Saturday 23 October 2010

Cordless Hedge Trimmer - black and decker, 2009 amazon frustration-fre


The hedge trimmer works superbly and it is so light you don't even get tired cutting 300 feet of a six foot hedge. The major downside is the battery. I read many reviews of this product that pointed out problems with battery function and so I was extra careful following the instructions and even keeping it in the house rather than the garage so it wouldn't catch a cold. After ten charges it died anyway. Good product but let's get a better battery! If you don't mind paying about $40 bucks a year to replace the battery in return for a well functioning, convenient, light trimmer, I give it a five. Black & Decker NHT518 18-Volt 22-Inch Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmer

This is my first powered hedge trimmer so I have nothing to compare it to, but I was surprised by how well this battery powered hedge trimmer did the job on it's first use. It trimmed about 30 large bushes on one battery charge and did it almost effortlessly. The blades work well, the product is light-weight and the vibration is minimal. I must admit, it was a gift...I would not have bought it, but after using it I am impressed and would recommend it for any weekend landscaper. One more extra battery is all I would recommend. Good product from Black & Decker!

This trimmer is awesome. I have a 200' long area of juniper that must be trimmed twice yearly. This trimmer will go through almost the entire 200' edge without changing batteries. The trimmer is very light and sharp - trims as well as my gas trimmers and is a heck of a lot easier to handle. I also have the Black & Decker 18V string trimmer and leaf blower. The leaf blower eats batteries; the string trimmer is not too bad. But this hedge trimmer goes forever on a single charge.

Excellent product. The battery charge lasts plenty long to do several bushes. Cuts well. Not having a cord to deal with is wonderful. Just pick it off the shelf, cut, and put back on the shelf. I recommend buying the better charger and not using the basic charger that comes with the unit. The better one allows you to leave the battery in the charger without overcharging and hence damaging it.

This is a great hedge trimmer made by Black and Decker. The trimmer is quiet and because it is electric, it starts and stops instantly. The handle is sort of thick so squeezing the trigger and cutting for more than 5 minutes at a time might make your hand cramp (that's what happens to me and I am 200 pounds). It states it can cut branches 3/4 inch, and it is true. With enough tenacity, you can cut up to 1 inch branches. When branches are too thick and get cut in the trimmer, it automatically shuts off. You then have to unjam it to restart it.



Battery life is somewhat decent. I got about 30 minutes of use out of one battery with a few minutes break in-between. Highly suggested to have a spare battery charged and ready to go while you are using this. There is no option to connect a cord to it, only battery.



The batteries are interchangeable with other 18 volt B&D tools, which is a huge plus. I have the complete set of blower, weed whacker and this trimmer. If you need a complete set, check out the Lawn Care set. That comes with a 3 battery charger (3 batteries) and hanging kit to organize the tools.



The charger that is supplied with it is a "dummy" charger. It does not know when the battery is full and you have to keep an eye on how long you have had it plugged in. Recommendations are to not have it charged for more than 8 hours. I normally charge my battery in the morning and then use it in the afternoon.



All in all, this is a great trimmer. It is silent and powerful. You can get a lot of work done without worrying about disturbing your neighbors because it makes very little sound.



I highly recommend this tool.

I'm extremely glad I purchased this cordless hedge trimmer. For years I used an electric trimmer with cord until it finally wore out. I replaced it with a larger, longer electric trimmer. I think because the blade was longer, I kept cutting the electrical cord. How discouraging and dangerous, not to mention how much that slowed the yard work down. So, even tho I owned the new electric trimmer less than a year, I decided to pony up and spend the money to purchase a cordless trimmer.



I debated whether to get the Worx brand but went with the Black & Decker because of better reviews. Have used this trimmer for two months now and love the freedom it provides!!! No more lugging out the 75 foot extension cord and hauling it all around the front and back yard, plugging it in here, there & everywhere. Trimming trees & hedges is SO much less of a chore now that I've gone cordless. I have about 10 smaller pine trees, numerous low shrubs, several long rows of hedges and a few other assorted plants in the yard that I like to keep trimmed. Because I can whip this baby out whenever the urge hits to shape things up, I might do a few shrubs one day, and maybe the hedges the following week and nothing gets overgrown or out of control. Plenty of power to get the job done and because it's cordless, it is much easier, and safer (!) to maneuver up, down and all around any of the greenery.



I would like to add that I'm a woman in my early 50s & slightly over 5 feet tall, and find this tool to be the perfect size. It isn't too heavy, bulky or cumbersome. Overall, this is one of the smarter purchases I've made.

This trimmer does a good job at cutting through brush and sculpting bushes but it has a serious flaw. The safety that must be engaged first is extremely sensitive. With gloves on, the safety takes excessive force from the thumb and hand to allow the trigger to operate. After that, the safety and trigger combination routinely disengage for me without using a very strong grip. This will tire your hand and forearm quickly. Gloves make gripping the safety and trigger even more difficult.



The battery life for this model is good. This unit uses the same battery as the string trimmer. I can get about one use out of the string trimmer but the same batter in the hedger keeps going and going.



The Good: Trimmer is sharp and cuts right through

The Bad: Trigger/safety combination is too difficult to operate - 2009 Amazon Frustration-fre - Black And Decker - Cordless Trimmer - Cordless Lawn Tools'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cordless Hedge Trimmer - black and decker, 2009 amazon frustration-fre cordless trimmer Cordless Hedge Trimmer - black and decker, 2009 amazon frustration-fre