Friday 8 January 2010

Exercise - training, exercise


Overall, I am glad I purchased these ankle weights. I love that the weight is adjustable so I won't have to run out and buy more weights when I'm ready for something more challenging. They are pretty comfortable; my only complaint is that if the velcro closure is not lined up perfectly, then sometimes the rough side of the velcro rubs against my skin. Sometimes I have to adjust the velcro in the middle of my work-out, a little annoying. However, given the choice, I would have bought them again. Danskin Adjustable 5-Pound Pair Ankle Weights

IMO, these ankle weights are DANGEROUS and should be RECALLED.



They do not appear as in the current picture. They contain a large pouch on the front (as worn, middle as resting flat), filled with sand. The pouch sits on the front of your foot, and gravity pulls the sand to the bottom of the pouch, making all the sand weight balance precariously on top of your foot (or your shoe/sneaker). Gravity then works further on this weight, to pull it to the side (usually the inside) of your ankle.



There are two heavy, hard metal bars in pouches on either side. These weights are supposed to rest on the sides, toward the rear of the leg. However, as gravity, assisted by body movement, pulls the big pouch of sand to the side, one bar begins to rest in the front on the bone, while the other begins to rest in the rear on the tendon. As you move, these bars bang against your bone and your tendon, potentially causing pain and damage. This has caused me enough pain, to the point at which I had to halt my workout.



I have tried various methods of positioning and fixing in place the weights. Some slowed the movement, but none stopped it. IMO, this product is simply not worth the risk.

The product is robust (I thought it might be kind of wimpy coming from Danskin vs. say a product called Everlast). The velcro fasteners work very good and the Danskin material is soft to the skin. I like my purchase.

I wanted to point out a few things that weren't clear when I bought these weights:



1. Each band is equipped with removable weights (2 1lb bars each) so you can lighten them if you need. However, the inserts are not made of sand, but of metal, and are very hard and can bruise your ankle bone if you leave them in.



2. The box says that these are NOT to be used for running or walking.



3. They are too big for me, I'm a size 4 female with small ankles and I positively swim in these. So be wary if you want them to fit snugly.



My rating is partly based on disappointment, I bought these because I thought as they were designed for women they would be small enough to fit me, or at least adjustable. And I thought I could use them for hiking.

These weights are exactly as described. They will fit a variety of leg sizes and are perhaps the most comfortable leg weights I have owned to date. I use them daily, usually for an extended period and I am very impressed with how durable they are. - Training - Adjustable Ankle Weights - Exercise'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Exercise - training, exercise adjustable ankle weights Exercise - training, exercise