Monday 4 October 2010

Flooring - flooring stapler, hardwood


I used this stapler to install 350 sq ft of 3/8" hardwood flooring from BellaWood. Had no problems whatsoever. No jams, no misses. I used 1/4" x 1" narrow crown staples although it will accept up to 1 1/4" staples. The shoe makes sure you are perfectly aligned to staple the tongue only at the correct angle. Requires a compressor capable of maintaining 70psi, which even very small compressors should be capable of. Porta-Nailer 461 1-Inch 18-Gauge Narrow (1/4-Inch) Crown Flooring Stapler

I got this stapler yesterday. A couple of drops of lubricant, installed the air hose fitting and hooked up to my compressor. 2 hours later a beautiful floor and not one jam or misfire! This is a super product. Not only does it have the angle head for the flooring, but comes with a staight staple nose too. I used 1 1/4 inch staples, which other staplers of this type do not use. Also came with case and DVD. Great Product!!!

Used this to lay Bellawood 2 1/4" strip, 5/16" thick Brazilian Koa hardwood in about 325 sq/feet.



I'm a do-it your-selfer who'd never done hardwood flooring install before. I couldn't imagine actually doing this job without this tool.



No jams during the project. I had to play with the pressure because at recommended settings it was cracking the lips of my boards. If pressure was too low, the gun would occasionally not shoot a staple. Once I found the correct pressure, it worked like a charm.



Project turned out nice. It would have taken FOREVER without this, the correct tool for the job.

i used it to install 1/2 inch bamboo stranded woven flooring. it worked great once u adjust the pressure to get the right depth to the staple. i'd recommend it for stapling any narrow thickness flooring



ben

I Just finished installing 550 sq. ft. of 3/8" engineered "Peruvian Walnut" flooring from Lumber Liquidators. The Porta-Nailer 461 was the backbone to the job, and I was extreamly happy with the finnished product and the ease of installation with this stapler. I used 1 1/4" galvanized staples purchased from Lowes. You will not be sorry with your decision to buy this {The right Tool for the Job}.

Installed 760 square feet of BR-111 engineered wood, worked flawlessly. Also includes a case. Will accept up to 1-1/4" staples which many flooring staplers in this class do not; BR-111 for example, specifies the use of 1-1/4" staples. Very nice tool.

Knowing that I had a flooring job that was going to take place over multiple weekends, It made more sense cost-wise to just outright by a flooring stapler. After a little online research, I chose the 461 for a couple of reasons. One, was the fact that it could easily be converted to a standard stapler (something few models do). Also, the price point was reasonable.



After finishing the first 200 sq ft. of the project this weekend, I can honestly say that the 461 worked like a champ. After dialing the pressure into 70 PSI, the 461 sailed through the Bruce Engineered hardwood flooring in my kids bedroom. I never had one dry fire, twisted staple, blowout or any other issues whatsoever.



Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with the nailer. My one complaint may be the lousy directions (which don't even specify how to convert the nailer from standard configuration to floor stapler). Aside from that, I'm very happy with its performance.

All in all, I'm happy with the Porta-Nailer 461. I just finished 550 square feet of Bamboo flooring for which I used 3000 staples. I didn't have a single staple jam even when I mistakenly put one staple right on top of another.

One of the appealing features of the 461 is that it takes a 1.25 inch staple. Most 18 gauge staplers won't take anything longer than an inch. The extra length is important for 1/2 inch flooring. (The printed material that came with the stapler only talked about using one inch staples, but the sticker on the stapler itself said that it takes up to 1 1/4 inch staples.)

The instructions were a little weak in other areas also. Though they are very thorough in describing the safety features and how to use the stapler safely, they didn't explain how to install the flooring foot. However, it only took me about a minute to figure it out and get it together. The instructions describing how to load the staples apparently described a different, perhaps older, model. But it was easy enough to figure out how to load the staples, even though the system is a bit different from the average stapler.

The flooring foot is a bit small, so it takes a little concentration to make sure it is seated correctly on the tongue of the board. That may slow down the work a bit at first until you get a good feel for the process. (I'm not sure the foot of any other 18 gauge stapler is any better.)

Also, the stapler sometimes bent the top of the staple over. Never really figured out why that was happening. It may have been a result of me not having the stapler perfectly seated on the tongue (see the note above about the small flooring foot.) Or it may have been the result of quality of the staples. Or it may have had something to do with the hardness of the boards and grain patterns in the boards. Because I was nailing 1/2 solid hardwood, I suspect any stapler might have trouble with an 18 gauge staple. That is a pretty light gauge to go through through a hard wood.



It wasn't a huge issue. For those staples, I just had to have a nail set handy to tap the staple top down into the tongue so the next board would fit tight. I can imagine, however, that a flooring contractor might have been a bit peeved at having to take the time to do that.

My review may sound a bit negative, but I really was satisfied with the machine. The stapler itself seems to be solid and well built. And it got the job done without damaging the wood. I can recommend the tool. - Stapler - Construction Staplers - Flooring Stapler - Hardwood'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Flooring - flooring stapler, hardwood hardwood Flooring - flooring stapler, hardwood