Thursday 23 December 2010

Scholastic Teaching Resources - childrens books, beginning reading


I add words to my son's "sight word" list when we come across a word that is hard to sound out or he is having trouble with and I see that it has been coming up a lot in his readings. Well, some of the words on my son's list show up on this book's 3rd grade list. This seems silly to me since he is entering 1st grade and reading on his grade level.



I don't think this book challenges the reader as I had expected. 100 Words Kids Need to Read by 1st Grade: Sight Word Practice to Build Strong Readers

We have used several books for the kids and this one is perfect. I got 3 for my first, second, and third grader and the book is exactly what they needed. I will say that I need to get a 4th or fifth grade book for my third grader, but she is a little advanced. But these books are great for learning the sight words. They do different activities throughout the book to keep them interested.

My son struggled in kindergarten with reading so we decided to focus this summer on making sure he is ready for 1st grade. Its been helpful that to have a defined list and this book works well as a supplement to the summer bridge book we have and provides the added focus on reading. I wish there were more activity pages for each word group, mostly because they are presented in ways that connect the word with use in a sentence rather than a single word and a picture or two. - Scholastic Teaching Resources - Beginning Reading - Childrens Books'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Scholastic Teaching Resources - childrens books, beginning reading scholastic teaching resources Scholastic Teaching Resources - childrens books, beginning reading