Friday 18 June 2010

Bullet Pen - geocaching, pens


While you can get much better-writing pens at this price point [...], but not pens that will write in the rain on wet paper, upside down, in freezing temperatures, and through grease/blood/dirt. As a Geocacher, I've needed to do all four (fortunately, not all at the same time), and this pen works flawlessly. The fact that it comes in a convenient fits-in-your-pocket-and-stays-closed package makes it even better.



Comparing this to a high-end writing pen is pointless. If you're going to be writing a letter on a pad at a desk, then get a good writing pen. If you're going to be writing in adverse conditions or just need a pen that will always be in your pocket, then get this one. You won't regret it. Fisher Space Pen, X-Mark Bullet Space Pen, Matte Black (SM400BWCBCL)

I wanted 4 things: TOUGH, RELIABLE, CONVENIENT and MODESTLY PRICED...This pen has fulfilled everything I needed, and it looks good too.



The first thing I did was freeze it and then submerge it in a bucket of water to see if it wrote. The pen worked flawlessly. Granted, this "feature set" may not be a huge value-add for most, but if you're the type that's constantly driving off roads and bridges into frozen streams and rivers (who still needs to jot a couple of thoughts down before attempting to escape), this pen is worth consideration. [TOUGH / RELIABLE - Check]



I hate to carry anything in my front pockets. That said, this pen is small enough that I find myself putting in my front pocket most days just to keep it with me. I can also carry it inside a small notebook or laptop bag and it doesn't get in the way. [CONVENIENT - Check]



I feel the price for the pen was more than reasonable for its performance. [MODESTLY PRICED - Check]



Bottom Line - I really like the pen. Yes, it does write like a ballpoint, but a $200 pen doesn't get ink onto paper 10X's better than this pen...and good luck with your Mont Blanc upside-down at the bottom of an icy creek!



Final Thought - I purchased the one with the clip and I'm glad I did. Without the clip, the pen will be constantly rolling off the table.

Love it. I like to keep a pen handy but the easiest place is in my pants pocket. I have had pens break and leak in my pocket so I was looking for a better option. The X-Mark fits in the pocket nicely and stays closed until I need it. I have now purchased 3 of them in case I misplace one.

While this pen writes unflinching well in every condition its major flaw lies in the cap and black coating. I used this pen happily for about 2 months until I was unable pull the cap back off the end after using the pen. I tried many tactics to remove the cap and return it to the closed position but it fused to the coating of the wrong end of my pen and forever ruined my favorite writing utensil. I still love the way it writes but it use it in my wallet and cannot afford to have it always uncapped. I will likely purchase a chrome plated version to avoid this in the future. BEWARE OF THE STICKY CAP.

I've been using the Fischer Space Pens for years and they're fantastic. They really do write on almost anything, last long, and the bullet pens are a very convenient size. Capped they fit well in a pocket, and opened up they've got a comfortable length for writing. The build quality on this flat ended pen doesn't feel quite up to the standard bullets, but for a few dollars cheaper they make a great second pen. Go for one of the round ended bullets if you're a first time buyer as the design feels more mature. I rate this 4 stars, but the round bullets 5 stars.

This is my second space pen. I previously owned the regular bullet and was pleased with it until it was misplaced. I replaced it with this x-mark which arrived today. The good news is that, in almost every way, it's identical to the bullet. It writes the same, and is roughly the same length when closed. The cap looks a little different in that it's flat rather than pointed like the bullet. When the pen is open and the cap posted on the rear of the pen, the overall length is s bit shorter than the bullet...perhaps 1/2" or a little more. I actually prefer the length. I would give the normal bullet 4 stars(love the features of the pen, but not a huge fan of how it actually writes). This one would get the same except for one fatal flaw. When the pen is closed(cap on, covering the tip), the o-ring does not provide enough friction to keep the cap on securely. When holding the pen by the clip(as if it were clipped to my shirt or a notebook), a less-than vigorous shake(simulated running, perhaps) will easily dislodge the pen from the cap, leaving the clip still attached and the pen wherever it lands. Hopefully I'll notice when this happens...if not then bye-bye pen. For me the bombproofness of these space pens are their biggest value. Having to be careful where I clip this pen and/or pay attention to make sure it's still there really ruins it for me.



I will be keeping this pen, as at this price it's not worth it to return, but my next one will be another non-x-mark bullet.

Even though ballpoint pens are the most satisfying pens to use, for a long time, I shied away from them, because after a short time, their ink becomes gloopy. The Fisher Space Pen never becomes gloopy, always writes--wet, upside down, through grease, you name it--and always writes nicely. Add to this that it's compact and incredibly durable, as well as perfectly balanced; moreover, it simply feels good to write with. This is the best ballpoint pen out there at any price.

I've used this pen for 3 months and have no complaints. It is the black-matte with a clip-cap feature. It writes very well and the ink dries quickly. It fits well in my hand when writing. The cap seals the pen closed well; you have to pull with hard pressure to pull it off inadvertently. I keep the pen in my pants pocket while walking 1-2 miles/day x 3 months -- the cap has all remained securely on the pen and my pants have NOT been damaged by the pen. The clip has always stayed securely on the pen cap. I would recommend this to others. - Bullet Pen - Pens - Geocaching - Space Pen'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Bullet Pen - geocaching, pens geocaching Bullet Pen - geocaching, pens