Tuesday 5 January 2010

Gift Idea - lamy, clear


I am a college mathematics student and thus i find myself writing a lot. I write notes in class, recopy them, write down proofs over and over, as well as write out a lot of homework. Being a student means that I'm also on a budget! Thus, having a nice, inexpensive pen is key to my success.



I love fountain pens over ball point pens because you don't have to press so hard to write. Pressing hard for so long turns writing into a painful task. This particular pen is actually designed for comfort and I have no problem writing with it for hours on end. It has a slightly triangular grip which makes it easy to hold, and it is also very light. The strong clip on its cap is such that the pen never rolls off any desk.



The nibs or tips of these pens are very strong and can take a lot of abuse. They have the same fine craftmanship as the more expensive lamy pens, but, the body being made of a plastic makes these pens very affordable. I am no expert on plastics but the one this pen is made from is a very high quality and strong. I don't imagine the body of this pen would break even if you drove over it in a car.



Adding to the inexpensiveness of these pens is that, with a converter cartridge, they are also refillable. You have to buy this cartridge separately, but it is only a few dollars, and available wherever the pens are sold. With an extra fine nib, one bottle of ink easily lasts me a year and I drain a normal pen in a day or two. The clear plastic converter cartridge is one which you twist in order to refill it. I like the cartridge much better than the more traditional squeeze and fill ink bladders which are messier and you can't see how much ink is actually in them.



This pen in particular has an interesting look. It is see through, which is fun to look at but also helpful because I can see how much ink I have left and know if I need to refill it before class.



A decent single use pen can cost you 5 dollars easily. The initial price of this pen is more but it will last you forever as well as spoil you with a writing quality far above that of a decent 5 dollar single use pen. Fountain pens in general have a timeless style and this one is especially good looking. It is designed for comfort and most of all, its really cheap! Lamy Safari Vista Fountain Pen - Demonstrator Clear, Extra-Fine Nib L12XF

Of all the fine pens I own (including Montblanc, Pelikan, Waterman and several antique pens) the Lamy Safari is the pen I use the most. As the previous reviewer mentions, it's supremely light, which supports/encourages long bouts of writing, and the nib, while steel, is flexible but strong and emits just the right amount of ink for consistently legible writing (I prefer the Fine nib). Additionally, one can pull the nib out from the plastic casing to better clean the pen, when called for, something one cannot do with many other fountain pens. Overall, Lamy makes a great product across the board, but for a fountain pen under $30, there are few on par with the Safari.

Strong clip, tough workhorse pen in a shape that won't roll off the desk, comfortable grip, and cool see-through body gets this pen noticed at work. Make sure to get the EF nib though, which is similar to an American fine. Anything else is hugely broad in my view. broad nibs take up too much ink and are not as comfortable to write with, but that is a very debatable opinion, I realize.



The nib has a unique velvety feel to it and is firm, but not a nail, meaning it has a teensy bit of give. I see architects with these sometimes, because they have a cool gadgety look. Lightweight pen is very long with the cap posted. I really should get a few more of these, though the clear one is the coolest-looking. Get a syringe (and good luck with that; no one will believe you are not a drug addict) and fill up your empty carts each time to avoid tossing plastic, or use a converter.



This is strange, but my handwriting is slightly different depending on the pen I use (and I only write with fountain pens). I really like the version I get with this pen, so I guess I can say the Lamy Vista improves my handwriting. This is from a person who has hundreds of pens, mostly low-end, good quality workhorses from Pilot and other Asian companies. I still love my German Lamys and Pelikans too. Write on!

It's a quality pen, writes smoothly and without skipping. The Lamy logo on the vista is not molded into the plastic as with the Safari, rather it is printed on with a silver film, which is prone to scratch if it mixes in with keys and the like (my pens take some abuse as I clip them inside the pocket of my jeans). I find the EF nib often more practical than my F Lamy Safari or F Lamy 2000 (which writes more like an M). The Vista is my current every day carry pen. Pick up a little red converter as soon as you can, it not only allows you to use any bottled ink (I love noodlers) but it looks pretty cool in the clear body too.

It is a big plastic pen. The Vista Demo Clear is practical that you can tell how much ink left. I used it with the Z24 safari converter with Parker Quink ink. The Extra Fine nib is wider than fine, not extra fine. The width of it is mainly depends on the paper you use and the speed you write. In brief, it is a very good fountain pen.

I'm essentially echoing comments similar to the aforementioned. The Vista arrived with an extra-fine steel nib. The Vista, with its transparent barrel and cap, brilliant inner chrome workings, and red Z24 converter is a very cool looking pen to me ... modern, hi-tech, and light weight. This is a high quality pen, and for the price, perhaps the most value-based fountain pen on the market. The extra-fine nib with the Z24 converter writes smoothly, evenly and without skipping. So, in addition to a great nib, there's an excellent ink flow system. The Z24 fills completely and I recommend it highly. The Lamy logo while not molded into the plastic looks appropriate for the Vista. The clip works very well which is good for me as I am a bit nit-picky about clips. The cap is a friction fit which I like for fast access, and it has just enough oompf to it while not being so strong that ink gets sucked out on cap removal.



This is not a pen with heft, it's light in weight. I find it most comfortable uncapped and not posted when writing. When posted it is very long, top heavy, and for me too awkward feeling. Additionally, one can pull the nib out from the plastic casing to better clean the pen, something one cannot do with many other fountain pens. You don't need to press hard for the ink to appear on paper which relieves hand strain. I find the extra fine nib to be perfect for everyday uses. The strong clip is a yielding one, the shape of this tough workhorse will prevent it from rolling off the desk, and triangular thin grip is strange for me, but isn't bad. I definitely recommend buying this pen. - Fountain Pens - Clear - Lamy - Pen'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Gift Idea - lamy, clear pen Gift Idea - lamy, clear