Friday 12 November 2010

12 Vdc Mobile Appliances - 12 volt, automotive


I want o start by saying the image shown doesn't really look like the Roadpro I got, the one pictured looks cheaply made and flimsy. The one I got looks much better built. Also there are no tins, not a big deal as I had some already (and I recommend getting some they will be handy)



That said this thing is awesome! I pre-made a few breakfast burritos to heat up while we were out in the Mts on a day trip. I got out my little stove to give it a try, grabbed my burrito out of the ice chest and about 10mins later had a hot meal and I do mean hot! This thing definitely lives up to the 300 degrees.





Two things to note:

1. The bottom of the stove gets fairly warm. I only had it on for 15-20mins at a time so I can't say how hot it would get but it was hot enough I took notice.

2. I felt the need to flip my burritos as it heated more on the bottom than the top. Stacking two to three didn't work well either. There was plenty of room but the ones on top didn't get hot, they might have got a little warmer but not much. RoadPro 12-Volt Portable Stove, Black

I work for the Fire Department Emergency Medical Services and always find it very difficult to have lunch since we are not given a lunch break. So, now I can just heat up my food while working and have a nice hot home made meal as soon as I have a chance instead of waiting for take out fast food. Trust me that now in this difficult times 911 is very busy and sometimes we dont even make it to a fast food restaurant. So its also a very smart way to save money for those of us working on the road.

It really gets old eating fast food while out on the road.I'm a trucker and thats all they have in most travel centers.On Christmas my girlfriend got me this,and its the best gift I could have gotten.This is a tackle box stove, and its mainly a food warmer.This will get pretty hot also,and after plugged in for only 10 minutes the bottom plate has plenty of heat.I can pull into a rest area,throw some hot pockets or burritos in it.Then head down the road and then pull over and have lunch in about an hour.This stove saves me a whole lot of money as well,as i really don't have a need to eat out when I'm on the road.In the morning i can put some sausage biscuits in it and in 30 min. there piping hot.As for dinner i can warm up leftover pizza,lasagna,soups, or pretty much any frozen food and it comes out great.If theres any negative thing to this stove,I'm not sure what it would be.Its prefect for a someone running solo or a team.So if you want to eat healthier on the road or just to be able to bring some real good food with you,this would be the item to have.

UPDATE 4/11- I need to to let people know i am still enjoying my stove.I'm able to pull over put my food in my stove,and about an hour later its done.I was getting burned out on hotpockets,so found other great things to cook.miniature pizzas for 45 min.(butches pizza) work great in this,you might need to trim it though.Chicken wings for 60 min.(walgreens premade)work great in this too,and a nice treat for me.campbells chucky soups for 60-90 min. using loaf pans lined with foil,our great to have as well.I like the clam chowder & chicken gumbo sausage soups.BBQ sandwiches work great in this too,i buy lloyds premade pork for 45 min.,and a package of buns and i'm set for the week.Mozzarella sticks & cheddar poppers for 45 min.our a nice treat as well.This stove really saves me a whole lot of money and being a long distance trucker,it gives me a chance to have something decent when i'm gone.

I bought this for my husband for christmas, He was'nt sure about it at first, but now he loves it. he works outside and is tired of sandwiches and fast food now he can take left overs or heat different soups. he said in 20-25 min it heats up to 300 degrees and his food is hot! thiss product is well worth the money.

Before this month, I never would have thought of a use for this portable oven. But for my honey's birthday, we decided to do a yoga morning in at Malibu Bluffs Park, and provide breakfast afterwards. We made a bunch of breakfast burritos in whole wheat tortillas, packed the hot food, wrapped in aluminum foil, tightly into a disposable meat loaf pan inserted in the device and headed out by car. We had the oven plugged in for the 30 minute drive from Santa Monica to Malibu, unplugged (of course) for the 1 1/2 hours of yoga, and returned to the car for 20 minutes to heat up the still warm food.



What a hit! We had the Full American Breakfast rather than the Continental we originally planned for. This is a great invention - I can see using this on road trips!



We were inspired by seeing Alton Brown use either this or a similar device on Food Network's 'Dining on Asphalt' series, where he cooked a meatloaf from start to finish in one of these while it was strapped to his motorcycle. Genius!



We're going to try this for 'volvo paninis' soon.

I ordered this along with the thermos water heater...thermos didn't really work....but this little guy does the trick!! I love this little lunch box....I have heated chili ravioli's soup....it serves it's purpose very well....

I just got this today.



Pro's

Great price. Seems comparable to the Max Burton or Koolatron for a few dollars less. I don't know if there any substantive differences or if they are only cosmetic.



I wrapped some leftover ham slices and some drained asparagus from a can in foil and packed it for a 30 minute ride from home to an activity in a neighboring community. Turned on the car and then plugged it in to the accessory power jack for the duration of the trip.



Half hour later my food was so hot I could not eat it right away. I got distracted by an activity for 30 minutes after I unplugged it and it was still hot.



I like the cord storage and the light to confirm it is getting power past the built in fuse.

This will pay for itself very quickly compared to the temptation of fast food.



I like to carry my food for health reasons, but sometimes I like a hot meal and a microwave is not always available.

All too often the lure of hot food outweighs my will power to eat healthy. I am hoping this is a remedy.



Someone else said the bottom gets hot. Well, inside, yes, but outside there was no area that was too warm to touch or handle.



Con:

When I unplugged the power cord, the cord was quite warm, maybe even hot where it plugged in to the accessory power jack.

I am not sure how long the door on the cord storage compartment will last.



Not a "Con" but worth noting:

There was moisture in the asparagus which steamed up the compartment. Even though the entire meal was wrapped in foil, the moisture condensed at the bottom of the unit was asparagus flavored water. You will want to keep a rag or towel handy to wipe the inside right away after using. - 12 Volt - 12v - Automotive - 12 Vdc Mobile Appliances'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


12 Vdc Mobile Appliances - 12 volt, automotive 12 volt 12 Vdc Mobile Appliances - 12 volt, automotive