Tuesday 9 September 2008

Bluetooth Car Adapter - car stereo, dual


I have to admit, I'm a big fan of Bluetooth. Since Apple's iPhone firmware 3.0 announced A2DP support (stereo Bluetooth), I've bought 3 different pairs of Bluetooth headphones, and this, the BTM60 for my Dual XHD6425. This is probably my least favorite of the bunch.



Installation was a breeze. You plug it in to the back of the unit, then run the wire behind the dash, making sure the microphone is clipped to the visor. Pairing was also pretty simple. You hold the "phone" button down on the dash unit for a couple seconds, enter the password "1234" on the handheld device (my iPhone), and you're set.



Then I started finding some little annoying things they didn't bother to include. You can't change the EQ presets in Bluetooth mode; you can change bass and treble, and "loud", but not the "rock", "dance", "pop", etc. You also cannot display the clock while it's in Bluetooth mode; it shows "AV MODE" while it's connected, and when you play music, "AV STREAM". Why?? I know it's supposed to support AVRCP (Audio-Video Remote Control Profile) which allows you to play/pause, fast-forward, rewind, skip tracks, etc., but I am only able to play/pause. Not that big a deal, and I actually think this is a problem with the iPhone, not the BTM60. And the sound quality of the music, I have to admit is terrific. After shutting the car off, the iPhone doesn't realize the connection is lost for about ~15 seconds and continues to "play" with no audio. I usually hit pause on the dash before shutting the engine off, just so I don't lose my place in the song.



The call quality, I think, is pretty poor. I have to turn the volume WAY up to hear people through the speakers, and practically yell for anyone to hear me. Granted, there is a fair amount of road noise in my car, but I thought this was able to cancel it out. It's certainly not the location of the microphone; it's almost directly in front of my mouth. I don't make a lot of calls from my car though, so this is not such a big deal for me. I bought it mainly to stream music. An incoming call seamlessly fades out and pauses your music and sounds the ringer (an escalating series of tones). When the call is done, it automatically unpauses and fades in your music.



All in all, it's about what I was expecting, and my complaints are minor but numerous. It's still a huge step up from my FM transmitter with the factory stereo. I never even have to take the iPhone out of my pocket. Just wait for it to connect (~30 seconds after starting the car), and hit play on the dash. Dual Btm60 Bluetooth Interface Module

This product does work good but... you must have the product installed on your visor. I have mine installed above my radio so that I didn't have to run wires all over the place and now I have to practically yell so that the microphone wil pick up my voice. If the microphone was directly above me I would not have that problem.

I'm very impressed with the clarity of the BTM60. It's very easy to install and setup. I have a Moto RAZR and my wife has a Nokia 6133 and I didn't have any problems pairing either of them. I have it setup to auto connect and it has worked every time with both phones.



According to the people that I've talked to, my voice is crystal clear and sounds much better than the Moto H500 Bluetooth headset that I was using.



I highly recommend the BTM60 to anyone that has a compatible Dual head unit.

It does almost everything except one of the most important things as an auto Bluetooth device for the car: dialing out while driving. No body in their right mind will dial out by pressing the tiny buttons on the head unit, nor should they dial out on their phone. Pretty much all phones support some kind of voice dial nowadays and pretty much all headsets do voice dial as their normal function. Well the BTM60 doesn't. My Samsung BlackJack II uses Windows Mobile 6's built-in Voice command to dial. My 3 headsets will initiate voice dial by pressing a button on the headset. For the BTM60 to do voice dial, you have to get out your phone, press a button on the phone, then speak to the BTM60 to do voice dial. This really defeats an important purpose of having a Bluetooth unit in the first place. So BTM60 is not totally a hands-free device.

Installed in Geo Metro Convertible about a month ago. Noise cancelling microphone OUTSTANDING. Can go 70 MPH on worn concrete freeway (roaring sound in passenger compartment) and in spite of all the noise around me I can carry on a conversation over cell phone hands free with person on other end NOT hearing the extra noise. Caller I.D. phone number (not name) appears on radio face when receiving call, redial works as advertized, no volume difference issues between radio and phone for me. I could not be happier with this setup! My LG VX9900 cell phone has a 2GIG memory card with music that also sincs with Btm60 no problem. When I get in the car, the phone automatically sincs with the Btm60 so I don't have to think about it, and when the stereo goes quiet to receive a call, my momentary wonderment (is there a problem?) is replaced by happiness not having to pull my phone out of my pocket, hold it up to my ear and deal with the distraction. I just push the button on the module (or auto answer is available), and start talking. Considering hands free devices used to be $200 and more, I'd say the Btm60 is a bargain for $46.

I bought this for use with my Dual XHD-6425 CD Receiver. Took me about 5 minutes to install, despite the ridiculously insufficient manual, which basically said "You've got this, now look at your head unit instructions" which aren't real great either. I powered it up, paired it with my phone, & tried a call. I got a beep from the speakers when I first hit the speed dial button, and that was all, no more sound, just a display reading "AV MODE". I talked to Dual's Tech support, but they've no idea why this would be displayed. BTW, you have the option of the visor mount or Velcro-ing it somewhere. The Velcro pad adhesive is terrible. I could have hung a loogie & gotten better adhesion. - Dual - Car Stereo - Audio - Bluetooth'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Bluetooth Car Adapter - car stereo, dual bluetooth Bluetooth Car Adapter - car stereo, dual