Saturday 8 May 2010

Spotting Scope - travel tripod, mini tripod


This little thing can handle a lot of weight for being so small. It will hold a Canon EOS 5D with 24-105 f/4L IS lens and 430EX flash steadily -- in either vertical or horizontal orientation! (You have to mount the camera "sideways" on the base to do vertical shots.) This is a good 3 or 4 pounds of gear, and this much weight absolutely destroys my DSLR-sized Gorillapod. It is no problem for the little Slik, however. Due to weight distribution, this tripod probably will not work for much longer lenses, although if the lens is big enough to have a tripod mount, then it might work. I have been able to use it with my 70-200 f/4L IS both vertically and horizontally with a little care to set the legs at the right angles to provide support where it needs to be.



One other note: I have the "II" version of this tripod (the current version that Amazon sells is "V"), which I purchased used in 2002. It is still going strong! The "V" version looks just the same as mine, based on the Amazon photos. SLIK MINI PRO V - Tripod - table-top

The Slik Mini Pro Table-Top Tripod is all I expected and more. I can put it anywhere on any surface and the camera remains stable. Excellent for using the movie option my Canon LS590. This is the third Slik product I own and would never think of buying any other brand of tripod.

I was on the fence about getting an SLR Gorillapod or this. Based on reviews for gorillapods, I was concerned that the weight or my camera was too much for it. This mini is great for trips out that you're not certain you'll need a tripod or will have lots of nearby "stands" (ie. rocks, tables, chairs).

A quick release would be nice, but that can be added myself.

I bought this for my Rebel Xsi camera. It easily holds the camera, 100mm macro lens, and 580EX flash. If more stability is needed it has a suction cup on the center post. Of course you must have a smooth surface for it to adhere to, but I haven't had the need for it so far. I would have given five stars for construction but the pivoting points are made out of plastic instead of metal. But I'm sure the plastic will hold up for many years equally well. Highly recommended.

I use this for my Celestron C90 spotting scope at the target range. It works well for that purpose. I use a 25mm eyepiece giving me 40X and it is fine. The C90 definately is a load for this tripod and there is some vibration. I don't use it for my camera shots but it might be a bit light for a large lens on a SLR. Again I don't use it for that purpose so I will leave it at that.



I picked this up for $22.00 with a special no shipping cost and for that price it is a screaming deal.

Bought this to hold a Kowa 20-60x 77mm sighting scope. The scope is heavy and moderately expensive, so I wanted a good tripod for it. This fits the bill perfectly for bench sighting my targets. Would trust my Canon EOS 40 with 70-300mm lens with it also. Well constructed, great value for the money. Not a flimsy tripod. Don't think you will be disappointed.

This well built little tripod fits in my new Caselogic SLRC-202 Medium SLR Camera Bag (Black). It is sturdy enough to hold my Sony A55 with the SAL18250 lens, together which weigh about 2 pounds. I find I have to have one leg in line with the lens though to keep it from tipping over. No big deal, I've been doing that with a much smaller tripod which I recently gave to my son. The center suction cup is actually useful when putting the tripod on a flat smooth surface like a counter top or a car hood.



Update Nov 17, 2010

I just returned from two weeks in Frace where I took 1,200 photos or so. This little tripod came in handy a couple of times. However I wish it had a ball head. There were a few times where I had to shift the position of the camera on the mount by loosening the screw, turning the camera, and re-tightening the screw. Otherwise I was unable to obtain the correct angle between the camera and subject. My last tripod was a ball head and I didn't realize the restriction I would have without it on this model.

I bought this tripod for my DSLR camera. I was a little skeptical about the sturdiness because of the low price. Decided to try it based on the reviews of others. I'm glad I did. It holds my Sony easily even with a 300mm zoom lens. HINT: when using the zoom lens, I position the lens directly over the leg for better stability. It's easy to set up and stores easily in my camera bag.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a quick release. But that's a minor issue for me.

Appreciated the other reviews on this mini tri-pod before I selected the Slick Mini Pro V. It is exactly what I was looking for to use with my Canon 14mp compact camera when I shoot HD video. I want to avoid camera shake caused by me just holding the camera in my hands. Also great for those roadside scenery shots from the hood or trunk of your car. Perfect for close-ups of flowers and nature. Very sturdy. I'm going to order one for my daughter----the PROFESSIONAL photographer----as a surprise gift! - Travel Tripod - Compact - Tripod - Mini Tripod'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Spotting Scope - travel tripod, mini tripod mini tripod Spotting Scope - travel tripod, mini tripod