Thursday 1 October 2009

Sport Headphones - running, headphones


I am forever in search of the perfect running headphones. I run 3-4 times/week in all sorts of weather, so my headphones take a beating. I've only had these a few weeks, so the jury is still out, but I think I'm going to like them.



Pros:

-The anchor point of the cord to the neckband is behind the left ear. This keeps the cord out of the way, especially if you run the cord down your back, but also holds true if you connect to your iPod on your arm or have the cord run across your chest.



-The earbuds are the round, soft rubber type, as opposed to the more common circular, hard type (like standard iPod earbuds). This is far superior for staying in your ear and for hearing the music.



-The neckband is sturdy and shaped well.



-Having a clip is great. Some people don't use them, but I think it's essential for running.



-The price is right. There are more expensive headphones out there, but I've found that running headphones WILL develop issues after prolonged use, so it's nice if they're relatively inexepensive to replace. If these last a year they will have met my expectations and I will have gotten my money's worth.



Cons:

-The only downside is that the connection point to the iPod is straight, as opposed to angled 90 degrees. This makes for a less compact connection, and I'm afraid jeopardizes the longevity of the wires.



The sound is fine. I'm not a huge audiophile to begin with, and I'm not looking for perfect sound when I'm running.



I'll update this review after a few months, but it looks like these might be a winner, especially for the price. Philips SHQ4000/28 Neckband Headphones Tuned for Sports

The "Philips SHQ4000/28 Neckband Headphones Tuned for Sports" are the best i've found for running.



PROS:

- they stay well inside your ear

- the sound quality is good. i haven't seen a big diff between these phillips and a pair of Monster Turbine High-Performance In-Ear Speakers i've purchased recently. i got the monsters for 60 in gold box, originally priced at 120-130.

- they come with a little clip that can help you get the cable to stay where you want it to stay. pretty handy

- the neckband makes it easy to pull them out of your ear without them hanging around (as happens with normal in ear headphones). if somebody comes to speak to you you can just pull them off ,let them rest on your neck, and not worry abour them wobbling around.



CONS:



- if you want to wear them on a plane, or while sitting where you may want to rest your head against something (a bed, a good chair, etc) the neckband will touch the seat before your head, and pop the headphones out of your ear. they're made for sports, not for lying around ;)



- for a bike they aren't the best, if your riding really bent forward the neckband may touch your back and shift the headphones around.



FINAL:

the neckband phillips are the best i've tried when it comes to running. i have no regrets.



hope this helps!



rodrigo.

I've had several brands of in-ear headphones --- from the $25 level to the $100 plus. None compare to the combination of sound quality + comfort + plus ability to stay in place + no itching... these are GREAT. I even use them under my helmet when riding my motorcycle and they are GREAT for this too. I'm impressed!

I rarely review items online, but I feel these are worth it. I spend A LOT of time running (5k, 10k 1/2 and full marathons) and I have spent a ton of money on headphones that are "made for sports". I have at least 10 pairs of sports headphones ranging from $30 to $180 and none have ever worked for running...until now. I have put in 130 miles in the last 3 weeks (training for the Boston marathon) and absolutely love these headphones! I can run for 3+ hours at a time and never have to touch them. They don't move or bounce around, they don't hurt your ears like typical in ear headphones do, and they are super light. Sound quality is as good or better than any other sports headphones I have tried. If youare a runner, then I assure you that you will be happy with these. The only down side (if you can really call it that) is that if you spend a lot of time in the gym lifting weights, then they will get in the way sometimes if you are trying to lay down on the bench. Other than that, I consider them flawless!!

My goodness. First off: The fit right out of the box. They come with three different sized ear "things", and chances are they'll fit anyone. Second: they're the perfect size for your head. They're so comfortable around the back of your neck. Third: They're light weight and water proof! Really, they're the best headphones I've ever worn.

I have tried for years to find a headset I can workout with that actually fits, stays in my ears, and delivers quality sound. I'm happy to report I have finally found the headset. For years I have tried various ear buds, of all sizes and other types of workout headphones. None of the buds will stay in my ears, regardless of size or material. Other headphones have been bulky or have delivered less than quality sound. These headphones fit snugly, stay in my ears and stay out of the way - I love them. I may have to order a 2nd one just to have a spare.

For the past 5 years I've been searching for a pair of headphones that suits my needs. I work out and run every single day, about 20-30 miles a week. These headphones DO NOT MOVE. They stay exactly where you want them, in your ears! Lets be honest folks, you aren't buying these for superior sound quality, you are buying them so you can put them through hell during a workout, you just need sound to drown out the noise of your own breathing. The sound quality is much better than I expected considering they are water proof. They sound tons better then the ever so popular Skull Candy. The cord is the perfect length, and if it too long for you there is a cord clip to hide away the unneeded slack. As for the review commenting about the cord problem and "whiplash"... That is what the cord clip is for!!!!! Use it!!!! I've owned a pair of behind the head headphones before and they always got in the way when I was on a bench. These stick right close to your neck but leave just enough room for comfort. - Sports Headphones - Running - Headphones - Orange'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Sport Headphones - running, headphones headphones Sport Headphones - running, headphones