Tuesday 18 January 2011

Wire Cutters - made in usa, pos


This is an excellent tool.I have two sizes, but use the 8" most often. It works well to pull nails, cut wires, nibble metal, and bend, break, cut, or remove all manner of materials.The nipper gets into tight spots to pull nails when a hammer or pry bar won't fit.I used this tool last night. I was removing an old fireplace for a basement remodelling project. I used it to pull nails from the wooden framing. Then I cut the thick wire in the reinforced fabric ducting connected to the blower assemblies. I used it to cut the 12 gauge Romex to the blower (diag cutters or lineman's pliers may be the purist' choice-but I had this tool in hand...)Finally, I used it to bend sharp, nasty sheet metal edges into less dangerous shapes/positions when I was ready to carry the firebox outside.I have also used it in the past to grab rounded screw heads and extract them.Dependable tool. Frequently and successfully used. Highly recommended. Channellock 358 8-Inch End Cutting Plier

I agree with other reviewers here. These end-cutters are particularily well suited to pulling/leveraging nails. They are not as well suited to end-nipping. There are slightly better manual end-cutters for nipping where the pivot is closer to the jaws and the handles flare more widely resulting in better mechanical advantage. There are also ones with double-pivots which generate even better mechanical advantage and work well, but they can be unwieldy.



These however are perfect for nail pulling in that the jaws open wider, the head curvature is just right for the cam-action of leveraging a nail out and the narrower handles enable easy one-hand operation. As a carpenter I use these every day to quickly remove large stubborn nails with minimal damage to the lumber. Paired with a small Japanese prybar (Dogyu or others) they also work quite well for more delicate trim work.



By far, the easiest, quickest and least damaging way to pull nails.

Channellock comes through again, as I can't say enough for the utility of this 358 plier/nipper. My main use is renovation. When I go into a home, for example, that has an unfinished basement, for some reason there are always thousands of nails in the joists -- who does that! But these 358 nippers can either snip a nail head flush with a wall, ceiling, baseboard, floor, or joist, or it can effortlessly extract it by rolling it out. You'll never want to use a hammer to extract a nail again since this 358 plier rolls the nail out without marking the face of the board or wall. Also, its handles are curved so that all four fingers can apply equal pressure, giving you more torque. Another use is to cleanly shape material, corners, and edges. I can enlarge a wallboard cutout for an electrical outlet in a precise way rather than using a ziptool or using a clumsy hand saw. No matter what, make sure you have this tool in your belt.

End cuting pliers are one of the most useful tools on the planet. Someone needs to give them a better name, something a little sexier. I use mine mostly for pulling nails - they're the only way to go.

I order this because I already owned one and needed a second. I was astounded when I received it - it's a cheap counterfeit! Despite being prominently stamped "USA", it's probably a Chinese ripoff. It doesn't look at all like the picture on Amazon's website, which is what the one I already owned looks like. Instead of being milled, polished metal, it's just a black rough casting. The two halves aren't even joined in the same way - the copy uses a large rivet. If you buy this, you'll end up returning it, as I did.

This is one US tool that has the same quality as it did decades ago. I used it to cut off dozens of protruding roofing nail ends (from a treehouse roof) and it cut as well with the last as it did for the first.

You can't go wrong with Channellock. I have been using these pliers for a couple of months now to pull and cut nails. They are comfortable to use and provide fantastic leverage when pulling nails. I highly recommend. - Tools - Wire Cutters - Pos - Made In Usa'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information