Wednesday 14 July 2010

Sharpening


The Worksharp 2000 is a very good tool; easy to use and flexible in its use. However, the knife sharpener is worthless. It does sharpen knives, but the small sandpaper belts are very quickly used up. I sharpened 9 knives and a cleaver and that was it. The sandpaper belts were worn out. The belts are unique to this tool; thus, one cannot use another kind of belt.



The bad part is the knives ended up very sharp. So it sharpens the knives well enough, but one hates to replace the belts each time 10 or so knives are sharpened. The honing belt is the most important because it will be used the most. After the knives are sharpened the first time the course belt does not have to be used again (or at least for awhile), but the honing belt (the finest grit) has to be used every time; thus, that belt has to be replaced each time 10 or so knives are sharpened. Not good.



Also, replacing the belts isn't as easy as it looks. And, each belt had to be re-tensioned so it would run correctly. Kind of a pain.



I cannot recommend this product, but I can recommend the Worksharp 2000 as it works very well.



AD2 Work Sharp WSSA0002009 Knife Sharpening System

This machine works as advertised, which is saying a lot in this day and time. The instructions were a little slack, or maybe it was just my preconceived idea that there would've been a platter without the openings for the solid abrasive disks. Anyway, it took me a little bit of scratching my head and wondering if they'd packed two slotted platters by mistake.



That being said, I sharpened all 8 of my chisels and a planer iron in about an hour. It wouldn't have taken that long if a few of the chisels weren't in such bad shape.



Whoever came up with the idea of using a 3/8" ratchet extension to center the disks had a very good idea. I didn't even try to use the method recommended in the manual. For anyone looking for a great value for their money for a sharpening system, this is a great choice. I'm looking forward to trying the knife sharpener attachment I received today.

I don't know how to the one reviewer got such bad results with his work sharp knife sharpener, but I have had A++++ results with mine. I have sharpened at least 40+ knives on one set of 3 belts and used them for about a year now. I sharpen everything from 2 ft machetes to pairing knives and stainless to carbon steel.



What I have found (to extend the sanding belts life) is , if a blade is REALLY dull, ie a stainless steel machete or lawn mower blades, I grind it a bit on the work sharp 2000 discs and them start with the knife sharpening belt attachments. YMMV



Every knife I own now is hair shaving sharp. Only draw back, is that thick survival type knives like Ka-Bars and such can be hard to get into the groove and get at the right angle, but it still works.



If you have dull knives this is it!!!!

Mower blades rusted beyond belief. I could write on the edge that was supposed to cut! Now, after a few minutes with the 2000 and it is better than new. I added the knife sharpener and now my wife keeps calling her knives killer sharp. Now I won't go to sleep before she does!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Sharpening Sharpening Sharpening