Wednesday 17 February 2010

Healthy Eating - green, family cooking


I have been cooking with Aviva's first Scramble cookbook for two years now and my whole family has enjoyed her recipes.



When I saw she had a new cookbook out, I requested it immediately but was a bit unsure whether it would live up to the first one. I should not have worried - I think this one is even better! There were so many recipes I loved that I have too many pages to dog-ear, and I anticipate this being used weekly in our home for a long time.



Best improvements:

1. Better organization - While still categorized by seasons (which I find extremely helpful), now the fish/meat/pasta recipes are put together so that you can easily select from the right style of meal. At the beginning of each 'season' every recipe is indexed by page number so you can easily flip right to it.

2. Side dish recipes are now included in each recipe, instead of having to flip to the back of the book

3. Very helpful side-bar articles and tips (and very up to date - including the issue of BPA in canned goods, composting tips, and lunch/snack ideas)

4. Really good recipes! There is great variety in here with a focus on lots of fruits/vegetables and interesting spices. Nothing bland or boring.



I highly recommend this cookbook!!! SOS! The Six O'Clock Scramble to the Rescue: Earth-Friendly, Kid-Pleasing Dinners for Busy Families

This is an unbelievably good cookbook. First, the organization is great- everything you need for a dinner is laid out together; the side dish suggestions are great & recipes are on the same page; the weekly menus are helpfully grouped with the related recipes. More importantly, the recipes are written in a clear and easy to follow style- and they cook up as promised. And, critically, the recipes are so successful that we have already adopted several as household staples- and we're still in the first couple weeks of using the cookbook.



The only, relatively minor, caveat is that Ms. Goldfarb's children are clearly better at eating certain foods than mine are. I would love for them to cheerfully eat a black bean salad, but alas they have not yet seen the light. But I live in hope, and in the meantime, I can make it & eat it myself.



I have quite a lot of cookbooks, and have given away even more, because the recipes didn't live up to the book around them. This one is a keeper.

I've cooked several things from this book and they've been delicious. I swear the author has special skills: even dishes I don't think the kids will like they love. It is scary! Thank you so much for a fabulous cookbook.



How about doing a breakfast and lunch cookbook?

Looking for easy, delicious, and healthy recipes? I highly recommend this cookbook! It's by far the best family-friendly AND healthy cookbook I've seen. My husband is the family cook, and he loves making her recipes because they are easy and always well-received by the kids--a hard feat.

I really enjoy The Six O'Clock Scramble cookbooks. This latest one incorporates healthy, tasty recipes with keeping our earth clean and healthy. I enjoy being in the kitchen and cooking meals for my kids and my husband that I know will nourish them and will tread lightly on our planet, as well. Truly the best part is that these meals can be ready quickly... when the natives are hungry - they don't want to wait. Some days we don't get home until dinner time - so I'm tempted to just order pizza or run to Taco Bell before we get home.... But I know it's not good for anyone to do that. So I am so happy that I have an alternative. SOS helps me get healthy food into the family in just minutes. I highly recommend SOS! The Six O'Clock Scramble to the Rescue. Your family with thank you :)

I've been a happy Scrambler since 2009 using the online service. I was so excited for her new cookbook to come out as well! Her approach to meal planning and her incredible recipes have made such a difference in my life.



I have a challenging household of eaters, and these recipes work for everyone. I have a very picky eater (age 5) and another child (age 9) that will eat anything. These recipes appeal to both children. Many of the recipes can be tailored to the picky child's needs (like separating the ingredients, or adding sauces later after dishing out his portion). My non-picky eater and my husband think I am the best cook in the world now. I'm also a vegetarian, and the rest of my family isn't, and Aviva includes an incredible number of recipes that either are already vegetarian or can easily be made vegetarian. For her chicken dishes, I'll use Gardein "chicken" for my portion. I no longer struggle to find recipes that appeal to everyone. Some of her recipes may not sound traditionally kid-friendly, but my family loves them. I've learned to trust her.



I'm able to give such a high rating on a new cookbook because her recipes have already been tested on her clients. You can be sure if they made it into the book, many families have already given them their highest ratings. Some, I've even made before and have become family favorites. Don't miss Gnocchi Dokey, Mango and Black Bean Salad, or the Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Tomatoes. There are too many to list.



I only go to the grocery store once a week now, and we rarely eat out or get take out anymore. Why? Because I have a plan. Even better, we actually eat the leftovers since they are so delicious. We eat so much healthier now and have tried so many new vegetables that I've never known what to do with before.



This cookbook has many sidebars of interesting information as well as her menu plans and recipes. Each plan is divided into seasons, to take advantage of what is in season. If you buy this book, you literally have your meals planned for a year.

I'm someone who finds it terrifically challenging to keep my family fed. I enjoy cooking when I have all day to wander a farmer's market and prepare some snazzy recipe, which happens exactly NEVER anymore. Time constraints combined with my concerns about our health, the environment and our finances have made cooking dinner into an opportunity for an anxiety attack.



Before I opened this book, I never considered the fact that cookbooks aren't generally written for busy moms (duh). These recipes have short ingredient lists and prep times, plus they're yummy and healthy and arranged by season. Such a relief. There are weekly menu suggestions. Corresponding shopping lists are even available on the website.



I haven't tried it yet, but you can also get a subscription to weekly meal plans, recipes and shopping lists through her website.



Seriously, it's genius. - Cooking - Green - Healthy Eating - Family Cooking'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Healthy Eating - green, family cooking healthy eating Healthy Eating - green, family cooking