Friday 24 October 2008

Viewsonic - photo frame, digital frame


The Viewsonic Digital Photo Frame (10in) is an all-around great product for displaying those precious photos in your collection. The quality is extremely high and the cropping of photos seems to be realistic and nice. If a photo doesn't fit the frame, the resizing tends to distort the image slightly, but much less than other products of this type.



I highly recommend the 10 in digital frames; if you are thinking between the sizes, the size difference is quite worth it. Photos are easily seen from a slight distance and the overall appearance just seems nicer.



The main downside to this frame is that it only contains a 100 MB internal memory, which, with high quality photos only holds about 100-200 photos. However, it does contain a USB port and flash memory port for loading files, and the drag-and-drop method of loading images onto the frame is simple for even the most inexperienced user.



Highly recommended item. ViewSonic VFD1027w-11 10.2-Inch Digital Photo Frame with 128 MB Internal Memory

While this doesn't have a lot of memory, the quality of the frame is very good. I purchased a 4G SD drive to go with this and, even after that cost, this was option was cheaper than most other digital frames and just as nice. I chose this larger frame as this was a gift for my husband's grandfather as I thought the larger frame would be easier to see and i was right! I previously purchased a 7-inch frame but returned it as it was way too small for an elderly person to view the pictures, but this 10-inch frame was just right and he ended up loving this gift!

On a positive note, the picture quality and size of the pictures is very good. The frame has settings so you can adjust how long a frame is displayed. I have set it at 3 second intervals, however, the frame automatically switches from 5 to 15 second intervals sporatically. Also, the frame came with a remote to allow one to move forward or backward at will. This function also does not work consistantly. I will be calling the manufacturer to see if they have any suggestions. Perhaps it is just a bad unit?

I purchased this frame with the intention of placing it on my desk at work and using it for viewing thousands of photos I'd shot of my kids, sporting events, performing arts events, travel, etc. over the years. It was my intention of using the frame as a means of giving plenty of time to look at my work when I'm on the phone, eating, etc., plus the opportunity to delete anything I've later decided isn't so great. This will not work for me (see below), but I have decided to keep the unit anyway for use at home on my wall.



I own 2 DSLR's and 5 lenses, and tend to shoot thousands of photos. I also have, and occasionally use a point-and-shoot camera wich produces images much closer to square (4 x 3) than my DSLR's (3 x 2). I tend to rotate my cameras between vertical and horizontal a lot in order to fill the image with the subject, so I need viewers than enable me to see them all effectively. This device only fulfills part of my needs, as can be seen below.





The Pros:



The price I paid, around 70 bucks, was a great deal for this size of frame.



Great for hanging on a wall and viewing wide type photos from a DSLR in horizontal orientation. Images look great from a distance of 6 feet or more.



Viewer has the capability to operate in random slide show mode with access to multiple directories on the SD card or USB drive.



Appears to work with any size of SD card. Currently, I have no trouble with an 8 GB card. Does not appear to have any limitations on filenames, as would be typical of older units.





The Cons:



No autosensing capability to enable the viewer to be optimally used for photos in vertical orientation. Of course, it does shrink them to fit, but this wastes about 60% of the screen's viewing area. I assumed this capability would be standard, given that I own another frame several years old which has this capability. The arm on the back of the unit does not even permit you to set it in a vertical position.



Image quality is mediocre when viewed at close range, such as when sitting on a desktop. When viewed from 6 or more feet away, it looks good.



No apparent capability to delete photos from the SD card using the remote control or those on the back of the device.



Not so great if your only camera is a point-and-shoot unit with a 4 x 3 aspect ratio because you'll either waste space on the viewer or be forced to crop the photos.



The process of entering the initial settings (date, time, viewing preferences, etc.) is a bit cumbersome and does not always work well. It provides no confirmation that you've actually saved the setting, so you can sometimes lose the data you've entered into the settings without realizing it until later. I think the key to avoiding this problem is to be sure and hit ENTER for every setting you change.

This is a nice frame, good picture, etc. Its rather large, too. The trouble is with Viewsonic as a company. We got our frame for Christmas. It occasionally locks up. Viewsonic support has been terrible at responding. They ignore email, and live support is only available during a small window of the day when I'm at work.



So if you get one that works fine out of the box, its great. If not, return it right away.

I bought this as a Christmas present and I'm glad it was for my significant other so it can stay in the house.



The frame has a good size and one of the best resolutions on a digital frame that I have seen. The picture is bright with good contrast and detail.



The only thing I will mention is that I've found that pictures that are sized perfectly for the resolution look better than those that have to be resized by the internal processor. In other words, pictures that the internal processor resizes are a little fuzzy compared to pictures that I've cropped and resized in Photoshop. But this is a common "issue" with all digital frames that most people would never notice. - Digital Picture Frame - Digital Frames - Digital Frame - Photo Frame'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Viewsonic - photo frame, digital frame digital picture frame Viewsonic - photo frame, digital frame