Thursday 26 November 2009

Wireless Speakers


I owned a couple of the LG BD570 models but wanted to add the surround sound without having to buy a seperate tuner. This was a very nice update over the 570 model, the sound is actually quite good on both movies, and music. There were some reviews talking about music sounding hollow, but for me it really sounds great. The wifi works nicely for both streaming and home networking. The wireless rear speakers made my life so much easier without having to run wires across my living room. The new LG Smart TV is great, though I recognize some folks may not agree since it seems to be in it's infant stages. But, what they have works wonderfully. I also love the integration with my iPhone. Since I am stationed in Japan, finding good TV is hard to do, but Smart TV fits my needs with the help of a VPN. Hulu is scheduled to be available on it in another month or two which will only add to the appeal.



I highly recommend this unit. It's a great all in one, 3D BD, Home Theater, Radio, Media Player, Internet TV. LG LHB976 1100W 3D Blu-ray Home Theater System with Smart TV and Integrated Wi-Fi

First of all don't expect the LG LHB976 to blow you away with mind blowing surround sound. It's good enough for you to enjoy the sound effects of 5.1 movies and TV. But your room won't shake, rattle and roll. The passive sub-woofer can't deliver the booming effects you'll get from a powered sub. And that also limits this from being a great music system. I do really like the Integrated Wi-Fi and Smart TV aspects of this however. And the wireless rear speakers are just what I needed. Please be aware the rear speakers are actually wired to the Wi-Fi transmitter(Which works great by the way}. So you do need an electrical outlet, and you'll have wires running from the transmitter. The Smart TV is a bit complicated in the initial navigation, but with a little trial and error you'll figure it out. For an inexpensive surround system I think it's well worth the money. If you have a small enough room, and can spend a bit more, I would suggest the Polk Audio SoundBar 50. I couldn't keep mine because the room was to big for the surround effects to work. But I'm telling you with a powered sub, that thing did blow me away.

If you don't care about Smart TV, the LHB976 is a good system and essentially the same as the LHB975, with a few improvements:



1. Wired subwoofer. This eradicates the main criticism of the LHB975 (wireless connection to subwoofer would fail).

2. 3d blu-ray.

3. Updated and faster interface (especially for Netflix).



So why only two stars? Because I hate being misled. The LHB976 is nothing like LG's Smart TV, despite the advertising.



DISCLAIMER: I originally had the LHB975 and the subwoofer failed (a common problem). After waiting weeks for a replacement part and being told I would be charged $70, despite falling within the warranty period, LG changed their mind and offered to refund my system. Impressed by this move, I purchased the LHB 976 to replace the old system. Despite my doubts about buying another LG system, I was excited by the descriptions on LG's website of the "revolutionary" Smart TV and fantastic new remote.



LG's website claims that when you buy the LHB 976, "you get ... an LG Smart TV experience, next generation in entertainment organized within a simple interface." That's a joke. There is nothing in this system that's at all "revolutionary" (LG's language). You don't get anything like the Smart TV features available with the ST600 or competitor systems. For example:



1. No Magic Motion Remote Control. In fact, I'm not even sure that it would work with the system if purchased independently.



2. No Hulu Plus. This makes no sense to me. Samsung, Sony, Google TV, and even LG's other "Smart TV" devices have Hulu Plus... just not its Blu Ray players or home theater systems. LG should be honest about this, especially for people hoping to use Hulu to replace Cable.



3. Inferior interface. No website viewing. No antenna/cable input. Apps can't be viewed simultaneously with live TV. The few "customizable apps" are a joke. Amazon, Vudu, Netflix, etc. are great -- but those have been available on Netcast for years in essentially the same format.



In sum, it's absurd to advertise this system as "Smart TV" with a "next generation" of content when it provides less than what Roku, Samsung, Sony, Google TV, Apple TV, and a Windows Media/Boxee setup has been providing for some time now. On the other hand, if you only care about the 3d blu-ray system with decent sound quality for the price, this is fine (I don't have 3d tv so I can't review the quality of the 3d, but the sound is the same as the LHB 975 as far as I can tell).



If there's any justice, LG should ship out the ST600 to customers buying the LHB 976 -- especially those who stick with the LG brand out of (misguided?) loyalty. Otherwise, what's the point of this system instead of a competitor's?



***UPDATE***

LG recently emailed me saying the Hulu launch is "expected at the end of August," but that date is subject to change.



Rather than wait, I ordered a Roku and am extremely happy with it (it's very cheap for what it does). If you don't have a 3d TV you plan on using a lot, I would recommend getting a separate sound system, a (cheaper) regular blu-ray, and Roku. That makes it easy to upgrade the blu-ray separately as prices go down and 3d movies become more common, but in the meantime you get all the benefits Roku has to offer.



***UPDATE***

Hulu Plus is finally available. It has the same interface as Roku. This is a significant improvement and means that the LG system can now reasonably call itself "Smart TV," though I still think it's just a marketing gimmick (and it's nothing like what LG advertises as its Smart TV -- no special remote, no special live TV functions, etc.).'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Wireless Speakers Wireless Speakers Wireless Speakers