Friday 15 October 2010

Parker Safety Razor - wet shaving, shaving


Full disclaimer: the blood is my own fault. I'm a straight-razor novice. Given time, I'm sure, I would be an expert.



This is a decent, entry level straight razor. If you're given to epileptic fits, seizures, constant tremors in your limbs, or are generally a royal klutz, please steer clear of this product. If the above descriptors do not apply, then read on.



The handle affords a nice grip, the blade holder swings a full 180 degrees to choose the angle most suited to your own style, and the best part ... the angle holds! The last thing one needs to worry about is having the blade arm swing wildly as one prepares to maul one's face.



I had numerous cuts and nicks on the first attempt. The second attempt resulted in a smaller blood loss, but I did see red.

The key is to shave right after a decent shower. Lather, lather, lather. I cannot overstress the importance of lathering up. Even after you've covered the visage under a nice, thick coat of lather, periodically touch it up with the brush dipped in warm water (foam will cool off rapidly on your face).

Plan your shave. This is one morning activity that definitely requires alertness. Have your morning coffee/tea if you're so inclined. Do NOT drink those fluids if they give you the shakes! Plan your attack. Identify the areas you will work on first. Have the dehumidifying fan on, or wait for the after-shower mist to clear. Alert your family members not to unleash any practical jokes right about now.

Start with small, even strokes of the blade. I recommend working on smooth, flat areas like the cheeks and mustache. I bought this razor to use in conjunction with he Parker 22R (http://amzn.com/B0017QSZY4). A wise move indeed. It will be weeks before I attempt the neck and chin with the straight razor.

A very important point to consider is this - what will be the angle of incidence of the blade on face? Simply put, how much will you incline the blade when it meets the skin? Too flat (almost parallel to the face) and you're removing foam and slicing air. Too inclined and you're a menace to yourself. You will have to figure this out yourself. It depends on your skin, hair type, heaviness of growth, etc. Most importantly, it depends on your skill. Also, start with a very light touch. Don't press the razor in to your skin, but figure out how light is too light (you're not shaving at all) and then increase the pressure very judiciously.



Once you get the hang of this wonderful implement, you will have the best shaving experience of your life. The closest thing to the fabled barbershop shave.



Be safe and happy shaving! Parker SR1 Stainless Steel Straight Edge Razor and 5 Shark Super Stainless blades

I know, stupid review title. But what wasn't stupid was my purchase of the Parker SR1 stainless steel razor. After viewing straight edge shaving videos on Youtube (which I recommend), I became fascinated with the thought of trying it myself. When I saw the prices for disposable blades for the straight edge, I saw $ signs.



I think it really has become criminal what companies like Schick and Gillette are charging for disposable blades. They've also become completely carried away with creating blades with as many as five razors! Apparently you also need a battery for some, why, I have no idea. I used to use Atra Plus double blades with some sort of moisturizing strip. I even bought generic Rite Aid brands which were much cheaper but they were still about $1 per blade. I also typically got only a week out of a razor because of all the shaving cream and stubble that got caught between the blades. Trying to shave Monday after skipping the weekend usually meant changing the blade or trying to scrape all that gunk out of there. Yes, it's what I and most Americans have been raised on and it's definitely easier than a straight edge.



I originally purchased 100 Derby brand blades ($8.49), the plastic shaving factory razor, and a vile of styptic powder (you'll need this) all for about $22. That's 100 blades which last about 5-7 days depending on how thick your beard is. You can do the math but you don't need to be Einstein to know you are saving an unbelievable amount of money on razor blades. The problem with the plastic Shaving Factory razor I bought is that it's simply cheaply made. Eventually the round hinge will wear down and your razor will swing freely. The Parker is all metal, it holds the blade much more tightly and you'll discover there's a little rust on both razors when you change blades. The Parker is much easier to clean with a little toilet paper and water. I personally believe that the Parker for some reason, maybe due to its sturdiness, causes much fewer nicks and cuts. All in all, it's a great well made, professional straight razor.



This is a longer review than I intended but I might as well give you the heads up on shaving with a straight razor. The good news first, you CAN learn to shave with a straight razor and nick yourself very infrequently, like anything else it takes practice. For example, I haven't had a single nick in 2 or 3 weeks of daily shaving. I use regular shaving cream, maybe a brush is better but Edge gel with Aloe Vera is fine for me. I can get a good close shave in about 5 or 6 minutes. Then again I've been doing this for about 6 months and perfecting my technique.



Now for the bad news, in the beginning, you will cut yourself. One time I cut myself bad enough to consider tossing the blades and razor asking myself "I can easily afford regular disposable razors, why am I putting myself through this?" You will come to a point where you'll wonder if it's worth the hassle and some will go back to disposable Gillette's or maybe an electric razor. That's fine, I'm not an evangelist for straight razors. Then again, if you're careful (practically run the razor horizontal to your skin, remember the angle of attack is about 10 degrees, that's nearly horizontal to your skin), don't rush, keep the skin wet and add shaving cream to areas you want to shave again, go SLOW in the beginning, watch Youtube videos for some pointers. Rinse the razor in cold water. Shave after a shower or after washing your face with hot water. The upper lip was tough until I realized I can push my nose out of the way! Stretch your skin, contort your face to get as much of a horizontal surface as you can. Develop a routine and shave the same way every time.



Well that's about it, sorry about going on so long, this was supposed to be a review about the Parker SR1 and yes, I highly recommend it. Apparently it's what professional barbers who still give shaves use. It's a little odd how the blade fits in the razor but you'll get used to it quickly. Regarding my shaving experiences and advice, I hope it helps. I don't know exactly when it happened, but there was a day when I said, "Hey, I haven't cut myself in 2 or 3 weeks". After I noticed while changing blades I had used about 1/4 or 26 of the 100 blades I figure probably six months. I hope my advice helps and you will learn to master shaving with a straight razor in half the time it took me. Good luck. - Manual Shaving - Shaving - Razor - Wet Shaving'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Parker Safety Razor - wet shaving, shaving manual shaving Parker Safety Razor - wet shaving, shaving