Friday 30 July 2010

Universal Adapter - adapter, germany


I have a set of cheap non-grounded plug adapters, but needed a grounded one for a computer with a three-pronged plug. If you look at [...] you'll see that there are two types of grounded plugs in use in Europe, type E and type F. The prongs are the same size and shape, but the grounding is different. Type E is grounded via a bump in the outlet that inserts into a recessed part of the plug (we encountered this type in Belgium). Type F doesn't have the bump, but is grounded by means of metal clips on the sides of the outlets (we saw these in the Netherlands). This plug adapter works with BOTH types, so no need to fuss with multiple adapters for different parts of mainland Europe. (As others have noted, the UK uses completely different outlets.) Plus it is very snug-fitting and will not accidentally fall out due to the weight of whatever it is you have plugged into it. VP 11B - Grounded Europe Adapter - USA to Europe Heavy Duty Adaptor Plug German Schuko

They worked perfectly throughout France. Got two coupled with the Monster portable power strips and they were perfect for airports and hotels. They seemed very sold. Make sure you get these round type for France because ALL of the outlets seemed to be these round, recessed types so the generic square adapters will not work well. Remember to make sure your stuff will work at 220, because these don't convert voltage. Most electronics will.

I recommend this round adapter for US 3-prong as well as 2-prong plugs. Why? Because it has a nice snug fit on both sides. This makes it much more stable in the Euro/Schuko socket unlike the flat 2-prong ones that in my experience tend to have a loose connection or even fall out of the socket - esp. if yours is a heavy cable or if it has one of those AD/DC converters at the plug end pulling down on the adapter. Plus, this adapter has a nice lip which makes it easier to pull out of the socket. Good quality for the price. I paid mine $2.50/piece shipped -- make sure you don't overpay as there are many merchants selling at very different prices, some as high as $10/piece with shipping included.



Lastly, keep in mind, the schuko socket fits most European countries but not all - most notably UK, and Italy which have their own plugs.

I HIGHLY recommend this adapter for laptops or any other U.S.-style three-prong plugs that you may need to use in countries with European-style plugs. The adapter has a snug fit in the outlets, which makes it an excellent design compared to other similar products. I purchased one for myself and will order a second one for my husband (he has a "comparable" adapter which fits loosely in the outlet, so whenever you accidentally wiggle the plug or cord, it disconnects the power - awful!). The lip on the adapter makes it easier to remove the plug from the socket. Excellent product, even more so when considering the price.

This adapter worked well in Paris for charging and using two-prong and three-prong American electronics. If you're planning to do the same, make sure your devices' chargers or power blocks read "100-240V" and "50-60 Hz."

This adapter also fit most electrical outlets that we encountered in Italy. (Note, however, that Italian outlets have a different location for the ground, so you'll need an Italian plug adapter if you need to have your device be grounded.)

Bought this last minute and took it to France with me. The fit for U.S 3 and 2 prongs are great, no complaints about that. It also fits perfectly on the other side. Definitely recommend a circle adapter, since that's all I saw in France. I used it for my curling iron, hair dryer, and laptop charger (Both Mac and PC). No problem. Easy to carry, since it's so small. The only thing you do have to remember is that it's a power adapter, not a power converter. When I turned my hair dryer on low, it felt like it was on high times 2. The only way I made it work, was pressing the cool button every three seconds. Remember that the voltage is higher in Europe. Same thing happen to my curling iron, which I set on 12 in France, when it's usually set on 30. Nothing bad happened to my laptop, so don't worry about it exploding in your face. Other than that, I will definitely bring it with me again when I visit Europe.

With something so simple and cheap you sort of expect it to be "the wrong thing"; at least I did when we were planning our trip to Greece with friends.



These ended up being *perfect*. Charging iPad's, iPod's, using hair straighteners and blow dryers, powering laptops and radios... these worked for everything. I actually ended up buying two and sure enough one of the couples we went with needed one the whole trip so I just gave the extra one to them.



These apparently work through all of Europe; given that they worked no problem in all of Greece (Athens, Santorini, Delphi, Nafplio) I imagine you should be good to go with a couple of these anywhere in Europe as advertised.

I bought two of these to bring with me on a 6-month study abroad excursion to Germany. They're just what i needed: a simple plug converter for my multi-voltage electronics. A nice feature that may or may not be standard on such devices is the optional ground on the non-American side - I recently took a jaunt to Prague, where, unlike in Germany, the outlets are grounded. This converter still worked.



Obviously if you need something to change the voltage this will not do the trick, but for modern multivoltage phone/computer/camera chargers (and one dual voltage hair straightener) these are perfect.

I bought this before my study abroad to South Korea, and I've been using it for about a week with my Macbook Pro. It's a little difficult to find this kind of thing here in Korea (at least for me), so I'm glad I bought it before coming. Note that things like laptop computers often have voltage converts (like my Macbook and camera's battery charger) and only need to fit in the plug.



If you have other appliances without this feature (alarm clocks, hair irons, etc.) for Korea (where there is higher voltage than in America), you need a converter. - Plug - Travel Adapter - Adapter - Germany'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Universal Adapter - adapter, germany travel adapter Universal Adapter - adapter, germany