Wednesday 10 June 2009

Thermal Compound


I own a fat 60GB PS3 and it is working fine. I even fully disassembled it a few months back to clean it up from dust and what not. What I didn't do was replacing the factory thermal paste applied to the CPU & GPU (which sucks big time by the way).



I was really worried to get a YLOD as a result of that crappy factory paste (now that I've seen it for myself).



After a lot of research and praises for the Arctic Silver 5, I was just about to place an order when I found out by accident about the IC Diamond 7, reading the description and a few reviews on it immediately made me go for it.



I cleaned the factory paste in my PS3 with the Arcti Clean 1&2 Kit, and applied it.



Now, people were controversial on how to apply thermal pastes in general. Just follow the method in the IC Diamond 7 website; put a dab on the middle of the chip with an average diameter of 5 - 5.5 mm and let the compression of the heat sink do the spreading. Make sure the amount is not too little or too much.



For the 1st two to 3 hours I kept my PS3 in the horizontal position just to be sure the spreading goes perfectly fine.



RESULTS: My PS3 now is waaay quieter than before, the fan kicks in high gear when the system's absolutely in its peak performance. I'm really impressed with this paste and I'd recommend it to all PS3 owners who would like to take this preventive step before YLOD hits their systems. IC DIAMOND 7 CARAT 1.5 GRAM THERMAL COMPOUND

Short of using gallium which leaves nasty stains (and is a pain to work with),

this IC Diamond paste seems to be a massive improvement over other thermal pastes

I've used, including the popular Arctic Silver.



Before:

---------------

I run an overclocked i7 920 at 3.6 GHz using a Noctura NH-U12P "special edition" heatsink.

I originally used the Noctura thermal paste that came with the cooler. Idle temps were taken at the desktop, load was taken after 15min of Prime 95. Room temperature was approximately 22c-23c. All temperatures were measured using PC Wizard 2010.



Idle:

core 1: 42-45c

core 2: 40-43c

core 3: 44-46c

core 4: 38-41c



Load:

core 1: 75-81c

core 2: 74-80c

core 3 74-82c

core 4: 71-77c



Again this was using the thermal paste provided with the Nocutra.





After:

--------------------



I applied the IC Diamond using the recommended method of applying a small bead to the center of the processor and allowing the pressure of the heatsink to spread the thermal paste (no credit card or finger needed!). I then allowed the paste to settle for about 30min before standing the computer back up.



Idle:

core 1: 37-42c

core 2: 39-40c

core 3: 38-41c

core 4: 36-39c



Load:

core 1: 63-65c

core 2: 63-64c

core 3 65-67c

core 4: 66-67c





Conclusion:

----------------------



While the temperature drop at idle was not all that significant, the temperature

drop at load was substantial! On some of the cores the difference was

10c or more! I was highly impressed to say the least. Also keep in mind the

i7s and quad cores in general tend to run very hot. Obviously there are a

number of other factors that could contribute to the cooler temps (maybe the

heatsink was set better this time) but the new paste definitely played a large

part in lowering my temps (I'd say by a good 5-8c at load).





Next up is Re-timing my GPU to see if it lowers my temps.

Overall I highly recommend this paste if you want the very best contact

between your heatsink and processor.



5/5

I used IC Diamond to lower operating temps on my Sager NP8170 i7 2720QM + AMD 6970 laptop. The factory compound in my laptop was resulting in load temps of the GPU in excess of 100C on a couple occasions, and in excess of 80C on the CPU. After cleaning the old factory paste off and applying IC Diamond, allowing it the proper cure times, my GPU barely breaks 80C after an hour on Furmark and CPU not exceeding 70C.



I also installed this on my i7 920 file server, but because it doesn't have very high CPU loads, the cooling improvements weren't as noticeable.



This paste will not improve idle temperatures all that much, but it will drop max load temps quite significantly! I had been a long time user of Arctic Silver and Ceramique, but this beats the pants out of both of them. IC Diamond looks like the new gold standard for cooling.



Just be sure to read the application instructions, it must be applied a bit differently compared with other thermal compounds.

Just put this baby 5 minutes in a cup of HOT water



Then, apply a good chunk (around 30% to the center of the CPU)



I am running Intel Core i7 875k @ 4.1Ghz and my max temp is around 75C after hours of use



Even with Prime95 the temperature is pretty awesome



With the thermal paste that came with the H70 (which is almost non-existent), the temperature at 3.8Gz was around 85C



I admit I wasted some of that thermal paste because I was moving positions a lot, but still, it just gives you an idea of what a BIG different it made



STOCK - Intel Core i7 875k @ 3.8Ghz - 85C

DIAMOND - Intel Core i7 875k @ 4.1Ghz - 75C

I used this on my Asus G73J, did tests before and after the repaste, i play FFXIV on my Asus and without the paste it used to reach 90-95C, after repasting and cleaning up my laptop air vents and sinks now I am getting 75-81C, not sure how much the paste got the temp down since i did the cleanup+repaste at the same time but I am sure it did a great deal on the temp reduction, i highly recommend it.



Platinum Micro, Inc.:

this is the company that sells this repaste, on my first shipment i thought the needles were empty because when u try to push the paste out u need to push a bit hard since the paste is little strong, so i asked the company for a refund which i got, then found out that the needles weren't empty, i emailed them asking to deduct the amount again but they said its ok keep the items and the refund, excellent customer service.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Thermal Compound Thermal Compound Thermal Compound