Tuesday 5 October 2010

Media Center - media center, apple


I attached the mini to my HDTV (using mini-DVI to HDMI cable) and an optical digital audio cable. Picture and audio are perfect. It's great.



Let's start with the basics. It's whisper quite, and it uses about as much power as fluorescent light bulb when idle.



I can watch or listen to anything in iTunes using an IR remote (I use a "Logitech Harmony XBox 360" remote) via the built-in Apple Frontrow software or using Apple's magical Remote app for the iPhone (or iPod touch).



Or I can control the mini media center from my laptop across the room using Mac "Screen Sharing" (or VNC on any PC) to watch any video or audio source from the internet (Hulu, Silverlight, Flash, Amazon VOD, Netflix VOD etc.) or use the Apple DVD Player to play VIDEO_TS folders. (Please respect filmmakers and don't pirate movies.) You can watch what ever you want. You name it.



Although it's an option, it really doesn't even need a dedicated keyboard and mouse.



Other non-computer media boxes that are available can only play a fixed set of sources -- e.g. iTunes and YouTube (AppleTV). Netflix or Amazon VOD (Roku) or ripped or downloaded video files (WDTV). Support for anything outside of what those devices do today is just a wishing game or requires a lot of painstaking media format conversion.



The mini as a media center is pretty much obsolescence-proof. So while it may seem a lot more expensive than something like WDTV today, I'll bet I'll still be using the mini media center long after that WDTV has joined the pile at the back of the closet. Apple Mac mini MC238LL/A Desktop

This Apple update of the always compact Mac Mini further lifts the model away from being an accessory. It should also silence even more people that the Mini is heading for its demise. The machine has slowly taken a solid place in Apple's line up.



I already had the last generation, Spring 2009 Mac Mini, but decided to go for yet another. The reason being is I use the Mac Mini connected to my large screen television. This allows me to easily look up information in my living room from the couch, using a wireless bluetooth mouse and keyboard. However, most of all, it takes online streaming to the television screen. Whether I want to stream from a TV network's website, or from Amazon, or anywhere in between, the Mac Mini is not limited to a specific box serving one service, but being a full fledge computer can obviously go anywhere on the Internet for streaming content. I like this. Of course, I also show off vacation images, and whatnot on the Mini connected to the big screen. The uses are really unlimited.



The purpose of my second Mini will be to connect it with a bedroom flat panel, for similar uses. The little guy is a hard worker. This entry level model is even more competent now that Apple has bumped its memory to 2 GB, which for your average work in OS X Snow Leopard is an efficient amount. The processor speed has also been bumped and hard drive size, making the entry level Mac Mini an even better value than before. Wi-Fi and bluetooth are built-in once again.



I find the entry level Mac Mini to again be the best value. The higher offering is a couple hundred more, it does give a faster processor, twice as much memory and twice as much hard drive space. If you think you'll need that, it's not a bad value, but it just seems the low end is always an especially good value, and it gets the job done. I find the inputs on the Mac Mini to be fantastic too. It has two display outputs, mini-DVI and Displayport, 5 USB ports, one firewire 800, and of course ethernet. You can plug a LOT of accessories into the Mac Mini. One such thing is an external hard drive, so if you get the entry level and find the hard drive size limiting, you can always connect external USB or Firewire hard drives for extra storage.



This mini has OS X Snow Leopard pre-installed, so you'll have the brand new operating system installed out of the box. Plus, you get iLife 09, which has the great applications like iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband, iDVD, and iWeb.



Overall, I do not use the Mac Mini at a desk as a traditional computer. I use it has a home theatre PC. Nevertheless, the Mac Mini is enough of a workhorse to certainly use it for office tasks, home photo editing, etc. It's not a slouch by any means. If you have a quality display, the Mac Mini makes a competent computer solution, but don't forget a keyboard and mouse too. I recommend it, and I'm excited to have one connected to both televisions in my home.

This is my second Mac Mini. I bought my first Mac Mini when they were first introduced. I have been using that same Mac mini for about 5 years with no problems. I finally decided to get a new one because more and more of the internet features wouldn't work anymore because I needed software upgrades that didn't fit the specs I had. However, I didn't want to make the same mistake I made the first time and buy it right before a software upgrade. This is the perfect time to buy this Mac Mini. Snow Leopard is pre-installed, and there's roughly about $150 worth of extra memory and speed for the same price as the previous model that was just released about 6 months ago.



One complaint I did have with my old Mac mini was that it was a pain to configure my internet connection. The internet setup for this new model is simply plug and play. Absolutely no configuration is needed if your plugging in an Ethernet cable, whether it's hooked up to a router or not.



I basically only use my Mac Mini for the Internet, downloading music and video for my Ipod, digital picture storage, and occasionally typing and printing a paper. If that's all your going to use it for and your sick of all the viruses and hidden internet files that slow down your computer when you use a PC, then buy this entry level Mac Mini. - Computer - Mac - Apple - Media Center'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Media Center - media center, apple apple Media Center - media center, apple