highly recommend this book for kids who really want to learn to cook independently!

These recipes are all great for kids to make all on their own with just a little adult supervision. They all use only the slow cooker and/or the microwave. My daughter loves this book and the recipes are tasty.

I got this book along with a 4qt. crock pot for my 9 year old daughter last Christmas. We Absolutely love it. The recipes are easy and delicious and My daughter loves that she can make most of the recipes by her self.

I really loved this book, and I am glad I bought it for my nephew. Let's face it...these are the kids of foods most kids like to eat. The pictures are great, and as an avid crock-pot junkie myself, there were recipes in here I would love to try! I wish the book were a little longer, but I am a huge fan of this series, and the book it definitely, if nothing else, very kid-friendly. And cheap! :-) A nice gift for a kid with an interest in cooking. - Slow Cooking - Crockpot Recipes - Kids - Crock Pot'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Crockpot Cookbook - slow cooking, crockpot recipes crock pot Crockpot Cookbook - slow cooking, crockpot recipes