Friday 19 August 2011

Optical Digital Convertor - audio, digital


Works great for my application! My brand new SHARP Aquos has five HDMI inputs, but only one Optical audio out. My old BOSE LS-50 only has ONE COAX Digital-in (and NO optical). This unit allowed me to pass all of the audio through my TV (PS3, Wii, Tuner, PC, etc.) and out to the BOSE without a switchbox or changing wires all the time.



I have NOT had to power-cycle the device yet (as other have warned) and it has worked consistently and sounds great.



**NOTE** As others have mentioned; BE SURE to get the right one!!! This model is OPTICAL-IN, COAX OUT. These are uni-directional and this unit will not convert COAX to optical. Choose carefully! Cables to Go 40019 Optical to Coaxial Digital Audio Converter (Black)

I had the problem of too many TOSLINK outputs and not enough inputs. The good news for me was that I did have one spare Coax input. This converter easily made the switch and I'm enjoying my digital audio with no problems.



Please be aware that this is a powered unit- so plan to have a power brick (albeit a small one) plugged in somewhere near your desired install location. Also, the unit itself is about the length and width of a business card, and about as thick as a deck of cards. In other words, it's pretty small and can fit just about anywhere.

I bought this converter to be able to connect my PS3 to my home theater, which only had a coaxial input... I refused to buy a new home theater because it's not easy to find one with an active subwoofer (nor cheap).

It usually works perfect, but sometimes after a while, and all of a sudden, normal sounds become a very loud and irritating hiss, which usually scares the hell out of me...

I think I found out what causes this: when it gets hot (it was besides my PS3) so I repositioned it in a cooler, better ventilated place, and that was it... recommended

My amp has 1 optical and 3 coaxial digital audio connections. Both my playstation 3 and Tivo HD are optical only. With this convertor I can have both components hooked up at the same time with no problems, it just works and I still get the dolby digital 5.1 from the Tivo. I can discern no difference between connecting the tivo directly to the amp via optical, or to this convertor and then to coaxial on the amp. I have my tivo and this unit on a timer that turns it off 12+ hours a day to save energy, and this device doesn't mind losing power each day.

I have been trying for some time now to figure out what I needed to convert the Optical Audio out on my new HD TV to my Philips Surround Sound System. My TV unfortunately did not have a HDMI output despite having 4 HDMI inputs. The Video out was handled by a set of Component Video Outs.



I think my main problem was not knowing the correct technical name for all the jacks. As it turns out the TV optical jack is generally called a TOSLINK - The Philips unit had a Digital Coaxial Input as well as standard RCA sort of inputs. I wanted to maintain a high quality audio signal so I found this device which has allowed me to use the TOSLINK Optical Output on the TV and connect it to the Coaxial Digital Input on the Philips.



I bought this Toslink cable for the tv out

Mediabridge - Toslink Cable - Optical Digital Audio Cable - 3ft



and this Digital Coax Cable for the philips in

Belkin PureAV AV20100-03 3-Foot Digital Coaxial Audio Cable



Everything worked perfectly and took about 30 seconds to hook up.



Note that this item requires a power plug.

the product works fine and it came in black instead of silver which was a delightful surprise, the only problem is that every now and then it needs to be reset. to reset the easy way, (instead of unplugging it)I cycled through the settings on my receiver (i.e. aux1, aux2, etc)i would recommend this for people who dont want to spend alot to get there optical audio cable to digital coaxial - Great Device - Audio - Optical - Digital'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Optical Digital Convertor - audio, digital great device Optical Digital Convertor - audio, digital