Tuesday 23 September 2008

Coffeemaker Steel - coffeemaker steel, great coffee


First of all, the reason we bought this is because, in general, percolators make great tasting coffee. They can turn even the worst quality beans into a good cup of coffee. Initially, the Presto lived up to our expectations. And after doing the following, it is once again making great cups of coffee.



Tip #1 - Grind your coffee using the appropriate setting.



After some usage, we would at times get a mouthful of grinds. We realized it was important to use the percolator setting on the coffee grinder at the supermarket. Since then, an occasional coffee grind finds its way into our cup.



Tip #2 - Clean the filter basket with a brush.



Despite cleaning the pot before each usage, the coffee was gradually getting weaker each day. We then realized that the holes in the bottom of the filter basket were clogged. We could not unclog them using a sponge so I started poking each one individually with a toothpick before deciding there was no way we would have the time or patience to do it every day. So, we tried a brush with plastic bristles and, within seconds, the basket was completely unclogged. So, we bought a small brush with a long handle and use it to clean the filter basket and the bottom of the pot. Presto 02811 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffeemaker

I've used every type of coffee maker around. I look for all stainless- that means NO plastic or aluminum contacting the water----this has been a great product for me--I love perked coffee. When I'm not using this I use a Cona glass vacuum maker--- I'm a purist about materials and coffee making. Presto has been the most reliable of all my electric percs. It's all stainless.

I thought my Hamilton Beach percolator was decent for the price, I even wrote a review about it in December, 2006. One week later, this 1-year old coffee maker was barely keeping the coffee hot. Then I visited my son in Alaska at Christmas and noticed that his 6-yr old Presto percolator was still delivering great, hot coffee in record time. I returned home, ordered my Presto 12-cup percolator and am highly impressed. It's lighter, easier to load, easier to pour, easier to clean, perks ultra-fast and makes a great, hot cup of coffee. Because of its lighter stainless steel pot, it cools down faster if you want to make a second batch of coffee right away. (We make two pots and pour the first batch into a thermos for back-up when company comes) Based on its performance, I'm surprised the price is so reasonable.

I am a coffee drinker, and have been for decades. I have tried most systems out there-French Press, Filters of all kinds, stovetop espresso pots, etc. Of all of those, French Press makes pretty good coffee. But this Presto percolator extracts more flavor than any of them to my taste.



Here are some clues. The kitchen fills with the smell of coffee brewing. It's nice, and I haven't smelled that wonderful, welcoming smell in a long time. The coffee comes out rich and thick. For those of you that use cream or milk, you will still have a decent coffee flavor after the addition.



The pot itself is a fairly simple device. I am sure there is a micro-processor thermostat under the black base, but still a simple device. All parts are Stainless Steel. The pot, the basket holder, the basket and the basket top. No plastic touches the coffee. Parts, should they become damaged for any reason are easily available from the Presto site. But with reasonable treatment these are sturdy, workable pieces of coffee brewing goodness.



The brew cycle is regulated by the amount of water in the pot. I have tried making four cup, six cup, eight cup, and ten cup batches. Following the directions that come with the pot or that area available on the Presto site will yield weaker or stronger brews according to your taste. One just has to experiment a bit to get a feel for it.



The brew cycle ends with a flourish of percing. Then the light on the front goes off. Here's what they don't tell you. Wait another minute or so till the last batch of water filters through the basket, then open the top take out the basket top and then the basket and brewpipe. Pop the top back on. The coffee will stay hot for as long as you leave the pot plugged in. And at a good hot temp, too.



This holding part of the cycle is a double edged sword. Coffee definitely looses its full flavor after a while, but the coffee will stay hot for as long as the pot is plugged in. I recommend making several smaller batches over the day rather than just brewing a big one. That hassle aside, I haven't yet let the pot burn with no coffee in it.



All in all, this Presto pot brews a great cup of coffee in batches from four to twelve cups. Best purchase to my quality of life I have made in some time. Highly recommended.

I'm not an every day coffee drinker, so I didn't want to invest in a programmable coffee maker. I selected the Presto coffeemaker for three reasons: (1) it can brew small batches of coffee as well as large servings; (2) it doesn't require much counter space in my kitchen; (3) it is easy to use. I brewed two cups of Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee on first use, and I was not disappointed. The coffee was rich, hot, and fast. I recommend using coffee filters to prevent grounds from settling as well as for easy clean up.

I've had this pot for about 2 yrs now and love it.

However I have recently noticed the 12 min brewing time was getting longer, up to 20 min. I thought I had to replace it as being defective.

Turns out the 2 screws on the bottom of the unit were coming loose, I just tightened them up and now it's back to a 12min brew cycle.



EDIT...Update...

Another 12 months have passed aprox and I have noticed that the brewing time is getting longer again. Aprox 16 min instead of 12.

I also noticed the 'click' of the temperature sensors (thermistors) happens more frequently and the pot not 'perking' as much.

So one of the 2 sensors is getting weak and shutting off early, cycling the heating element more often and extends the brewing time

as the water doesn't heat as fast if it keeps shutting off.



UNPLUG UNIT>>>

Remove the two screws on the bottom and lift off the black base and you will see 2 brown sensors held down on the bottom of the pot by a metal band.

One is closer to the center and mounts on the side of the center heating unit.



If your brewing time is getting longer, gently lift that sensor (or unscrew the one hold down screw) and slide a small piece of Aluminum foil (1 layer thickness) between the sensor and the pot Make the foil the same size as the bottom of the sensor (aprox)so it doesn't contact any electrical contacts.

There is some white grease that conducts heat more efficiently, which in this case you don't want so don't worry about it.

The foil still conducts the heat but makes the sensor 'less' sensitive. And this will bring your brewing time back to the 12 min point.

You will also notice that during the 12 min brew cycle the pot Perks more like it did when it was new!!!



The other Sensor (furthest from the center) mounted on the bottom of the pot still turns off the pot when the overall temp of the coffee reaches it's limit.

I tested the pot with just water and it brings the temp to 178 deg which is the same as it was before the (aluminum foil) fix. - Coffeemaker Steel - Great Coffee - Coffee Maker - Coffeemaker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Coffeemaker Steel - coffeemaker steel, great coffee coffeemaker steel Coffeemaker Steel - coffeemaker steel, great coffee