Wednesday 4 November 2009

Video Games


This game is classic Duke Nukem. Starts off slow but picks up momentum later on. The items you get with the Balls of Steel Edition are fun, however the deck of cards are smaller then I thought they would be. All in all its a worth while game. Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition

I had preordered this, and while I waited for it to arrive, its reviews, both as a game, and the extras for the Balls of Steel edition, made me sort of nervous. Had I made a misstep?



But then it arrived, and I was reminded that trust in Duke is never misplaced! I don't really see the validity of the complaints leveled against this game, and can only imagine they were made by people unfamiliar with Duke Nukem as a whole, or who let themselves get Phantom Menace Syndrome over it. The game does sometimes lag for a split second, but it's never gotten in the way of my enjoyment. The graphics are fine enough for me, the load times are like 30-35 seconds at the worst, the puzzles are interesting, and if you play well, you won't be seeing too much of them, the weapons are interesting, and I like the levels. The game's flaws don't hamper it being super-fun. I was glad to see an FPS that's not a thinly veiled commercial for the Army. When's the last time you played one of those?



The Balls of Steel extra goodies are also wonderful! I don't understand how anyone could dislike them. There were some that I didn't care much about, like the sticker and papercraft, but they were still well done. The card deck, while small, is still really cool, as are the chips and dice. The bust... what did you expect, a foot and a half tall statue of Duke Nukem? It's not incredibly big, but it's well made, well detailed, and better than most game extras like this I've collected. The comic is cool, the certificate's nice, and the postcards are pretty spiffy. The art book is an absolute treasure, and its craftsmanship is remarkable.



To summarize, the game's amazing in spite of a few flaws that don't hold it down, the Balls of Steel edition is even better and well worth the money, and all the bad reviews in the world can't hide that Duke is still the King. If you don't go in expecting some ultra-masterpiece that will revolutionize gaming and extras that include full poker sets and life-size Duke Nukem statues, along with a bucketful of other goodies, you're in for an awesome time.



Carpe Nukem!

I pre-ordered the special editiom and was really happy with it. Great art book, cool little statue, awesome comic and more. The game itself i enjoyed. Not the sharpest graphics or load times by modern standards but all in all a fun game. Excellent single player game that is pretty long. Give it a shot. Its something different from same old same old war games.

This game was alot of fun and came with alot of stuff in the special edition, anyone who has not played it before should pick this up. The game is a good length, story is good, there is alot of mini games as well which just add more to the the game. like i said there is alot of stuff that comes in side the box. so here is a link to an unboxing, it will should you everything thats inside.

<...>



another thing shipping was done very well and i got it next day.



all in all it was a great buy, and i think anyone could enjoy Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition

well, Im not going to say much about the game, I will only say I like it.



about the extras...



the bust is pretty cool looking, but it' s very small, 4,5 inches tall, the mini card deck is really mini and you cant play with those cards, they are not flexible, I was very disappointed with this cards, the dices are cool, too bad I dont use dices, the poker chips, useless, postcards are cool but the card I wanted was not in the package, the one with duke wearing an MMA belt in a cage, the comic, sticker and the book are pretty cool.

99 dollars for this was a lot of money

The Game so far is a bit better than what others have stated, a kind of disappointing that ya can only have two guns !

I was hoping for more of them girl's (lol) at the beginning and through the entire game, but the bad guys are a bit

of a pain to kill with limited ammo and finding more, glad to be able to pick up ammo w/out needing to look at it and

press a button to pick it up.,

I should of bought this for Xbox360, witch I think it was meant for, but I like PS3 & the controllers better IMO.

The contents if Duke Nukem Ball's of steel:

The bust was exactly what I thought it would be(size), some people were disappointed by their reviews...not me "two thumbs up",

the C.O.A. was a bit off I think, not sure how they state its Limited and how many were produced, we'll see...

The comic book is a bit smaller than I was hoping for & the deck of cards but I knew they were going to be small.

The poker chips & dice are cool, wished the chips would of been made out of a heavy plastic or metal.

The Book is a bonus to me, I like collecting them and gives a bit of details not found any where else.

The cut out, sticker & post cards is not that important to me, but fun to add to my collection, so they are kinda a bonus too.

These reasons is why I have to give this a 4.50/4.75 instead of 5 Stars it would truly deserve,

if 3D realms would have put a bit more work before releasing this edition.



Thx Amazon.

This game is awesome!! I can tell 15 years of thought really went into putting it all together!! I'd buy it 10 times over!!! Love it!! The little extras in this bundle are worth it!! FYI the deck of cards are not really useable! Very tiny!! The bust is also pretty small! :( Overall pretty happy with it though! Some small items to class up my gaming area!!

I'm not a huge fan of FPS games, but I was a big fan of games like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom back in the day. I had been waiting 14 years for this game just like all the other fans. This game is notorious for being the biggest joke in the industry, but it finally happened. Was it worth the wait? The answer, quite simply...is no. Not even close.



First things first...the graphics suck. The textures are mostly low-res, so when you get close everything looks super blurry. Heck, you can even see pixels in some objects that are a few feet away from you! If this was on the PS2, the graphics would be fine, but considering what this gen of system is capable of, it's completely unacceptable.



What else is wrong? The fact that you can only carry 2 guns. Duke is supposed to be a 1 man army, but how can you feel like that when you can only pick between 2 weapons? The sad part is that most of the guns lack a real punch, so you'll mostly be sticking to your trusty shotgun. The shrink ray and freeze gun are fun as well, but aside from those and the awesome Devastator you probably won't care too much.



There are long sections in the game that are very annoying, specifically the driving sections. They're really bad and I couldn't wait for them to end. The parts where you get shrunk down are also a horror. Not just that, but the loading time in this game is insane. It takes over 30 seconds, and considering that the game is broken up into so many small chapters, you will be waiting a LONG time. This is totally inexcusable.



The platforming is spotty, but is usually decent enough. The worst part of all though are the boss battles. Every boss MUST be killed with a turret or explosive. So, along with the fact that you only have 2 weapons, 1 will usually have to be one of the 3 explosive guns, limiting your choices even further! You shoot, head to the ammo station, dodge, fire and repeat. This is NOT fun in any way, shape or form.



The good points? Well, the collectible items this package comes with are very nice. The comic is short and stupid, but good for a quick read and a laugh. The art book is pretty sweet as well. I also really like the dice and the bust is a pretty good size; very well made and detailed. Also, if nothing else, Duke's trademark humor is intact. The main reason I kept playing through this terrible game is to hear what he would say next. His insults to the enemies, as well as little jokes about other games are downright hilarious.



14 years in the making, multiple studios and this is the best we can get? What a joke. Hopefully if they make another one, they will be able to start from scratch and return the King to his former glory. This game was definitely a HUGE letdown and I recommend staying far away from it. If you feel you absolutely MUST play it for some reason, borrow it from a friend or rent it. Don't say you weren't warned though.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Video Games Video Games Video Games