Tuesday 9 August 2011

Book Light - booklight, led book light


The power in my house goes out on a regular basis, so I finally figured out that maybe getting a book light or two would be a worthwhile investment. After reading the reviews, I decided to get both a Great Point Light-Flex-Neck and a Multi Flex from Fulcrum. Each has its pluses and minuses and which one is better for you depends on what you want to use it for.



The Fulcrum light is brighter than the Great Point and covers a larger area. The switch is also much easier to use since it slides. On the Great Point, the top presses down and it's hard to get it to stay on. Sometimes it switches off for no apparent reason. It's either a poor design or I got a defective unit. The Fulcrum also takes 3 AAA batteries, which fit into the base, making it both heavier (about 2 1/2 ounces compared to about 1 1/2 ounces for the Great Point) and as a result making the clip a lot bulkier as well. The Great takes lithium batteries, much lighter, but also harder to find.



The Fulcrum is too heavy and too bulky to make it easy to attach to a paperback, and if you want to attach it to any book and hold the book up to read, it gets heavy very quickly. Its brighter light and greater weight and area make it a good choice for when you want to set a larger and heavier book on a table or for attaching to a very sturdy and prominent back rest, plus the easy availability of AAA batteries means you probably have a spare set around when the ones in the Fulcrum run out or at least you can grab replacements at the grocery store. The Great Point is better if you want to attach it to a book you are holding up to read, or to a paperback, or for when you want a little less light so as not to disturb a partner in bed. In any event, since they are both better than reading by candlelight both suit my needs, but one or the other is probably going to be better for most people depending on what you want. Or spring for both so you always have a spare. At this price, you could just about afford one for every room. Fulcrum Multi-Flex LED Task Light, Silver

I have gone through about ten book lights, and I think I like this one the best. My previous one was the type that clipped to the spine of the book, which I was not crazy about, but it did shine a better white light on a larger portion of the page then all my previous lights. Then it disappeared one day. I am sure I will find it months from now in the bottom of one of the kids toy boxes.



So I needed a new light and looked to Amazon. I found this one that had some pretty decent reviews, so I bought it. I am glad I did. The lightweight body clips to the back cover of the book ( or to a bunch of pages on a soft cover book ) the flexible gooseneck is very thin, but holds its position well. The LEDs give off a bright, white light that easily covers both pages fully on even a large hardcover book. No more dark corners to contend with. The base is small ( holds three AAA batteries ) but large enough to sit flat on the base if I do not want to clip it to the book.



Overall its a good book light that I am happy with.





***update 2/14/2010*** This book light has functioned flawlessly for over 2 1/2 years of almost daily use. I just had my first problem with it. The light started flickering and I would have to tap the head (part with the light) to get it working again. It happened for three or four nights in a row. I was seriously upset because this is my favorite book light and I really did not want to have to replace it, and this thing has seen some serious book time.



Well I looked at the head and there is one small screw on it. So I laid it out flat on the table, removed the screw, then took the cover off. There is a small metal slide and I figured the bent piece was not making contact, so I bent it just slightly, and it works again. I did that 1 minute repair three weeks ago and everything is working great. I look forward to another 2 1/2 years of service on this great little book light.

I have a drawer full of book lights. This is by far the best. Long flexible neck that stays where you put it. Enough batteries to keep it going. Wide, evenly dispersed light with no hot spots. It will even light a book with large pages. This is it.

Face it trying to put a light into a bed is always going to be a problem. I have stepped on this light, slept on this light, fell asleep with the light on and this light works almost flawlessly. It gives a nice even light that you could position easily as needed. There is very little overspill. The LED is a little "blue" but it is not distracting in anyway. Well, after 6 months of nightly use and abuse it has finally started to flicker when I move the goose neck sometimes. Also, the feel on the switch was never very satisfying. After looking at all of the available lights now I am going to buy the same one as a replacement.



I had a Itty Bitty for years but when it finally died I decided that a LED was the way to go. Long battery life and even light were my main concerns. I am still waiting for the perfect light but until then this is my favorite. - Led Book Light - Reading Light - Booklight - Kindle'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Book Light - booklight, led book light kindle Book Light - booklight, led book light