Sunday 14 March 2010

Cook S Illustrated - grater, cheese grater


I loooove cheese, so I need a grater that can handle a pound or two with ease. The hand graters may take up less space, but take a lot more energy to use and are not versatile. Plus the box grater's flat sides make for much better grating surfaces than the curved hand graters usually have.



Like all OXO good grips products, this grater has comfortable handles, and a practicle, but very attractive design. The steel is sturdy, stain and scratch resistant. No problems sticking this in the dishwasher, though you should take off the removable rubber rim on the bottom of the grater first and make sure all pieces are dry before reassembling and storing.



I didn't think I would like or use the plastic container, but again, OXO's talent for design wins out. The container is a good size for most meals serving 2-5 people, and just slap on some saran wrap to store for in the fridge for later. I haven't tried anything but cheese yet, however the grater seems quite sharp enough to handle most gratables. I like the slimmish form of the grater and it is the right size for ease of grating and storage. OXO Good Grips Box Grater

I purchased this based on a review by Cooks Magazine. It is everything I need in a grater. First off, it grates very well. Beyond that it has some excellent design features. The handle is very comfortable to grip and the bottom ring keeps it secure on the counter top. It is very easy to clean as your hand with a sponge fits easily inside. The cup has a lid and is a handy addition for grating and then storing. The best thing is that the cup with its lid fits up inside the grater for storage. A real plus for people with limited space like me. This is my 3rd or 4th grater purchase and don't think I will need another one for a very long time.

I love this grater. It's well made, and the attachable container is great for measuring and storing. I bought this one after the other Oxo grater I bought (white plastic, fold-up model) broke. This one is much better, and it holds up well in the dishwasher.

I like OXO products generally, from ok to nice to look at, usually have a solid feel and very nice ergonimically. This grater makes no improvements in ergonomics outside of the plastic handle vs. some uncomfortable metal handles. The catch-cup is nice. It cuts just ok, not amazing as some reviews stated. My big complaint is that while it looks a bit nicer than my old chefmate (very cheap grater), it cuts the same and it actually feels flimsier (The steel body has some bend while grating) even my chefmate didn't do that. Wish I had chosen a different upgrade, the search continues for a better grater, $15 down the road...

Being Vegan I should have read the reviews more carefully. It might grate cheese perfectly but it isn't sharp enough to grate veggies well. Carrots? Forget it! And the catch box...what a joke! Nothing falls in the box unless you tip the grater while you grate and if you do that the box comes off and you have veggies all over the place.

Positives: grates well; face of grater is wider than usual; collection container fits well both in use and when stored in grater and has sealing lid.



Negative: some of the food being grated (e.g. cheese) falls down the front of the grater, therefore outside of the collection container, necessitating use on cutting board or plate.

At first I was a little skeptical because this grater is smaller than the traditional standing grater, but in reality you don't actually use that much surface area of a grater's face, and the compact size makes it easier to handle and store. I find a lot of OXO products to be best-of-breed (you'll have to pry my OXO peeler out of my cold dead hands!) and I'm adding this one to the list.

It was time to replace an ancient flat grater - read the reviews and determined this was the best. It's sharp and fits in a drawer. The bonus was the little rectangle box with measurements on the side and a cover. Just right when a recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of grated cheese. Cheese that is freshly grated is so, so much better than what comes out of bag - that icky coating may keep the strands from sticking together, but it definitely affects the texture and taste.

I purchased this product because it was recommended by America's Test Kitchen, a public television show produced by Cook's Illustrated magazine.



It's easy to hold, easy to use, easy to clean, and easy to store. What more could I ask for? It's hard to beat OXO Good Grips products, and I wish I owned everything they make!



The clear storage container (with non-slip ring, lid, and measurement markings) is a super feature. - Kitchen Gadgets - Cheese Grater - Oxo Grater - Grater'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cook S Illustrated - grater, cheese grater grater Cook S Illustrated - grater, cheese grater