Thursday 29 October 2009

Swiss Army Watch - camping, gift idea


I got this watch as a gift several years ago. The battery only seems to last for a couple years at a time but I don't mind changing it.



This is a great watch with military simplicity but enough elegance to go with anything. The surface is has yet to get a scratch despite a lot of hard use.



Absolutely silent to boot (no ticking). Victorinox Swiss Army Men's Original Leather Accented Watch #24220

I've had two of these now. The first one I bought from an Air Force BX in the late 1980s. It last forever in challenging environments. My first one last me over 10 years and considering that I could do a watch in within a year before, that was outstanding. I have had my second one for at least that long now without any signs of it giving out. It's pricey, but worth every dime.

Had the watch 1 week, gained mere 4 seconds. Does everything I expected, am really liking it. But I had to replace the band to wear it as the original was too big for my wrist. When I called Mr. Watch about returning it, they said if it wasn't broken they would charge 10% for a return plus shipping. So be sure before ordering because you aren't dealing only with Amazon here.

Good watch, but bad warranty or design, for you have to send the watch to a Victorinox authorized service center just to change a battery or you will void the three year warranty. In my case the nearest authorized service center is over 100 mile away. I called Victorinox and yep, that is true. "All timepieces that fulfill the terms and conditions of our warranty, including battery changes, must be repaired by a Victorinox Swiss Army Watch SA authorized service center. The warranty becomes null and void if the case-back is opened (for repair or battery replacement) by anyone other than an Authorized Service Center because improper resealing compromises water resistance."



Well I know of no man (man's watch) that would want to say "Oh, my battery has died on my watch, so I need to box it up, pay to mail and insure the watch and then do without the watch until some day they return it." Oh, I forgot how mention how much my nearest service center will charge to put a new battery in it and return it - well it would be over $37 to put a new battery in and ship it back.



That is dumb! It is a bad design if it so hard to open, replace a battery, and then close the back cover correctly.

I like this model Swiss Army watch for it's thin clean design and light weight. Very accurate time keeping and easy to read face are a big plus for me also. I owned the Renegade model for 10 years and purchased this more expensive model recently, has the chrome trim, increased water resistance depth etc., but has same body and face size as the Renegade, for a very good price through Amazon, very good price, less then the Renegade. Classic look, won't weigh your rist down or keep it cold like the thick heavy chrome stainless bodied watches do.

I was inspired by its elegance when I saw Clark Kent of Smallville was wearing one in the famous TV show, except that he was wearing a red version. So I Googled about the identity of this anonymous watch and ended up here on Amazon, about 3 clicks away from "Placing the Order"



My first impression with it is its elegance. It goes on perfectly with almost every single outfit I wear. The white background can be very catchy in a very simple and pleasant way as comparing to Rolex's shiny and glamorous diamonds molded face. The wrist band is made with half leather and half polyester (i guess) that boasts a very sporty look perfect for my young age.



One small flaw though. The wrist band is a bit too long. Although I admit that I have a small wrist (probably because I am Asian), but even wearing this watch on the very first hole is still a bit too loose for me. I took this to a nearby watch quik-fix kiosk in a local mall and had them punched an extra hole in order to get this thing hug a little bit tighter to my wrist. But this is not a big issue, and thus is not so serious enough to take away any star rating.



I only owned this watch for about 2 weeks now and I know, based on the previous reviews, this watch can tick for up to 15 years. So I will keep update my review as time goes by.



All in all, I am very proud of my purchase. A lot better than buying one from a popular retail store such as Wal-Mart and see the guy who sit next to me in class was wearing the same one.

Este reloj me gustaba mucho, y al momento de pedirlo me fije en el tamaño de 39mm, tengo otros relojes de ese mismo tamaño y me parecio muy bien, pero al momento que lo saque de la caja me decepcione al ver lo pequeño que era, fue una mala compra pero ni modo. - Gift Idea - Swiss Army Watch - Camping'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Swiss Army Watch - camping, gift idea gift idea Swiss Army Watch - camping, gift idea