Sunday 14 February 2010

Wireless Door Chimes - cordless doorbell, doorbell


The unit is loud enough to be heard at least a room away and the flashing light is a nice touch. It set up and worked O.K. It states on the package the 100 foot range will be diminished by walls. It failed to send a signal 35 feet to the rear of our house. Seems to be effective for about 25 feet when transmitting through exterior and interior walls. Honeywell RCWL105A1003/N Plug-in Wireless Door Chime and Push Button

I bought 2 of these having read the reviews on Amazon for this door bell & other makes & chose this unit as I know the Honeywell brand I thought Honeywell would make a good product. I live in Florida so we spend a lot of time outdoors. We needed 2 units so we could plug one inside & one outside the house by the pool. The distance from the door to outdoor pool area is less than 25 feet. The unit including the bell pusher is well built but you have to use the 2 sided tape to stick the bell pusher to your door frame or door. If you need to take it off (as I've had to do-see below) it leaves a mess & it takes some time to clean the residue of the tape/glue off. Screws are provided if you wish to make a more permanent fix but there are no pre- drilled holes in the bell pusher- presumably to stop water getting in if you use the tape instead.

The system seemed to work OK but now it only works intermittently which is more annoying than it not working at all. The other days I was waiting for a UPS delivery that had to be sent straight back - ie I needed to refuse delivery. Guess what? UPS did their typical- rang the bell & left the box on the step! Grrrrrrrrr!! The bell didn't work. Not UPS's fault but I was mighty unhappy with the door bell!

My front doors are steel plated hurricane doors but the signal does go through them- when it feels like it! I've tried the bell fixed to the door & to the frame. Sometimes it works but more often than not it doesn't or it may after several tries. People only ring once, wait a while (unless your a courier that is!) & ring again. They don't know your bell systems not working! It usually works on the 3rd or 4th try but no ones going to ring that many times!

I'm returning them to Amazon asking for replacements. I like the units (far better built than others I've seen) & I hope I've just been unlucky with a faulty batch (they're made in China). I hope they accept them back because the (usually impossible to get in to) bubble pack was thrown away before we realised the problem. If you buy this unit I recommend you keep all the packaging in case you need to do a return.

When I get the 2 replacement units I hope they work & I'll post an updated review.

I wish someone would come up with a wireless door bell that has a "sender" unit that you could attach immediately inside the door frame on the inside of the house (connected by wire to the bell on the outside). There must be a Boffin out there that could come up with this- I'd buy one!



UPDATE



Amazon very quickly replaced both units- even without getting toe old ones back first! Another reason from buying from this great customer focussed company. The new units work perfectly. I must has got 2 from a bad batch- which leaves a question mark over quality control. To date we've had no problems with the replacement units.

I have been using this door bell for a few months now and I have been very happy with the performance. And the flashing light feature is great for anyone who is hearing impaired. I agree with the other reviewer that pre-drilled screw holes would have made the install a little easier.

The ringer works great and as advertised. Loud, and wireless! However, this ringer allows two methods to mount it on a wall. It comes with either screws (where you can screw it in a wall) or it comes with this two sided stickie (wehre you can stil it to the wall). The sticker did not work that well for us. It fell off the same day which did not bother us much, in fact we were half expecting it. I then proceeded to get my drill out and was ready to screw the bell to our outside wall. However, looking everywhere I did not see a place to put the screw through. I was shocked. Am I really supposed to make my own hole through the actual unit, not knowing if I am going to damage anything? I found that hard to believe. Like a typical man I was doing this without reading through the instruction manual. I swallowed my pride, fished out the booklet and looked through it for the instructions in how to use the screws. I found the area and saw that there in fact is supposed to be an area to screw it through. Now either our unit does not have this hole or this is a giant overlook by the manufacturer. I think it is misdesign or hopefully it was just the unit I bought. Oh well, I purchased some gorilla glue (reviewed separately), glued it on a piece of wood, and screwed the wood into the wall. Improvisation! Although, the bell it self is great! - Doorbell - Door Bell - Cordless Doorbell - Wireless Doorbells'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Wireless Door Chimes - cordless doorbell, doorbell cordless doorbell Wireless Door Chimes - cordless doorbell, doorbell